Need Help Setting Up My Mining Ship

Since this is all new to me can anyone suggest what I can add to what I already have to finish setting up my Procurer mining ship.
Here’s my set up so far:
Procurer Barge (Mining Ship)

• Survey scanner II
  • Microwarp drive unit
  • Medium Armor Repairer II
    That’s it so far.
    Not sure if I want to use the Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II or a lesser version.
    This one takes 17 days to train.
    Any suggestions?

If you look at the Procurer’s Traits, you’ll notice some things that will help you fit your ship.

For example, it gains a 5% bonus to Ship Shield HPs

To that end, instead of a Medium Armor Repairer II, you’ll want to take advantage of that Shield HP bonus and fit a Medium Shield Extender II in your midslot for tank.

If I were to suggest a fit for a Procurer, I’d recommend something like this:

[Procurer, *Simulated Procurer Fitting]
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Medium Shield Extender II
Medium Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Strip Miner I
Strip Miner I

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

You don’t really need a Survey Scanner. All it really does is take up a midslot. If you want to use a Survey Scanner, what I’d recommend is fitting it onto a fast flying Frigate, warping to the Belt/Anomaly/etc. and doing a scan first, then setting up a Bookmark on each of the rocks you want to focus on. Then you fly back, reship into your Procurer and warp directly to the bookmarks.

A MWD won’t really be of use for you either. While it’s nice to have, it’s not really gonna do much when it comes to trying to save you. If you want to move around the belt while mining, your Mining Lasers have pretty good reach already, so you can just slowly boat through the belt as you go without the need for an MWD.

Finally, you’ll want to utilize some Rigs on your ship, as they provide you additional benefits. In this case, the Medium Ancillary Current Router will provide your ship some more Powergrid to fit the 2 Medium Shield Extender IIs. The Core Defender Field Extenders each give a % Shield HP bonus, which stacks very nicely with the Procurer’s innate bonus, giving you even greater Shield HP.

I’m not certain what kind of numbers you’ll see on your ship, but I get around 64k EHP with this. Enough to persuade solo gankers to think twice (or at least force them to bring a lot of friends). With a single ganking catalyst dealing on average 600 dps, they’ll need to shoot me for a little over a full minute and a half to break my tank.

Finally, in the lowslots are 2 Mining Upgrades, designed to make my Strip Miners mine at their maximum efficiency.

As for the drones, you have a 50m3 drone bay with a 25mb/s drone bandwidth. What I would recommend are 5 Warrior IIs (to fend off NPC pirates) and 5 Hornet EC-300s (as a last ditch effort to jam would-be gankers and let you escape).

Greetings, if y need guidance mail me and I will be glad to help

This is my current Procurer fit:

[Procurer, Securer T2 strips]

Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Survey Scanner II
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Modulated Strip Miner II, Veldspar Mining Crystal II
Modulated Strip Miner II, Veldspar Mining Crystal II

Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Hobgoblin I x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Veldspar Mining Crystal I x2

Here’s a T1 version:

[Procurer, Ore Procurer T1 (Securer)]

Mining Laser Upgrade I
Mining Laser Upgrade I

Survey Scanner I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Strip Miner I
Strip Miner I

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Hobgoblin I x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Fewer skills needed, and about 5M ISK cheaper.

You could swap the Survey Scanner in either fit for an afterburner if speed is more important to you.

Great stuff guys (and gals).
This is what I need to know. Though I don’t understand half of it yet I will by the time I can finally get trained. Damn…Getting trained just to mine is like getting a college degree…lol.

Question:
With your high slots taken up with your mining lasers how do you protect yourself other than with drones?

You don’t. You use drones and also your tank.

For this purpose you cannot swap out the high slots to be more defensive and still mine but you can swap out the low ones eg put in a damage control unit (DCU) for one of the mining laser upgrades (MLU).

You are flying a barge which means you are Omega clone. You have skills for at least some type II (T2) modules (mods). Let’s start with those facts and ask, do you want procurer for ore-only or would you also like to mine ice? If you also want to do ice, are you going to have a dedicated ship for each or just a single ship? My suggestion is to go a single, hybrid route.

Next you start with rigs, which is where “hybrid” comes in. First, a medium core defense field extender to increase general tank. Then both an anti-em and anti-thermal field extender. These two give resistance against specific damage types. The reason for em & thermal is these are the main damage types used by gankers in catalysts. If you don’t tank against them in rigs, you will need to address them in mid slots.

Stick with T1 rigs-only. There is no cost-benefit of using T2 rigs on a barge. There is benefit in putting on a medium ice accelerator rig, but you don’t actually need it to mine ice. It is your choice; either put it on and have a hybrid ship or stick with a ship with only tank rigs.

Similarly, barges are slow to get to warp. And getting to warp is much more important when running away than warp speed when you get there. This is called align time and is also more important to overall travel time than warp speed. Travel time might be important to you if moving around looking for different ore types, or if travelling between ore and ice belts. Here you can add a “low friction nozzle joint” in the rigs. Forget the name, it just means you get into warp, faster.

My hybrid ship suggestion is, 1) core defence, 2) ice accelerator, 3) low friction rigs. You will still be well tanked but can then change your mods for best ore, ice or travel outcomes as required.

In high slots, you have three choices and that you can swap out at any time: 1) 2 x T1 strip miners, which take any ore and are by far the most versatile option, 2) 2 x T2 modulated strips which require a different crystal for every single ore type, also come in T1 & T2 flavours (which must be trained), and usually mean you will never have the correct one in cargo when you need it, 3) 2 x T2 ice harvesters. Best advice is to use T1 for ore & T2 for ice.

In low slots you have about four choices of combinations: 1) 2 x T2 MLUs, 2) 2 x T2 ice harvester upgrades, 3) 2 x T2 inertia stabilizers, 4) DCU plus a second mod of your choice. The idea is to use MLUs on ore, harvester upgrades on ice, stabilizers if travelling (these greatly reduce align time), and the DCU if you want more tank (whether travelling or mining). If you really want more tank then use a DCU and a bulkhead in low, but you will not be able to align very fast under those conditions.

Then you have the mid slots. As suggested by others, you should have at least one T2 medium shield extender and one T2 adaptive invulnerability. The first one is like the core rig and the second is a multi-tasker against the four different types of damage. After that, you decide. If you have a hybrid set of rigs in place, then the suggestion is to add one specific shield mod for anti-em plus one for anti-thermal. But, if wanted you could still use a survey scanner; not needed but these are useful. Or, you could add a propulsion (prop) mod such as an afterburner or your preferred MWD. Limited utility on a barge but still an option.

Finally, drones. Default is probably use T2 hobgoblins as the most powerful. But, the four racial types of drone do different types of damage and sometimes it makes sense to match the drone type against the NPC in the region you are in eg sansha, angel etc have a specific drone that works best against them.

Lots of good advice here. A Procurer will serve you well - gankers normally take on weaker ships in a belt ahead of tougher ones.

@Hunter_Sertan - mining ships are normally shield fitted, any defensive bonuses are to shields and it keeps the low slots free for mining upgrades. Fitting a Procurer is s case of balancing defence against mining efficiency. A scanner is about efficiency - it tells you whether a rock will take a full cycle.
In general, the prop-mod (the MWD) isn’t needed. The Procurer is reasonably fast for a barge and you’ve good reach with the strip miners. If you are using miners with crystals always use the right crystal for the rock you are mining. And carry a spare set if you are using T2 crystals. Strip Miner I is fine. Failing that, the Modulated Strip Miner II is the upgrade. Deep Core miners are for mining Mercoxit which you’ll only find deep in null-sec space.
Don’t bother with an active tank - repairers or shield boosters. You don’t have a big enough capacitor and more importantly, it’s not really going to help - banking is about very high damage rates. You need to maximise EHP - and fill kinetic or thermal holes in your shields.

My Procurer served me will - I finally replaced it with a Skiff (The tanky Exhumer - a Procurer on steroids).

Reach out in game if you want a chat.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.