The Obsolescence of Subcapitals

Should Agency encourage using less popular ships like lets say thorax, and reward players for flying them?

Lol no.

1 Like

Supers were a mistake. But the cat’s out of the bag and we have to deal with it. There’s no taking them out of the game. But proliferation (due to their effectiveness) is a huge problem.

EVE used to have rock-paper-scissor between battleships, carriers, and dreadnaughts. Then supers were introduced and it’s been a balancing nightmare ever since.

One possible solution is to make supercarriers the “attack battlecruisers” of carriers - they have half the tank but twice the spank of a regular carrier, and their heavier fighters would be slow and have a terrible time tracking smaller targets. Make them have to “deploy” in order to use fighters, which turns off all active tanking/repping and increases sig radius by a lot. Their vulnerability would make them assets deployed further out from the engagement, and their full potential only to attack other capitals, and not a type of ship you’d deploy by itself in a big blob on everything. They would only do DPS, no ewar fighters or tackle fighters. Leave the utility to the smaller carriers.

2 Likes

You say that, but if I logged in one day and all of the supers were replaced with a model drone version in the style of those non-combat pets you see in every other MMO and it just followed you around and made little “pewpewpew” noises I’d think it was a pretty fair trade, all said.

4 Likes

i would like to see SCAPS/CAPS as something like this

• titans would retain their dooms days but would not be able to target other titans or structures. they can still act as a jump bridge. but lose the ability to apply command boosts (roll thair bonus in to Command hulls with improved boost AOE for the BC hulls)
  • SCarriers would become (immobile - No warp drive - vastly reduced fatigue per jump) mobile sentry platforms (with fighters as a primary weapon system.) no support fighters, all DPS all the time
  • AUX CAPS would change to a dread variant. in siege they get bonus to lock times (out of siege their lock time on sub caps is greatly increased) siege also gives a resistance boost as opposed to active tank
  • carriers change: now able to enter high sec. can fly flights of sub cap drones (network linking array and fighters are limited to low/null/WH) HP reduced to around 1M - 1.5M EHP. (can use support fighters outside of high sec)
  • Dreads change to: now able to enter high sec. can fit new Micro siege weapons system average tracking but with high locking times for SUB caps (Capital weapon caliber and HAW weapons systems limited to LOW/NUL/WH) HP reduced to around 1M - 1.5M EHP up to 1.5M - 2M EHP with active siege tank. NOTE - the Micro seige weapon system with be slow fireing, high damage, average tracking, mid range turrets that car not bonused by siege

with these changes you would adjust mineral costs to account for the new order and viability/availability of these hulls to the player base.
we would see a greater number of caps through out space with a viable weapon set for structure engagements.
HP adjustments would allow a dedicated fleet to deal with un/poorly supported capitals. and fights would become more fluid as Titans and Scarriers would not be able to Dominate the sub capital battle field.

i know this would be completely un workable to 99.99R% of eves palyerbase. i would just like to see a shake up of the entire cap line and see greater application of CCPs design legacy of R/P/S

People keep talking about Capitals being far too powerful and wanting to nerf them. The problem is the Supply.

Solution?:
{idea has been retracted]

Great!

Quick question. In this brilliant solution of yours, who has the best chance of taking and maintaining access to this very rare material: The up and coming new kids on the block, or the megablocs that already have hundreds/thousands of supers?

GREAT “solution” you’ve dreamt up, though - overpowered caps that are only available to incumbents. Not often you see someone come up with an idea to both further imbalance supercaps, and invent a new cartel out of thin air.

2 Likes

I think the fatigue changes (first incarnation) were probably a good idea and tbh i have no idea why they reeled that back a bit; i may have changed for further range (or a stain gate) but i feel the fatigue did help to reduce any cap issues whilst actually feeling somehow like it was meant to be (much like jc timers)

Perhaps they could have added a size limit on mass for cynos and made a couple of different size modules aswell as different size cyno inhibs all with differing attributes.

1400 titans coming through one cyno seems a bit ‘off’?

how exactly would the resource change alter the existing state of null sec control? The Big blocks currently have near exclusive control of key resources.

Construction of ships is already restricted to groups that have sovereignty. Defenses are concentrated in only a small percentage of systems. Anything that forces them to spread out results in weakened defenses. Weakened defenses makes it easier for “new kids” to enter the block.

While there are powerful blocs, there are reasons they have not all merged into a single monopoly.

I entered a conversation about the lack of sub-capitals in null sec combat , if you want to change the subject to null-sec political power dynamics, fine, but i’m not going to be the one derailing the thread.

Supply isn’t the problem. There’s a huge supply precisely because of how powerful they are. No amount of SP or price gating can stop proliferation. Just look at Titans.

1 Like

good way to slow down cap prolif. lock the mf’ers out of their ships.

Q:If you die, could a ship be locked and you couldn’t fly that ship again?

A:This is one of many mechanics we could look at.

That’s a great idea for CCP’s bottom line. Just skill inject up a new pilot after your old Titan dies and go again!

People don’t fly Titans on their mains anyway, unless they’re from the 2018/19 period, which is when that became viable thanks to KS.

1 Like

Before I go any farther, I need to make one of my underlining assumptions(?) clear.

I am perfectly okay with the game having an overpowered and unbalanced group of ships as long as they are rare

What I proposed earlier (I believe) will align with that. If what the player base wants is Capitals to be balanced to the point that 2-3 battleships can defeat one, restricting supply would be a bad thing.

Supply isn’t the problem. There’s a huge supply precisely because of how powerful they are. No amount of SP or price gating can stop proliferation. Just look at Titans.

Price and skill point controls are “demand side” economic solutions, they do not directly impact the (edit: maximum possible supply)

Example: The earth contains a limited amount of gold. Once that gold is used up, it does not matter how useful and valuable it is, no more can be produced. I cannot think of a single industry resource in EVE with a finite limit.

The desire and demand (edit: reflected by skill points and pricing) for a product will not increase the maximum possible production of a product. It will however adjust how much (%) percent of that product is actually created.

The real life example of demand exceeding potential available supply is rent controlled apartments in large cities such as New York. There are more people wanting the cost controlled apartments then there are available. It results in lots of economic/social fighting over those units with them remaining at near 100% occupancy.(edit2: If the government did not force landlords to hold some units at certain prices, these units would cease to exist due to demand increasing the pricing)

Which they never will be.

/argument

1 Like

If it cannot be made, it is rare

/argument

The hell are you on about? There really aren’t any trivially controlled resources in null at the moment. The closest is moon ores, and even those are pretty accessible to smaller groups.

Just about any group of jackasses can go get some sov if they want it.

Your “make it all contingent on one super rare resource” just means goons/panfam/deadco/legacy will go to where those resources are and control them, easily, in a way that cannot possibly be contested because now you’ve made it ■■■■■■■ impossible for anyone to even get the ships they need to contest it.

2 Likes

CCP already tried to resource/timegate Titans. It didn’t work. They expected 3-4 in the game. There are now thousands. Maybe tens of thousands.

Can someone tell me how to quote a person and include their name? when I click on block-quote, i get the box effect but not the persons names…

Select their text and the ‘quote’ option comes up

not empty quoting :wink:

1 Like