First, this is for high-sec space, though I eventually aspire to move the team down to null one day. With 5 accounts I’m currently running an Orca + 4 barges. The Orca also has a drone mining fit with appropriate boosts.
From this setup, I fill up the orca quickly enough and now I’m exploring how to effectively haul the ore back to station.
So I’ve come up with the following ideas which each have their pros and cons. I’m wondering what the general opinion in the mining community is.
- Stay with 1 Orca + 4 barges and just haul as the orca fills up. The disadvantage is that the orca leaving the belt causes the boosts to drop resulting in some potential downtime for the barges. Plus warping an orca is not the most swift of things.
- Drop one barge and go with 2 orcas and 3 barges. Use mining drones on both orcas to make up a bit for the lost production, and have one of the orcas also serve as a permanent hauler (or alternate). Not sure if the effort here is worth it, but maybe.
- Just go with 5 orcas, mining yield drops quite a bit, but definitely the most afk friendly.
- Alternate out a barge or two with quick warping miasmos as the 1 orca gets full and just haul that way. Definitely not a lazy approach given the need to warp back and forth, potentially several times.
- Leave a freighter in the belt and stick with 1 orca and 3 barges. I think option 2 may be better than this.
What does everyone else do at this scale?