Options for Alpha Rattlesnake Fit

Hi people with the recent change in alpha I decided to come back to the game and have been ratting in a VNI for a while now. Since it I gotta do something when my drones are shooting away I decide to plan ahead on my next goal: rattlesnake. Now I know that it takes a crap load of SP to fly properly but I just want to get a fit going. Since I am alpha the usual Cruise/Sentry long range snipe with LMJD isn’t an option to me. I’m looking more at a close range Rattlesnake fit. Through some research I came up with three (probably really bad but ANY criticism is welcom). I live in serpentis space btw.

[Rattlesnake, **Rattlesnake(RHML)]

Ballistic Control System II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Pith X-Type Thermal Dissipation Field
Pith X-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II

Drone Link Augmentor I
Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile

Large Core Defense Field Purger I

Caldari Navy Wasp x2

Inferno Fury Heavy Missile x250

This is the fit using RHML, has about 404 dps tank against serpentis and 990 dps.

[Rattlesnake, PvE brawler]

Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II

Prototype ‘Arbalest’ Torpedo Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Torpedo
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Core Defense Field Extender I

Caldari Navy Wasp x2

Mjolnir Torpedo x1001

Got this off of EveUni but and tweaked it a bit… 413 dps tank and 1059 dps, but to my knowledge torpedo is not usually recommended due to terrible range and ineffective against small target?

[Rattlesnake, **Rattlesnake]

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Pith X-Type Thermal Dissipation Field
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II

Drone Link Augmentor I
Cruise Missile Launcher I, Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile

Large Core Defense Field Extender I

Caldari Navy Wasp x2

Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise MIssile x1001

This isn’t really a brawler but more like a striped down version of the normal cruise rattlesnake fit. 351 dps tank and 927 dps.

So that’s the three fit I came up with. Is there any suggestion as to which one I should use? ORRRRRR, the more likely option of all three sucks, in which case can someone suggest a good Rattlesnake fit for alpha (so no LMJD and T2 cruises…)

Thx all!

1 Like

why i have this feeling that no matter what, rattle on alpha clone will never be as good/efficient for L4 as on omega clone…

I fly a sniper fit Rattlesnake, Cruise missiles and Wardens can both engage out to about 120Km. It’s a very relaxed way to run missions. Since rats burn directly toward you the angular velocity is 0 and battleship weapons are quite effective. The MJD lets you dictate range.

A brawling fit is more challenging - you need to be able to apply your dps at close range. Rapid heavies would seem to fit the bill but they have the drawback of small magazine and long reload.

Torpedoes aren’t very effective against small targets but a guidance computer with precision script and target painter will help a lot.

Likewise, a tracking enhancer can help the drones apply damage to smaller targets.

I’ve tweaked your torpedo fit to give better application and mobility. With my skills dps is roughly 1200 and passive regen against Serpentis roughly 300. Deadspace hardeners aren’t that expensive and will boost the tank a bit.

[Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake]

Damage Control II
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer II

100MN Afterburner II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script
Phased Scoped Target Painter

[Empty High slot]

Large Core Defense Field Purger II

Caldari Navy Wasp x2

Because its truth. You don’t rely on “full clear” slow battleship anymore, its more about burning through some missions in pool fast enough to cycle until you get anomic missions. You don’t need to sit inside empire borders if your intent is to shoot rats for bounties.

To Thana Archon
Your 7 slot + 3 rigs tank gives you 215 ehp/s at all 5 which you dont have, so its even less, while you have 0 damage projection boosts for your missiles and drones (your wasps have to fly from target to target at 1,5 km/s). More importantly - you don’t have a prop module, which will backfire on the first-second somewhat long L4 mission.
Use active tank (booster and two t2 invuls will give you more than enough tank if you don’t slack around), use target painter since it will affect both your drones and missiles, do smth about explosion velocity or drone movement speed, one way or another you have to increase damage projection. Pyfa might say “oh wow you have combined 1400 dps” while on damage graphs you ll see it cut by 1/3 or even more against sub-battleship size and then realize - its slow as hell missiles and drones.
Also RHML fit doesn’t work in PvE. Reload times are way too punishing. Use cruise missiles with implants for them.

i dont understand the current obsession with alphas flying rs
all the fits i see look like torture to use
they might have 1000dps on paper but it just doesnt seem worth it to me
if i was alpha id probably use something more suited for lower sp like maelstrom or hyperion
even machariel
something you can actually shoot stuff with and not have to wait 30 seconds to apply dps
and then hope your dps doesnt get blown up

1 Like

Because all the cool kids fly Rattlesnakes.

1 Like

Ok I’m sorry I forgot to specify this is intended for ratting not L4. Also if anyone thinks another ship might be better I am open for suggestion, but it’s just I have heavy drone skills in training since I’m flying VNI right now and I thought rattle would be the natural upgrade.

Fly what you want to fly and make it work for you, that’s what I say. The problem when you ask for advice is you will mostly get replies that only consider the optimal when the optimal is not always needed or wanted.

Real upgrade is the carrier. RS not worth it.

What exactly, then? Low sec anomalies?
This is how it’s going to be - you log in alt, check systems for anomalies, make safe spots in constellation, log in RS pilot, set route, fly from one waypoint to another, carefully choose anomalies outside of max scan range from warp gates. While inside anomaly - you have to be aligned and prepared to pickup/lose your precious faction drones in case you’ll be spotted.
If you ever see HAC/Faction BC or anything bigger warping towards you - warp out. Because you have useless passive tank as thin as paper, even a couple of t1 cruisers can kill you if they find a way to deal with your drones. Any gate camp - you are dead, no prop module, even one web will pin you. Pretty much everything said applies to wormhole space too, but even worse, I bet Stratios can solo kill you, and you wouldn’t see that coming. Besides, complicated logistics (fast and efficient scanning, looting, salvaging and storing/hauling) is the real problem of WH for alpha pilots.
Long story short - unless you have friends in region to protect you, training skills for Rattlesnake is a waste of time. At most - Gila, VNI or maybe Drake for alphas, but you really need omega status if you are into solo adventures, I would choose between missile path and training for Cerberus, Tengu or drone path with Ishtar.

I am in a null sec corp (pandemic horde) and we have a relatively safe place for anomaly ratting.

okay this is a little off topic but recently i went through the entire alpha skills blog ccp wrote and made an alpha skill profile for pyfa
when it comes to missile skills it seems ccp really gave missile users the short end of the stick
theses are alpha missile skillls

guided misslile precision 3
missile bomabardment 4
missile projection 2
target navigation prediction 3
warhead upgrades 3
missile operation 5

now particualrly the gmp and tnp is what bugs me
they have a max value of 15%
and idk about other players but i wont even use meduims without 25% in those areas
it just seems really crummy to use any missiles
let alone cruise missiles
with those application skills

GMP is not a big deal, you kill the small stuff with drones anyway.
TNP is about the same.

MP at lvl2 is the bad thing, but you can get some 3% implants to raise stats.

I have rattles in C4C pocket, VNIs. And actually vni is better.
Once you reach 720DPS on the vni, with very good apply, and no need to click anything besides “orbit, launch drones, recall drones and warp to next anom” and “drone engage that rat that can’t red me”, you realize the RS need a lot more actions for a small increase in gain.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.