8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

My 2 ISK about golden rules , for me golden rules are all of those by ISD Athechu and my 2 personal ones

• Always Turn Off “Auto Reload” at modules like Small Ancillary Armor Repairer / Small Ancillary Shield Booster ( if i dont have second one backing me up ) (PVP , Active Tank)

• Attack it if you certain you will kill it or you will be able hold it long enought untill your allies will kill it ( For fleet fights in PVP )

Yeah this seems about right

Lemme add my own one: every part of highsec is valuable, from the deepest nullsec pocket to systems with 1.0 sec status. Dont let other people’s opinions tell you how to play

Carebear fighting :wink:
Several FCs teached me the following: “Always take a bait.”

It sounds kinda insane, but to be honest, it’s the best way to have content, provided you stick to rule #1 “be able to afford a loss” - ships are tools, no partners (some even say ships are ammo).
And I must admit, many times the baiter wasn’t strong enough and we had much fun.

3 Likes

Im not that rich to use ships as ammo but , I can agree that they’re tools especialy t1 frigates

1 Like

Which illustrates the original point quite nicely - your (Eve) livelihood did not depend on those ships. You even replaced them rather easily. You were just flying bling where cheap working horse would do just fine. Its like crashing a porche - those who can afford it will not be ruined by crashing it. By the very nature you could afford to lose them :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just past 90 days in, and if I could offer one guideline to new players, it would be to manage your expectations.

My corp moved to nullsec maybe a month or two ago. The news was heralded with reports that made it seem like ISK would rain from the heavens, our skills would train themselves overnight, and we’d live in a lawless paradise where we could do as we please.

My first night in nullsec, I lost a Covetor due to a PvPer, and they gloated, practically hanging my corpse on a pike as a trophy. Over the next few weeks, I spent most of my ISK, couldn’t get any help from my alliance, and half the corp quit.

Talk about a kick in the nullsec.

I whinged and wailed and bemoaned my losses. Some people threw money at me to replace what I lost, but it wasn’t about the money as much as the fact I was minding my own damn business and somebody went out of their way to be an ass because they could.

Like, you know, in life. Some people will just be jerks because they can be, and no amount of whinging is going to change that. In life we call them everything from “that guy” to terrorists and the like; they come in a wide variety of flavors.

As in life, surviving in New Eden requires a certain skill set and knowledge base. You have to have the skills to use your ships effectively, by which I mean you need to know the fastest way to warp ass out of Dodge, the right ranges to keep your drones at, what your shields can handle, how to use your alliance comms, and more.

The difference between New Eden and real life is you’ve been training for the latter since you were born. Being wary of the dangers you expect comes second nature to you. When you join New Eden, you’re born all over again and start learning from the ground up.

Manage your expectations. You’re going to lose before you win. You’re going to get frustrated by those losses, and you’re going to get impatient with the time it takes to recover. Or, you’re going to ring the bell and quit.

New Eden isn’t for everyone. Ask me in six months how I feel about PvP, and I may very well tolerate or even enjoy it. Right now I don’t, but it takes time to get adjusted to new things. When it comes to the promises people make about a certain sec or activity, remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

5 Likes

One of the Rules - recover your ships before you lose them.

1 Like

Two posts removed for non-English and off topic Content

1 Like

Tech-2 is usually cheaper

say what now?

I know it’s only been 3 months, but how do you feel about PvP when you’re half way to 6 months?

I’ve been with my corp just over six months, and I enjoy small gang PvP “welp roams.” I don’t have much of an idea of what I’m doing, but under the command of a competent FC, and with the right expectations and preparation, it’s actually a lot of fun.

I never thought I’d enjoy doing small gang suicide runs against targets of opportunity, but when I know I can replace my losses and I learn from my experiences, it’s actually a lot of fun, even when I die. A large part of that is being able to swap into an implant-free clone, get a cheap ship, and fly under the command of an FC who gives clear directions and doesn’t get angry when people don’t understand him.

My corp FC is the sort of guy who will admit when he makes a mistake, and knows the skills of his fleet members, so rather than chew us out, he’ll say, “We could’ve won that one, so here’s what we’ll do next time.”

Prior to that, I’d flown under FCs who freaked out and threw insults at people, shoving all the blame onto the fleet when the FC’s instructions weren’t clear. If you say “Crash the gate” but no one knows what that means, saying it louder doesn’t help; you’ve got to be able to clarify your commands on the fly, be patient, and teach your fleet in the post-op debrief so they can do better next time.

There’s good PvP and bad PvP, and the difference is often about the right expectations, solid planning, and good communication.

5 Likes

Awesome to hear sir. Sounds like you’re doing pretty well, are you working on any long-term goals in the game, if I may pry?

As a member of my corp, I’ve been trying to help them get to where they want to be before they move to nullsec. Personally, my first love is still mining and industry, so I’ve got a Rorqual in my sights. For PvP, I’ve really enjoyed the Vexor, though I’m still exploring options and play styles. I do enjoy a blunt “Smash it with a hammer!” approach, similar to a paladin in World of Warcraft.

1 Like

Haha it even has some hammer-like visual characteristics. Fly in with a bunch and VEX0R SMASH.
A rorqual is great thing to set your sights on, a perfect milestone I think. I’m currently training up for a Heretic after having one of the GMs singing to me the gospel of the interdictors. Only 13 more days to go.

2 Likes

Stares at 4 rorq accounts which have been unsubbed for almost 2 years at this point… I very much beg to differ.

This is such a confusing post @CCP_Fleebix, as a company through your designs you’ve literally made it your goal to remove rorq miners, super ratters and most general cap users from the sandpit. What’s with the 180? Do you now realise all the NPSI / whaling fleet content it brought as well as the constant defence fleet pings in response, was actually something precious and some of the best content you ever had?

Being dropped with rorqs out was the most nerve-wracking things I’ve ever experienced in gaming, my voice cracking as I begged on comms for a response fleet. Watching my PANIC run down as the fleet started heading over. Alternatively I could sit back and ride the defence fleet pings all night and come to the aid of others. There was 24/7 content in a vibrant world and NPSI streams attracting big numbers on Twitch. All that has gone from the sandpit, the game is dull and lifeless nowadays.

That was an awesome era in Eve’s lifecycle and you utterly destroyed it in some desire to punish players like me for spending £40/month on multiple accounts. I spent years perfecting those rorq pilots, no injectors were used! Where’s my value for money for having done that? You rendered my accounts useless virtually overnight.

What gives with the change of heart towards rorqs?! I long to resub to Eve one day when you undo all the damage Rattati and co have done to the sandpit! But the value for money isn’t there currently, at least not without some kind of free respec to switch the accounts away from activities you’ve effectively removed (which might I add is exactly what other MMO developers provide when nerfing a playstyle/talent spec etc out of existence).

you do realize that not every dev is after the same thing in the game right? Most people can blame rattati for the recent nerfs and such, but you can’t blanket blame and say all of CCP hates rorqs etc…

I wonder why more devs don’t post on the forums (rhetorical).

3 Likes

As a veteran you know that EVE Online is a constantly evolving merciless world where things can change in an instant, not much unlike real life. A core element of the game is the players ability to adapt to change, thankfully, else this 18 year old game would quickly go stagnant.
Will these changes be reverted? Only time will tell. Will other changes come?

Indubitably.
EVE is forever, forever is a long time and forever means a world that is in flux.
If I may point to OP Rule number 4 - Experience matters, not ISK or Skills.

Regarding the NPSI streams, there are new NPSI communities joining the veterans with Redemption Road, Bombers Bar, Spectre Fleet,Red Vs Blue, Fun Inc and Yarrr all being still active. If you missed the Ganked 500 NPSI Celebration stream in June where all of these communities came together to celebrate NPSI here’s a link - Twitch
If we look at streaming numbers for EVE Online we’re in a definitive rise as far as I can see.

You can jump onto Sullygnome.com if you want to check the twitch stats.

As for New Eden being dull and lifeless we just came from a more than a year long record breaking war where over 100.000 accounts were involved in pew pewing each other, we’ve had 8 in-game events this year besides the proving ground weekends and faction days, there are new regions evolving, new playstyles being invented by players (almost daily), new modules, and end of scarcity is coming at us fast.

Why do I think a Rorq is a good milestone for a player that’s played less than a year? A Rorqual will always be a good investment at it’s core level, but of course it’s also about having something to strive for, an obtainable goal which will give the player a definitive boost in gameplay in the long run.

I hope you’ll re-sub one day @Induce_Deadline, and when you do feel free to give me a ping and let me know how it goes.

Fly safe yet dangerously.

4 Likes

I think you’ve conflated 2 key points. People can embrace change and adapt to it, change personally excites me, I look forward to patch notes in any game. However, players can still be displeased with a change, particularly something like Scarcity which was introduced as a direct result of previous mistakes made by CCP (rorq balance). That’s on you, don’t side-step it, accept responsibility and don’t try to suggest anyone who isn’t on board with Scarcity is simply being change averse, that would be rather tone deaf!

In terms of adapting, that was fairly obvious, you removed null sec mining so i unsubbed my null sec mining accounts and kept my subcap main account going which I use for other content (pvp fleets, abyssals, explo and so on). I have since let my subcap account lapse, but that’s more because there isn’t much out there to hunt now… See how it comes full circle?

You can’t expect someone with a rorq account where the pilot can do nothing but fly a rorq to remain subscribed lest they be deemed change averse, would be lovely if people actually bought into such a narrative. You’d never have to accept you made a poor change. I’d wager you could have kept a lot of rorq accounts active by offering a free respec of rorq skills so people could adapt the account for other content e.g. turned them into a pvp account, reactions account, PI, FAX etc.

Twitch numbers look promising… I wonder how that correlates with the general viewership growth of Twitch itself, particularly during lockdowns? That would likely give you the baseline to know whether engagement and popularity is increasing or not.

I really think you need to experience null alliance daily life. 3 years ago there would be a steady flow of defence fleet pings each night, that doesn’t really happen now. There is very little incentive to put out shiny toys for people to hunt leading to less exciting NPSI roams and diminishing fleet participation numbers. Bombers Bar armada fleets don’t get the numbers they used to.

I consider that a problematic statement … a Rorqual is just a tool to achieve some gameplay. In order to have fun with the tool you need to like the associated gameplay: bloc level mining.

It‘s the same as many kids say one day I want to steer that big railway engine … but most will realize later, that being a driver as profession may not be their cup of tea.

This misconception imo is the cause for many frustrations and people quitting, as they realize their investment was wasted. I experienced this myself on a smaller scale, I have trained many ship skills, only to figure out, I actually never fly these ships for various reasons. One particular, I want my play fast and crisp, I don’t like slow travel and long prep times, waiting in general. Consequently I mostly fly BC and down.

We need to help new players to understand, that first they have to figure out what gameplay they like to do … and then guide them to choose the right tools. Not the other way round.

1 Like