New launcher... new Linux error?

Confirm. Just installed it to separate prefix then copied it over updated launcher folder then canceled launcher update each time when it getting started. Now at least I have a way to play. Waiting for what happens first: WineHQ fix EVE Launcher compatibility or CCP make EVE great again.

2 Likes

Depending on how someone has it installed, you may be able to get it working again by installing winbind ( if you don’t have it already )

Trying to see if I can narrow down what is missing and wrap it up into an update for the Lutris installer

1 Like

Playing on linux since I started late 2006. Generally when things broke the fixes have been ready by a week or two. Also generally speaking when thing broke for us Macs had similar issues.
Remains to see if this is a side effect or deliberately breaking things. From the tone of the reply sounds like it is a permissions thing that would break permanently under Linux, though.

5 Likes

Hello CCP, I hope you are aware how many omega chars are driven on linux machines!!! It is one thing to not offical support it … but active interuption is the wrong move!

7 Likes

Hello, just to chime in here, i am also a long time linux user, and if i cannot continue to play on linux i will sadly have to drop this game. i hope you’ll reconsider your decision.

6 Likes

One more who can’t continue to play if Linux remains broken.

6 Likes

Yes I have to drop the game as well in this case (3 Omega since 2009)

3 Likes

I will no longer extend my subscriptions when they’ll expire in September if Pearl Abyss doesn’t stop sabotaging Wine compatibility.

5 Likes

Another Linux omega here–no official support is fine, but please don’t prevent us from being able to play at all!

8 Likes

Me also have 3 omegas with 1 MCT. CCPlease help us!

2 Likes

Not being able to use C++ and Qt in a competent manner only shows how much I can hope for a better engine…

No worries, I’ll see myself out. I was logging only for sp anyway.

2 Likes

CCP has never officially supported Linux, and doesn’t consider it during development as a result.

This makes business sense because Linux has a tiny (but very vocal) user base.

I used to run EVE on Linux and I am disappointed in the changes, but I moved back to Windows for gaming a long time ago.

Maybe when CCP releases the native macOS client, they will revisit the Linux compatibility, or finally release Eve Anywhere to everyone (it’s still rough right now, doesn’t save/sync most settings).

4 Likes

Not sure what to say here, as the launcher is still working here.

Arch Linux wine-6.12 (staging) all today’s updates done, quit the launcher to allow the UI update forgot to kill all eve processes. Started the launcher and got a temporary issue with accounts mostly missing except two those two had a red flag, so killed all eve processes and started the launcher again. Launcher seems to run ok and can launch clients.

Im aware they don’t officially support Linux, and that they could break it at any point. But if they knew well ahead of time that they were going to break it, they should’ve given the community a heads up.

3 Likes

How would they possibly know ahead of time? They don’t support Linux, so they don’t test on Linux.

How would they possibly know ahead of time? They don’t support Linux, so they don’t test on Linux.

Um, because they said “This change doesn’t work on Linux”, indicating that they had some awareness of this before they saw this thread? I did ask for clarification, just so you know.

5 Likes

Exactly this.

This isn’t the first time this has happened either, but we have generally just worked with it.

If they knew in advance it would break, that would be disappointing, but we will be able to eventually get it stable again. More of a case of finding out what is missing

1 Like

According to this Linux is supported with QtKeychain, provided you have GNOME Keying, KWallet or libsecret. But there is the distinct possibility that Wine doesn’t support calls to the MSWindows Credential Store which is what would be used for Win Qt.

3 Likes

Would be crazy hacky, but I wonder how much of a monumental task writing a translation layer from credential store to gnome keyring would be

Been using steam proton. What do i do now to make it work? I need a detailed explanation. Because there are so many guides that are either outdated or not working at all.