New: Hundreds of HTTP 504 API errors per day

Hello -

I have a personal tool that makes API calls to retrieve region orders (/markets/{region_id}/orders/) for one region, and character orders (/characters/{character_id}/orders/) for one character.

My app honors the etag and expiration timestamps, so I am making only one call every 5 minutes (region orders) and another call every 20 minutes (character orders). It has been running since December of last year. I have stopped and started it on occasion but my log file goes back to December through today.

Starting on September 21 (18 days ago), the number of 504 errors I receive from the ESI has jumped from 0 daily to over 200 on most days. Please see the attached graph.

When my app gets a 504 error it waits one minute and tries the call again.

I’m just wondering if there is any information on why these 504 errors started occurring at such a high rate? Is everyone else seeing this, too? And is there a prognosis for when this might be mitigated?

Thank you

It’s affecting everyone - some changes were done on the backend on that day and it has been impacting ESI ever since. Endpoints have slowly getting fixed, but Market endpoints are still degraded.

Most third party devs have talked about the issue on the EVE Discord (#3rd-party-dev-and-esi), and there is even a CSM candidate that is focusing on these issues: Ariel Rin and Third Party Development for CSM19 - #2 by Ariel_Rin

1 Like

We have been advised that logging support tickets is the best way to bring this issue and its impact to CCPs attention

1 Like