Time for less space

Not sure about generalising like that.

Still not convinced current sub levels are unhealthy for game.

Perhaps higher levels were unsustainable single server and we have a correction.

Need more data- come back in a couple of years.

All I know is that for me I hardly play any more. Not sure why I’m keeping my subs up. I log in now and nothing is going on. Used to be that out pipe was full of people and we had frequent visitors to our home system. Could always find action. And on the rare occadsions when that wasn’t enough we could hop into highsec for fun with the ice miners. None of that is there anymore. Ccp’s idea of fun seems to be more repetitive ratting pve agency sites. Wouldn’t mind that so much if it brought folk to our pipe but no it doesn’t. As far as I’m concerned ccp has forgotten lowsec and small group engagements. They don’t care and it shows.

Have you thought about moving?

I get that space has been busy look at the graph!

But I know that in 2008 there was loads going on in game despite the fact that people had to look for content, and could not expect content to come to them if they stayed in one area of space.

It must have been good because in about a year there were 50k logged in.

14 years is a long time for a game to exist, but what is a long time for someone to play the same game without a break?
1 year, two years, four years?

Up until 2008 growth was steady. As a result I would have been concerned if suddenly numbers fell.

But there was a huge spike c.2009, lots of new subs and players all at once, probably in part eVe going on Steam.

If lots of people start at once, then I would expect lots of people to leave at once, because while a game can last 14 years, for most people they are going to play 1, 2, 3, 4 maybe 8 years.

So until we can see if the current trend continues or levels of, I do not see cause for concern from the current number of players logged in, there may be other indicators of an unhealthy game.

But the idea that space is too big for people to have a good time and want to stay, if that was the case eVe would have died when M0o was a thing.

1 Like

That statement I made, was from a Developer’s Feed for Tiron Worlds, and their American adaptation of the Korean ArcheAge MMO. That’s the general play-style for MMOs in the Americas, that is industry recognized. Solo Play over co-operative play.

As far as I can see you don’t actually play and only post which is your hobby, why do you even bother, at least I am playing and doing stuff, two big null sec battles in the last four days…

What makes you think I dont have alts else where - I played my null sec alt a week ago - we roamed around for about an hour or two - we found an afk procurer - the rest of the time, space was essentially empty.

i could, but is it worth the effort? this thread is a waste of time and space. (pun related to the title) now even drac posted here, who still hasn’t realized that he needs to use a new char, because he completely burned this one. not that he could hide anyway. lol

Oh I’m sure you do.
I’m not saying I’m the all knowing vet, I haven’t been here for 8 years.
I’m saying maybe you’ve got used to space feeling a certain way, and the game playing a certain way.
I get that there are less people around and space feels empty to you, and that you are not finding content at the rate you used to or with the same ease.
When I asked about moving I was really interested in whether you were someone who had a home system or system and stayed within several jumps or if you really roamed about. Also wasn’t null always like that apart from the populated bits which you can see on the ig map?
What was it like before?

-1; less space will mean less players, its a death spiral idea IMHO.

2 Likes

Sorry missed this and did not reply earlier, I will do so now.
I did not read your post properly and was too hasty with my liberal agenda, gg.

1 Like

Where did you roam and in what TZ?

This subject comes up a lot, people seem to think that because they roamed in Cloud Ring perhaps, very naff space and not really leading anywhere, or had a WH to Omist and due to that that null sec is dead, I have seen it so many times before. I operate in Catch, it is busy

Why do I need to use a new character, because you think that this is the game, posting on a forum, the game is blowing up pixels and my main is what I post with. People can ignore me if they want, I don’t care, my objective is to put a viewpoint over in terms of what I feel right or wrong and people can run along and check my killboard and see that I am shooting stuff in 0.0 and that I am playing and enjoying it to boot.

5 Likes

You people are really making me think about on which jump into null I will be bubbled with gatecamp as greeting party. :thinking:

That’s my point. We may not have reached the optimum ceiling for continued steady growth before player numbers dropped, but there will be a ceiling, and if you shrink space you basically say this game is going nowhere.
IG map tells me there are heavily populated areas and dead areas, its a galaxy.
I think this thread is looking for a solution to a problem that might not be real, and if it is shrinking the game isn’t the answer, its more tools to make content so people want to do the logisitics.
Only I stand by the fact that lots of people come at once, lots of people go at once, a ‘normal’ game they would have moved on to the next product long before- doesn’t mean the products fundamentally flawed.

2 Likes

You know back in 2006 you could fly a fully expanded iteron mark v from h74-bo to jita on a saturday evening without getting blown up no joke either, I done that regular and all with all my belt ratting loot :sweat_smile:. I remember when i was with phoenix knights we done a obelisk run from h74-bo to high sec, this was when their wasn’t wormholes their wasn’t jump freighters their wasn’t jump bridges. You just couldn’t do this now or the fact you would not do that now. Actually quite funny we couldn’t warp to 0 back then we had to create bookmarks to get around it. Was warp to 15km only option.

Space is alot more crowded now for good or bad who knows but i personally feel making it smaller is bad.

2 Likes

Does the game really need to be harder?

2 Likes

Eve had been on easy mode for quite some time.

Then I’m pretty bad at this :smile:

1 Like

USA USA USA USA! #1
! YAY USA!

In this game, whatever you do, sometimes you will feel like you are a bad player or even worser than bad. Or sometimes even clueless like me.

I have been in null some time ago doing an experiment in survival when flying Astero. There were no bubbles and gatecamps there, shiny shiny, joy joy, exploration commenced.
But there was a gatecamp in low sec on my way out, with many shipwrecks.

So it was actually a trap. :scream:

1 Like