Suggestion for new player acquisition and retention

Uh huh.

I see hundreds of players say they wish things took longer to train. Because instant gratification is killing the game.

So…

7 Likes

It’s not our, nor CCP’s, fault that the current generation of gamers have the attention span and patience of a toddler. They want the big shiny ship, but don’t want to put in the time or effort required to obtain and pilot said shiny ship. That’s the root of the issue…

3 Likes

Plex has been in eve for how long? Events have been in the game how long?
Those didn’t kill eve, but the lack of new player retention is. It’s causing stagnation, which deters people from attempting anything that caused eve to make news in the gaming world.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was anyones fault. I am simply pointing out a few ways to improve the retention of new players, which would benefit everyone. Not only would new players benefit, but so would alts. After you hit that sp mark, whatever it is (100m is just an example, it could be lower like 30-50m) you’d be back to time-grind.
I am not suggesting that new players start with 100m sp. I am saying speed it up to a certain point so that new players can experience more of the better aspects of the game.

1 Like

You’re connecting things that are not related.

Eve made the news more often pre-injectors and skilling spree…

1 Like

You’ve still not shown any actual proof that your idea would improve retention of new players.

4 Likes

For far too long. Personally, I wish they had never introduced it, nor holiday events, nor Alpha players. It should have remained a subscription-based only game.

3 Likes

Yes it did. You might ask yourself why.

Because you’ve shown the inability to think past your next quip, i’ll explain it.
Eve made the news primarily for the massive player engagements. Eve was unique back then. It isnt now.
The only way to encourage the same type of massive engagements that eve made the news with is to get people in that are willing to risk a lot. veteran players, for all their wealth, seem to resent risk.
Older players deploy tactics to minimize risk and maximize outcome, which is awesome. Except it isnt much fun. You need risk takers. You need winners and you need losers. You need them to be able to engage, and to upship, and to re-upship. You need the younger players to come in and run amok. You need the people bittervets hate.
Those people don’t and wont come and stay when there is such a long time-gate to attaining those ridiculous goals of rampage and mayhem.

1 Like

Maybe thats what CCP wanted with its press releases, but I joined for the backstabbing.

Most people I know didnt join for massive fleet actions either.

7 Likes

I am, of course, making a general statement. I spend a lot of time in rookie chat, and this is the resounding reason for why people come. There are always, and will always be other reasons, including subterfuge.

1 Like

Really? I never see you around.

Lies, it’s the narrative you WANT to create because it suits your own personal ideas.

3 Likes

I can’t comment on what you notice or don’t notice. I’m sure you spend a lot of time scrolling through the list of players in the channel. That surprises me though, as if you had spent your time doing this, you’d see me in the channel, even if i’m not commenting all the time.
I don’t know how to respond to your 2nd comment. I have made this thread because I’ve read the reasons why people come, and I tend to agree. That being said, Most of my characters are at or past the sp marks I have stated. I spend a lot of money on plex/injectors.
It appears that the majority of the disagreement here comes from bittervets that like having a significant sp gap between themselves and new players coming into eve. I mean, sure, you’re cool because you’ve been at this game for almost 2 decades?
Without new players, you wont be able to enjoy saying you’ve been at this game for 3 decades.
Without making things easier for new players, you wont have new players to feel superior over.

1 Like

Annotation 2020-02-24 174635

I don’t see you in the channel, so there’s that.
*EDIT; inb4 you comment on low number on my channel tab. I switch characters a lot.

1 Like

Can’t tell if this is an EVE new player retention thread or a stealth Bernie Sanders campaign rally…

1 Like

Please do not attempt to derail this with political commentary.

2 Likes

There’s no need to derail a thread that never got off the ground. As you can see from all of the replies, your idea has exactly zero traction…

4 Likes

5 naysayers is not enough to deter a suggestion. if it were, nothing in human history would have ever happened.

1 Like

I’ve been in rookie channel, helping folks, since 2007 pretty much. On different characters of course. I’ve made all kinds of YT guides, UNI Wiki makes use of some of my old videos, I take people 1 on 1 to explain details to them. IF someone is a regular in that channel I WILL recognise his name and your name just draws blanks. So yeah…

On newbies: Almost no ACTUAL newbie asks questions about big fights or massive fleets or whatever. Most just joined yet another random MMO to try out, expecting just another WOW or Guildwars or whatever.

The ones who DO ask such questions are pretty much invariably alts, pretending to be new. And it’s very easy to out these fake newbies, you can smell them from miles away and I generally call them out for it right away or just put their name in a notepad and guess what: it might take a few hours or a few days where they, by accident, drop their guard and state something only experienced players could know, that or they just give up the effort of trying to hide, partly because they were being called on it.

Result of all that: Almost no ACTUAL newbies came to EVE for the massive fleets fights or similar. Also because CCP stopped marketing the game as such (do they even market it at all atm, I don’t even know).

If you had actually put in time in Rookie and your agenda wasn’t so hilariously obvious, and you wouldn’t lie so much as you have displayed in these last 2 threads… then you’d come to the same conclusion.

4 Likes

Most players are in high sec. Most new players don’t sign up to become part of a massive fleet in nullsec. They want to do their own thing. Most new players spend most of their time trying to figure out how to undock. Why would you want a player that can’t even figure out basic controls to accelerate their way into a combat fleet?

2 Likes

@The_Charon you have said a lot of words, but still have not explained exactly how anything you’ve said actually helps new player acquisition and retention.

Can you show us any proof that by telling people “hey, you’ll be able to join strat ops sooner!” will help acquire new players? Can you show us any proof that telling people “hey, there’s a daily skilling spree up until 100m SP” will turn them into new players?