Newbro, looking for training path advice - FW focus

Long story short, I’m a newbro with around 4mil skillpoints. I’ve tried out FW and i really enjoy it - still looking for my first 1v1 win tho. I’m fighting for the caldari side, and thus with caldari ships, and its apparent i can make 2 choices with my skill training, turret vs missile, but i have no clue what i should go for first. Could anyone give me a short pros and cons? is one strictly better atm? considering i will maybe eventualy upgrade from t1 to a t2 frig or maybe a destroyer, are there any favourites in that respect? any advice is much appreciated.

here is what the professionals said on eve university.

MISSILE:

Missile advantages and disadvantages

Missiles are the second major weapon type after turrets. They come with their own advantages and disadvantages over turrets.

• They cannot miss their target, so long as your target is within range, so they will always hit. The amount of damage they do, however, varies with the target’s speed and size.

• There are four different missiles in each category, one for each damage type - EM, explosive, kinetic, and thermal. This means you can select the damage type you want to use. Certain Caldari ships possess bonuses to kinetic damage, however, meaning with those ships you might have better results using kinetic than other damage types.

• Like projectile turrets, missile launchers do not use capacitor, which means you can keep your cap spare for other things.

• Because missile damage does not depend on things like angular velocity, and there is no optimal or falloff ranges, missile damage is consistent across all ranges. Missile do just as much damage at long range as short range.

• The biggest disadvantage is probably that missile can take a long time to reach their targets, especially at long ranges. This means your damage is delayed, instead of instant in the case of turrets. This can be a pretty big disadvantage in some circumstances.

• Because the damage is delayed, some fast ships - especially interceptors - can actually outrun missiles!

• The way missile damage is calculated (more on this later) means that larger missiles like torpedoes and cruise missiles do really bad damage against smaller ships like frigates, even if that frigate is stationary.

HYBRID:

Hybrid turrets fire charged projectiles at the enemy using magnetic fields – using energy, like lasers, but firing solid projectiles, like projectile guns, hence “hybrids”.

In practice this means that they use capacitor when they fire (like lasers, though they are less cap-hungry than lasers). Pilots who use hybrid turrets will want to have good capacitor skills and to train Controlled Bursts to support their guns’ requirements. Hybrid turrets also have to be regularly reloaded with fresh ammunition (like projectile guns).

Hybrid turrets can only do kinetic and thermal damage.

The two kinds of hybrid turret are:

• Blasters , which have (very) short ranges and deal (very) high DPS; and
  • Railguns , which have (very) long-ranges and deal less DPS.

Many Gallente ships and some Caldari ships use hybrid turrets as their primary weapon. The Gallente ships tend to be more suited to blasters and the Caldari ships more suited to railguns, but this is not a hard-and-fast rule, as any pilot who flies a sniping Hecate or a blaster Rokh will tell you.

The low slot Magnetic Field Stabilizer module increases hybrid turrets’ damage and rate of fire.

edit: links to the articles.

ty for the tips my man!

My $0.02 on Skill Training: Time spent on core Engineering and Navigation skills is ALWAYS time well spent. These will help every ship you get into.

Just because you’re fighting for Caldari State does NOT mean you are restricted to only Caldari ships. That said, the Hookbill is a lovely little boat. Dual Web, Scram Rocket Hookbills are very nasty opponents.

I would go for missiles. Of the Caldari frigates, 3 of the five use missiles. I am counting the Condor and the Griffin Navy because I am starting to see some nasty brawling Condors in Minmatar FW, even though Griffin Navies are still absolute trash at solo. Although the Merlin is a good ship, it is slow, and not a good deal against flying multiple other ships. Also, with relatively short train times, it is pretty easy to ship into a Breacher or Vigil Fleet Issue with only like 5 days training Minmatar Frigate as an alpha. But as Mephi said, navi and engineering skills are the moo.
gl hf