A Fair Way to Give Alphas Cloaking: A New "Unstable" Cloaking Device

Until this trend of “give the poor alphas this one more thing, they need it to be fair” turns into giving alphas T2/T3 ships, capitals, etc. I mean, look at the OP’s argument: the problem isn’t that alphas are completely locked out of trying exploration, it’s that they aren’t as effective as real players and shouldn’t have to suffer any drawbacks.

No tah.

CCP has specifically said they don’t want Alphas to be an extended trial. They want it to be a real alternative to subbing.

Most likely that means CCP is making so much money off skill extractors and skins that Alpha is completely financially viable for them. Rise said the only types of pilots they don’t want to make open for Alphas is stuff like PI, mining, market trading that is easily a usable and/or people would instantly unsubscribe en masse.

The reality is that CCP is going to push Alpha capabilities farther, as far as is possible, so we might as well figure out the least broken way to make that happen.

Not emptyquoting.

No, Just No, if this were added then someone that want to camp a place can easy make X of alpha clones all fitted with a cloak and just safe log when one runs out of cloak time and start up the new account and start it all over.

… i would be for this if you actually needed a cloak for exploration but you don’t. The cloak just lets you be lazier.

Not to mention if you can’t be cloaked at least 5 minutes it’s not going to help much

Then you are not in the right mindset for eve. The fight started before you even entered system and you have plenty of chances to win

One of the streamers on CCP’s twitch channel has been rather successfully doing exploration with an alpha character in nullsec (I can’t remember his name at the moment) while at the same time is being distracted by actually teaching the people in chat how to do it. To say alphas need a cloak to do exploration is a bit ignorant if what they are really capable of doing.

The person you’re referring to is Johnny Splunk of EVE-Scout and Signal Cartel fame. Yes he’s able to run exploration on an alpha, but he also would advocate the same thing that Chance is right now. In fact his latest stream the last 10-15 minutes were spent discussing the possibility of cloaky alphas. I’d say no to a permanent cloak for alphas, for reasons already talked about in this thread, but what Chance is suggesting here is hardly harmful in the way that someone could abuse it like a permanent cloak.

That being said, I was in the CCP chat with Johnny, joining in on the discussion. I was there just to provide a counter-point, but I 100% support giving alphas some sort of unstable device that lets them cloak for a little bit.

Edit:
I will also add that Johnny also uses a near-impossible to scan down Heron fit that alphas can use, but the issue here isn’t being able to safe up and not worry about being combat probed, it’s about travelling between systems, at least for me.

1 Like

This is one possible way to let alphas to participate in a blops gang. They sorely need a ship they can transit covert jump portal arrays with.

no people sorely need to become more informed before posting

1 this is simply a cloaking device that has nothing to do with a ship being bridgeable.

2 the changes to alphas will open up faction ships so your problem will already solve itself.

first of all cool your jets

second of all, it absolutely has to do with the original post

to take a blops bridge you need a cloaking capable ship, alphas rightly so cant use cover ops cloaks

being able to fly an astero without any cloak isnt a solution, i think this type of cloak is ideal to fix this problem

except this isn’t about giving that… also every ship is capable of cloaking.

no that is indeed the solution but i would recommend using the strat.
the small inconvenience of being in a blops gang with out a cloak would in no way be solved by this idea.

Yeah just for the record, this post was never meant to be about blops.

With this change, Alphas can finally join blops thanks to SOE ships. They won’t have cloaks, but that is a minor issue considering how blops usually works.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.