Main AFK cloaky thread

And this is the problem as it is. To be on par with a cloaker he as well must employ the same broken to the bone mechanics, to achieve a retarded stalemate when both of them are cloacked and doing nothing, instead of actually struggle. Thus, in the end, game is not played by both of them.

That’s why cloack needs to be reformed, introducing enough challenges to it so that only those who are playing actively were able to use it to a full potential (i.e., to stay undetected and yet able to gather intel freely). Those who adopt passive gameplay must be susceptible to them getting pinpointed if their adversaries want a piece of them. Now neither party may stay in space in total safety afking, hidden from anybody for too long. As a cloacking ship’s pilot, you must either play the game actively at last, or dock, or log off, or accept the consequences of playing the game lazily, going afk and leaving your ship hanging out around in space for too long - as everybody else in Eve.

1 Like

Hmm I am still not seeing this priceless knowledge you speak of , please enlighten us and allow you’re brilliance to shine a light on all us “nerf cloaking” people. pretty please ?

Oh and you can catch a interceptor who is afk and burning , just requires the correct ship , again I am unsure why you would bring that point up again. Doesn’t really give us the impression you have a “clue” as you put it.

One more question . What do you think my objective is to suggest the changes you dislike ?

No he doesn’t. Get up a standing fleet. Fit a cyno. Get on comms, even rat in a group. Have alts sitting on a citadel in a fax ready to go. Get out a cloaking ship or interceptor and see if anyone is lurking in some unused system in your region that could drop on ratters. Go look at the economic reports and look at where most of the ore is coming from, where most of the bounties are going and ask, “Hmmm…why is that?” Maybe because that region is controlled by a group that works as…a group?

What needs reforming is how you use your NS space. Of course if you take the same strategy as when nobody is there you get the stalemate…but there is nothing stopping your group from doing things to prevent the drop…or if they do drop on you, call in the cavalry and kill them. Most of the ships they bring in are going to be DPS fit—put massive DPS on the target to kill it and get out. So fit for PvP so they can’t do that. Bring in the support like some fortizars…seriously you want to, as a group, rake in billions buy put in some team effort is too much to ask?

Yes he does. Get up your hind, fly around, try to actively avoid scanning anti-cloackning probes getting tossed your way, prepare a covert cyno to be able to defend your right to be present in their system, get your friends on comms 24/7 so if you’re found they would be ready to drop to save you. See? I can be a demagogue too :wink:

There is a simple paradigm in Eve: no one is safe if they undocked, at any time, unless they at least make some efforts to be so (and in nulls/wh they need to apply substantial efforts). Cloack breaks this core principle, thus cloacks need to be fixed. It’s as simple as that, the rest is petty blabbering of a bunch of cowards and lazy bums protecting their easy life-style of exploiting the broken mechanics.

1 Like

HEY, i only use it where it really applys! :angry:

Thank you! :blush:

And now i gonna read through the new posts…

WOW, how people can not read the written word is amazing. let’s just read what we want, not what is written! holy ■■■■, no one teaches people how to communicate anymore.

1 Like

Hey!
I havent finished the whole thread yet so i dont know if it was mentoined or not but… local could be nerfed like making it lagging a little. lets say guys show up in local after spending 30 seconds or 2 minutes in system, so a smaller group could go into deeper sov null unnoticed if they’re lucky & good pilots and in exchange make some high-end module that can scan down cloaked ships.(the module should be very skill intensive and the cloaked ship should be VERY HARD to scan, so you can scan true 23/7 cloaky afkers, but the active hunters are still safe) I am not sure if nerfing cloaks are the right answer. I think BUFFING hunters(by nerfing local with the lag thing) AND nerfing cloaks(by making them not 100% safe) is the right answer. Sorry guys my native language is not english, but I hope you can understand me.

Round and round it goes.

2 Likes

I believe what CCP said was this (quoted from CCP Fozzie)

“I can say that we don’t like the fact that local chat is so powerful as an intelligence tool as well as a chat but replacing it is something that’s going to be a pretty large project because it is such a valuable way of gaining intelligence right now. We don’t want to take it away without providing some other way to find out with some other act of gameplay who is in the system with you – or at least some of the people that are in the system with you.”

They don’t like local for intel… but believe the intel from local should be available in some fashion (at least that’s how I read it). So in reality your statement isn’t really meaningful as Fozzie is saying that something will be available that replaces the intelligence from local… and the same issues will apply to whatever that is.

So again… I want to make sure the people in the sandbox… be it those showing up on local or with whatever replacement for local comes later… are actually present. I think you’re either in the sandbox or out of it. AFKing isn’t something you can do in a real life sandbox… and shouldn’t be in the EVE sandbox either.

1 Like

No, we fight when we can win and we deny content when we can’t. A coward never fights and always runs. Blindly throwing yourself into an engagement you can’t win is stupidity, not courage.

As directly said, because our caps are all on the front we can’t drop them defensively in our own space, and they are a strategic resource. As we know that the people camping us will drop 10-15 supers, we presently lack the capacity to escalate to meet them.

You can bet that when we get our caps back off the front (no idea when, but this war will end eventually) we’ll be counter-dropping those fucks back to the stone age if they’re still in our space.

Why must they be present? Is there a ship out in space? Yes. That means they’re there. If there’s a ship inside a pos, with or without a pilot, it shows up on D-Scan yes? Do you believe that said ship should not show up?

No, you are just being lazy.

I believe that said ship should be logged out if said pilot in said ship is AFK for said period of time. Same for said pilot if said pilot is in station/citadel and is AFK for said period of time. Enough said?

An empty ship floating in space is available loot. I personally think that unless they’re in a shield or tethered they should be scooped up and eaten by rogue drones.

1 Like

You did say that - and I didn’t ask if you said it. I asked why. There is absolutely no benefit to you to have “actually afk” get logged off, beyond the false sense of security that it would provide. Logoff traps are a thing, and they work pretty well most of the time. This would be literally that.

And I specifically said inside a POS. So, my question remains. Should that empty ship show up on your intel? Because it does. And it kind of needs to.

Yay, another pointless threadnaught. At least it is in a place that we know the devs don’t read. Nothing broken, nothing to fix. If you live in fear that someone might do something bad because they are around and unseen, you should probably live in a windowless padded room, or in the case of eve: highsec.

You may not be a carebear if you think otherwise, but if you live in a state of fear while playing eve, you’re doing it wrong.

1. I assumed the why was self-explanatory and I’ve gone through it several times in this thread. It’s simply about not allowing people to waste their time attempting to interact with someone who isn’t there. If you’re cloaked in my space… great! I may ignore you. But I might also attempt to bait you. I might smack-talk you in local. I might set up a camp to try to catch you at a gate when you do attempt to leave. There are lots of things that I can do while you are cloaked and camping a system to try to lure you into interacting. But for any of them to work you have to be present at your keyboard. Similarly if I were in station you might try a logoff trap to catch me when I come back out, you might try smack-talking me to goad me into a conflict, or you might camp the outpost or attack a citadel to generate a response from me. But none of THOSE will work if I’m AFK. The one thing required for interaction is for both sides to be PRESENT. That is all I’m looking for.

2. I’m fine with it either way. I get annoyed and random velators abandoned in various spots on d-scan… but that’s not really relevant to the topic. I do get annoyed by the persistence of abandoned ships with the non-persistence of logged out ships in space. While this is a huge aside, my preferred mechanic would be that if you logoff you warp to and dock at the nearest structure you have access to (instead of warping to a safe spot)… and if you don’t have access to any your ship floats in space at a safe spot for anyone to scan and kill at their leisure until the next downtime.

But I don’t care about that enough to debate it in any way… so if you’re thinking about it please don’t.

Interceptor fit for speed with the implant set goes what? 15km/sec? (Pulled the number out of my ass because I can’t be bothered wasting time on math you wouldn’t understand anyway. Plus I really can’t be bothered logging in or firing up Pyfa).
Pray tell, how do you intend to catch him? You won’t be able to catch up by probe warping to him, you won’t be able to get into scram range to shut off his mwd and you won’t get any ship in range to shoot him down. Battleships theoretically have the range (railguns), but by the time they’re out of warp and then still have to lock him up he’s out of range again.

But please, do continue showing that you don’t have any meaningful understanding of any game mechanics.

I’m out of this thread again. It’s still the same circlejerk with the same uneducated idiots crying about cloaks being apparently broken.
https://www.chrisshepherd.org/on-the-totalitarian-personality/

3 Likes

I like that you’re linking this, and you know why i do so. :blush:

You cared enough to answer, as I now do.

What if I’m at the keyboard, but running silently? Cloaked in system, dscanning every so often for intel, but not doing anything? What if I do this for days at a time? It’s not AFK so it clearly avoids the criteria of an AFK cloaking thread, but I’m active and you’re going to be wasting every bit of your time trying to find or bait me. When I cloaky hunt, I’m extra cautious. Because I know just how easy it is to bait.

(EDIT/addendum: It’s also an excellent precursor to sov warfare, lowering the ADMs by getting people to hide in a station)

Conversely, under the way things are now, if they’re in system, treat every op you do like a bait op. Your ratting ships are in groups, tanked, fit for pvp. Sure your ticks are low, but they’re better than what the cloaky dude is getting.

I suppose that works now, but before keepstars were a thing titans had nowhere to dock. Expecting anyone to just let their ship get stolen when they log off is unreasonable to say the least. As it stands now, I still find it an unreasonable position to take. You’re effectively forcing any super to stay within range of a fort. Say nothing of move ops where you have to wait for an hour at a time for your fatigue to go down before your next jump.

We want more capitals in fights, not less. The damn things need to die somehow. But your way is entirely unreasonable.

1. If you are at the keyboard… I have a chance. You see a lone hulk on your d-scan and only 1 name in local and you’re in a pilgrim… you’ll think about it. I may FAIL… but if the bait is juicy enough I may not. You’ll see the bait regardless. There’s a difference between fishing and coming up empty… and fishing in a swimming pool. I have a chance at catching a fish in one scenario, even if I didn’t succeed.

2. Whatever. It’s my preferred mechanic, but I’m not married to it.

Trouble with this idea is that the first click of your module, will show if there is a cloaker in the system or not. Wont show you where… but will show you he is in system.
This completely breaks WH space.

1 Like

Right…and once again, in wormhole space nobody cares about AFK cloakers.