No Downtime Discussion Thread

I would prefer the downtime at 11:00 UTC. Because it is the best reason for stop playing eve online.
Then i could take a shower, buying food in a store and eat with the family.
You can extend the downtime to 1 hour again, like in the year 2004, because then I cannot play eve online.

And the downtime helps to clean up the IT infrastructure. All computer systems need clean up jobs and
therefore we need a downtime to run the computer systems smoothly.

Regards

2 Likes

Maybe downtime should slowly follow the timezones, so not always be at 11AM GMT.

2 Likes

Just plain wrong. I speak as one who’s written complex multi-user networked systems that ran for weeks without needing to go down for clean-up - a properly set-up mirrored database (with transaction locking) and careful memory managment will achieve this (e.g. Linux itself).

1 Like

I just suggested this on discord chat for a corp I belong to - invoking bleats of ‘but when I would I know to go to bed ?’ - some people are just too involved in Eve…

this feels like heresy

Looks like this experiment broke local/chat. It says 2 players in system, but i see 10+ on grid …

3 Likes

Kudos for you for this experiment :slight_smile:

Thank you DeMichael. it’s perfect.

1 Like

I’m glad CCP is doing stuff for their hardware and network and coding and stuffs. In general I wouldn’t do anything right now that risks expensive innernet space ships. Whats the address to CCP in Iceland so we can send shoe boxes for the hamsters.

Edit: Correction, London

p.s. I’m actually not kidding. I would do that.

1 Like

Can you explain how is DT affecting special npcs on belts?

AFAIK all that DT does is resetting the current spawns and so you have a chance to find these NPCs straight away after DT (though I never found Mordu npcs after DT yet). They are spawning continuously with a small chance, you just have to kill current npcs and re-visit the belt later.

All this means is that you will have smaller chance to find a special npc if nobody was killing npcs on that belt or there was already a guy who only killed special npcs and left the rest. That doesn’t mean they won’t spawln, unless there is some artificial limit of how many can spawn per DT which I am not aware of.

It is very possible that this will increase the tag prices which is good for those hunting the npcs. It will just need more effort.

Yes. Constantly change the d/t so that the techies (based in London btw which 11am suits very well what with having a lot of “normal working hours” remaining after d/t in which to address any issue(s) that may arise) can work really awful changing shift-patterns.
Good one.

Why is that odd? We know of some issues, but we are not sure which of them might be most player-noticeable and have impact on the experience. During the experiment we have also discovered new issues, which may be more important to fix than some of the issues we know of.

3 Likes

We did and they were caught.

9 Likes

I would have thought that the experiment would be more meaningful if you had attempted to fix some of the obvious stuff - that way you could see how your fixes worked, or didn’t work.

I was initially confused by what your goal might be - eliminating all downtimes didn’t sound likely. I guess you want to be able to skip a few downtimes and maybe, eventually, get it to be once a week. If that is the case then your approach makes sense.

One thing that bothers me a lot when Downtime occurs is the same thing that occurs when I’m undocked and my connection goes down. The Warp System that brings me back to my Previous Position. This puts me in a very dangerous situation. The ideal would be that when I reconnect my ship, it will not automatically warp me back to my previous position. Ideally, my ship should continue on the safe-spot that was created and I decide where to go from that point on.

4 Likes

Local is getting worse by the hour. That’s a problem that would be nice if it were fixed. Started yesterday afaik and is progressing downwards again. Not using this to cuss out the d/t experiment as it was only one day and if it helped then great but please PLEASE fix local.

Please.

Properly this time though? Please?

1 Like

Which sounds reasonable, but then the newly implemented fixes may contribute to other unexpected things breaking (or worse, expected things breaking in an unexpected way), so it’s best to do it ‘in isolation’ (as much as is reasonably possible) then implement one change (fix) at a time moving forward, so when ‘random thing’ breaks it’s easier to nail down the reason and fix it.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

Running relics sites has gone to crap. Prior to this “no downtime”, could click on the nodes and get instant interaction. Now, i can click on 10-12 nodes before there is any interaction. Then they all activate at the same time. Or i can click on a node repeatedly and no interaction. Has nothing to do with my connection. I get 900up/900down witn between a 3-9 ping. Also, corp hangar dropdowns arent working. Usually undocking and redocking would fix. Have had to restart client to get it to work. lag with moving items between hangars. Even when there is only 1 item in the hangar and it is being moved to an empty hangar. The d-scan sticks after activating it (30-40 seconds)

1 Like

Confirming lag in hacking relic sites, jumping between systems in nullsec and general lag seen from the 2009 times when a 12 on 12 fleet flight was happening at a gate.

Sorry CCP, you still need your daily downtime reboots.

1 Like

or at least quality ppl working for them