YC123 Liberation Day Propaganda Contest - The Results!

I’m out of words. thank you :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say I’m so glad you won, really like your artwork :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The judging results are confusing to say the least. Definitely unexpected and after comparing the winning submissions of the last contest with the winning submissions of this one, I’m now inclined to think these contests are not worth investing a large amount of time or effort into the submissions.

1 Like

I feel bad for saying it, but I have to agree. It seems… random, for the lack of a better word.

But congratulations to the winners.

1 Like

Thank you! Glad you like it!

At the end of the day, CCP were the judges and each have their own tastes and preferences! For me, I had fun just being inspired enough to make a few pieces of art and finally get that story written that I’d planned for months and procrastinated since!

All the entries were honestly suberb! Can’t have been easy to judge this. :slight_smile:

And while I do love a good medal, I believe it was said on stream that all the Honourable Mentions will get one at least! Though with the high level of quality, I agree, everyone deserves one for the effort!

2 Likes

I’m going to address this because I was the one to first speak out about the judges selection.

While what you say is true, it still doesn’t negate the fact that the judges didn’t even follow through with the original criteria / parameters set for the Propaganda contest.

I don’t know if you watched it or not but during the Live Stream ​they mentioned the submission of the Minmatar logo painted on a wall. Even though they praised it, they dismissed it since it wasn’t Propaganda content. Meanwhile some of the submissions they picked as winners and honorable mentions aren’t Propaganda content either. So now there’s a double standard happening.

Instead of keeping to the original criteria of picking submissions that were specifically Propaganda based content, the 2 judges decided to pick stuff that they liked, regardless if it was or wasn’t Propaganda based content.

One submission was picked specifically because they liked the colors in it and said the clothing was very Minmatar like, when the clothing wasn’t anything like the apparel currently available in-game. Another submission didn’t have any Propaganda content to it but was picked simply because the 2 judges liked it. And then there’s the fact that some submissions didn’t even get an honorable mention when they were clearly Propaganda based content which had a lot of time and effort invested into creating them.

Based on the original criteria set for the contest, in my opinion some of the picks for winners shouldn’t have won, some of the picks for honorable mentions should have won and some submissions that weren’t even mentioned should have been…

Anyway, my complaint is with the judges apparent double standard rule set and for not adhering to the original criteria / parameters set for the contest. The only other thing I have to say is if any winners or honorable mentions feel like I’ve disrespected them, please accept my most sincere and humble apology.

@CCP_Convict
I feel this has to be adressed for future competitions. We need some transparent rules on the judgement.

First I want to say, that all winners, honorable mentions as well as some pieces that were not honored show that a lot of time and effort went into creating them.
Some are focussed more on design, some are more focussed on telling a story, so it’s pretty hard to judge and It will lead to problems if there it’s not transparent how those things are judged. @DeMichael_Crimson

I feel a little bit bad, for bringing this up now especially since I participated myself.
The third ranked entry has a very good design, and judged by that, I can clearly see why it’s in the top three. That said, the supposed minmatar characters can be found online and insert copyright arguments here So how is that influencing the judgement?

Take a look

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/af/91/f5af9169408802a5a6620e5597d02c32.jpg

Even my entry used much copyrighted material from CCP like the music and obviously the ship models and textures. Without those assets it wouldn’t be what it is.

On the other hand some of the paintings or real life objects are 100% handmade and original artworks without a doubt.

If it’s not limited to a topic, the topic “Propaganda” includes some different areas we haven’t touched here like music.

How would you judge a caldari-remix of a popular song with a caldari song played on a guitar, even if the quality of the guitarplay that was 100% an original creation isn’t that good? :smiley:
And how do you even compare that to a painting? >_<

I think for future contests there should be some judgement-rules like this:

The submiussions will be rated on different topics:

• design
  • craftsmanship (painting skills, animation, guitar skills )
  • use of external sources (like music, eve models, other graphics )
  • delivery on contest topic

and probably many more I can’t think of. Having a list like this would be better than having

a crack team of CCP developers with impeccable taste

Does this team include a writer and a musician for example to judge those entries? :wink:

PS: until now, no medals for honorable mentions have been received ^_*

Disclaimer: I’m not writing this, because I feel like I was treated unfairly but there should be clear rules so everybody can understand the judgement. I was aiming for 3rd place, because I created something cool, but 90% of the work was not done by me, but by CCP musicians and ship designers and whatnot :smiley:

1 Like

Jesus wept, folks.

It was an amateur contest for an event in pixelated spaceships judged by the CCP devs who ran the event. I’d have judged partially differently but these are matters of taste. Give the guys a break and let them reward what they like in their event.

IMO we don’t need more rules & more experts, we need folks to stop taking it so seriously and enjoy the creating for an amateur art show for its own sake.

3 Likes

I’m not looking to get into a debate about this or derail this thread, I simply stated my opinion and that’s it.

Last thing I want to do is downtalk anybody’s work but since you want to focus on it, I didn’t say anything about using online copyrighted graphics. The points I made are clearly stated in my post and I won’t expand on that any further.

As for the definition of Propaganda = information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

Basically Propaganda is communication that is primarily used to influence an audience and further an agenda, which may not be objective and may be selectively presenting facts to encourage a particular perception, or using loaded language to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is being presented.

Anyway, I have no desire to continue this discussion. Like I said earlier, I simply stated my opinion and that’s it. Now if you want to make suggestions to CCP about future contests then go right ahead and do so.

My two cents are: they would just need to make it clear in the rules “we judge on our own tastes” which is perfectly fine and in the title turn it “[event placeholder] Art Contest” easy, it’s clear, everything can go in whatever it’s art or specifically propaganda and people does not complain because very nice but “normal” art won and propaganda got “ignored”. But hey, it is their contest, they are free to do whatever they want with it, the same way I’m, and everyone is, free to decide whatever to participate to it or not.

Before someone think/accuse me that I’m writing out of anger for not winning… honestly, I don’t really care who win and who not; I knew I wouldn’t win anything, I did my entry as a graphic exercise after a long long time of not doing anything like that, I was happy with my own results and that’s it. Congrats for who won, good for you.

2 Likes

Hello, I was one of the honorable mentions, but I haven’t received a medal ;-;
(The one submitted by Hoed Cosmere)

1 Like

Probably have to Tag him like this:

@CCP_Convict

I feel bad about that though D;

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.