No Downtime Discussion Thread

Is anyone else getting crazy lag? I live on the eastcoast of US. Just wondering if not having downtime has anything to do with it…

1 Like

I can confirm, I am experiencing lag where I am lagged out and then disconnected, with the reason being network interruption.

I can confirm this is NOT the reason, cause no downtime hasn’t happened yet… come back in ~12hrs and you may have something… probably not, but maybe :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

2 Likes

That’s been happening again all day and getting more pronounced too. It isn’t to do with no downtime, it is a recurring problem.

Ahh, good to know… so basically anything a player ‘enters’.

I really wasn’t.

See this is where I thought the two diverge, because it’s my understanding that even if the player base was as large (or larger) than WoW, all players still ‘enter’ the same ‘realm’, that’s the whole of point of Eve.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

Bet it crashes… :wink:

1 Like

The process that they have started is good to find and fix resource leaks that they have been managing by daily reboots, i.e. to fix the existing things to where they don’t have down time just to release memory, threads, etc. Once they fix them, they are still susceptible to re-breaking or slowing down deployments of new features, with changing staff and anything ever done under a rushed timeline. Still worth doing the resource leak review and fix, and good for their developers skills and knowledge. That is different than zero down time deployments, which takes changes to the design and release patterns they use. They already mentioned code that doesn’t allow for zero down time releases, so I know that they are aware of at least some of the issues. It’s not clear if they are resigned to them, have a full roadmap already, or are just starting to put one together. Is there something else going on, like concern about solicitation or taking away business opportunities, or seeing what I posted as arrogant or something like that?

CCP should try this : A game without players, it should be interresting to test. :slight_smile: kidding, nice challange, and we need more unuseful stuff in game.

Well in preparation, me and some friends have 1 belt left to clear and 1 entire system will be prepped to see if the static belts return.

I know I know CCP you said dont try to set any records…but we havent done this since moon mining was introduced so shrug

Festival of connexion lost this morning…

Isn’t that called NoMansSky?

I find the lack of memes on this forum page disturbing

Here you go, CCP doing what they do best:

The direction of this is good - improving available of the service by removing scheduled downtime, however in my line of work we would not make a live change and cross our fingers that nothing too big goes wrong for our customers. If testing has taken place the blog makes little to no mention and if not - why not?

2 Likes

Perhaps down-time in your ‘line of work’ has a bit more impact on the real world, and people’s lives, than a few hours down-time in a purely leisure-based spaceship game ?

eta: Yes, I realise this is heresy and I’ll be burnt at the stake…

2 Likes

If that many p[layers would login I would say EVE will have a major crash on their hands. With a player base like WoW they have to split it most probably in an Asian American and European areas just to handle the load and gone will be the days of all of us in the same EVE space as you have to choose where to login. I might be wrong but you probably haven’ t handled very large enterprise environments.

Cheers,
Roesjka

True - Yes I thought about this and I don’t work for a game company. Just seems like good practice generally not to do this.

two redbars, trig and incursions… its a thing ccp

:slight_smile: You are correct, you are wrong, but that’s ok, not everyone has.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

I Stand corrected :grin:

1 Like