Newbie needs honest opinion on P2W accusation

Kinda funny as a debate. EVE hasn’t been about piloting skill / ability / experience / skillpoints for a long while now.

I actually read the OP a little differently than most, focusing on the quoted section.

Harry and Larry are long-term, super addicted Eve junkies. They’ve played for years, majorly boosted their stat implants, slurped down accelerators, picked up all the bonuses. They make billions of ISK per month. Their accounts are perm-Omega, they’ve trained pretty much everything but Titans and maybe supercarriers. They own all the bling you could want on a ship: Officer modules, deadspace rares, whatever. They have the best ships and max skills to fly them.

This isn’t even a stretch… long-term fanatic EVE players would pretty much have all this.

In that case, what even could Larry buy that will give him an edge here? They’ve both got max ship skills, so injectors don’t help. They’ve got the best modules ISK can buy, there’s nothing they can drop Plex or ISK on that will make those better.

I suppose maybe Larry could buy a bunch of mutaplasmids and try to enchant some of his modules to be slightly better, but that’s a pretty expensive gamble to take. Plus, Harry has billions of ISK, he can just go buy a couple muta-juiced modules too. The difference would not be overly large.

Maybe Larry could buy enough injectors to put him in a supercarrier or a Titan, but that doesn’t necessarily give him an “I win” edge either. Plus, personally, I worry if a game has P2W options where someone who drops $100 a month on a game becomes unbeatable to me (because that actually does happen)… but I don’t worry about the guy who has to drop $10,000 on the game to crush me. Because there’s likely no more than 6 of those guys in any given game, and I’ll never run into them anyway.

So I guess I have to go with the “not P2W, in the given situation” crowd. Mostly because he can drop lots of money at that point, but I can’t see it giving him all that much of an edge.

1 Like

Correct!

Without goals to work for in Eve, players would stop playing or in other words ‘winning the game’. If I could spare the money to obtain any goal immediately I don’t think I would still be playing right now.

In that exact case Larry would have paid to win over Harry, no doubt about that.
Larry would be able to purchase extra skill points, skill books. He could also purchase faction ships and faction modules so Harry wouldn’t stand a chance.

On the other hand there is 1 VERY IMPORTANT thing Larry will soon learn.

THERE’s ALWAYS A BIGGER FISH OUT THERE.
Sometimes a hole steam of them lol :joy:
So even if Larry can pay to win over Harry,
Larry will can also pay to loose he’s expensive stuff.

So in my mind it kind of goes both ways,
EVE has Pay to win but also have Pay to loose,
But mostly I think it’s Pay to get it faster (what ever it is you want/think you need.

1 Like

CCP based his heroic “inestment spending time” on catch tiger by the tail premises, and now must transform to productive phase :rofl:

There’s already way too much messages on this thread but my 2 isks would be that there are no real “winning” EVE.

Anyway, paying real cash will help to a certain degree but utlimatly you can’t call EVE a P2W in my opinion.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.