No Downtime Discussion Thread

Please use this thread to discuss the No Downtime experiment dev blog.

For actual feedback on the experiment once it’s underway please use this thread. (The feedback thread will remain locked until the commencement of the actual extended uptime period at 11:00 UTC on Wednesday, December 4th).

15 Likes

Do it CCP, I’ll be at work anyway :slight_smile:

What better way to push those hamsters to the limit? No lunch break for them!

3 Likes

A no downtime experiment?

What madness is this?

Soo, guess if it works then that means no mission resets, as in no more farming Angel Extravaganza for a week?

:expressionless:

12 Likes

/me is excited.

I sadly imagine that one month after the success, the hard work from CCP employees, we will all consider “normal” to have no DT at all.
Children those days …

4 Likes

was i seeing things or did CCP Burger touch on the ‘eliminating downtime’ at vegas this year?

i swear that happened!

3 Likes

What is it with you and your fetish for CCP Burger, MacCloud…

1 Like

Every time you, CCP, change something, something else breaks. I’m not happy of that news. Also, why you don’t want reboot allday anymore? lack of personel or what? Tell it clearly, stop being slimy.

2 Likes

it’s an experiment, AFAIK

5 Likes

By experience, they always say a thing to hide another thing that is usually the “real truth”

4 Likes

As a proud recipient of the Omnom medal, I am sure this will go smooth with milk.

2 Likes

so will the asteroid belts just poof respawn at 1100?

m

5 Likes

Also what about all the other aspects of the game that are centered on / linked to DT, like exploration sites, special NPC spawns, Asteroid belts, etc?

4 Likes

yea i can see this working out just great, servers running slower than ever becasue of “excessive memory consumption”

there will be no “refresh of cache” since the daily reboot wil not be happening, and you don’t see an issue with this?

are daily database jobs going to take place on a live data base?

i’m not sure it should be happening on a live server also, why do we have to put up with a shitty running server because CCP wants to try something.

mirror your damn cluster and experiment away from live paying clients, ffs :rage:

7 Likes

I always used the downtime to my advantage, but never really liked it.

That said, we need a contest, whoever break the most nodes wins. Because that’s what’s going to happen.

Yeah, makes no sense. Just call a mass test and leave sisi running till you’re satisfied, why TQ?

I presume they will simply not take place on that day, at least that’s the impression.

2 Likes

A lot of you know that Blizzard has every wednesday downtime? Asually between 03:00 CET and 05:00 CET, for all their World of Warcraft realms for updates and/or resetting things and their player base is way larger than EVE’s. I know EVE is not the same as WoW but it might not be such a bad idea to have a look how they are doing it. Blizzard do have a mechanism to reset instances and soforth outside of the wednesday downtime that helps to control all that. You get the occasional hiccup that they have to do an emergency reboot of a particulare realm.

1 Like

Being a high-sec care bear, I don’t like the idea. There is indeed a visible drop in player activity before and after the downtime. At least in my region of space. Less players, means less risk.

So for me this is an ideal transport moment. Move to LowSec just before the downtime and pick your valuable cargo up. Wait for the server to come back and move immediately back to HighSec. You rarely see more then 1 person.

It’s not that I do this on a daily basis, but I would like to keep this helpful moment in the day to overcome my cold water fear of LS. “Downtime” is my Emotional Support Animal !! Hands off!! :wink:

4 Likes

I do not think that No DT is beneficial over DT. Instead of having a regular, predictable time of the day where CCP can do maintenance and fix things, these things will now happen randomly and will cause more inconvenience than now.

5 Likes

I do the same just after DT, specially when I am in a pickle or moving cargo. :smiley:

2 Likes

ccpsquirrels

2 Likes

CCP introduces the realistic resource harvesting model that day. The mined asteroids will not grow back in the belts.

4 Likes