Actual usefulness of a cloak

“complementary” not “contradictory” :wink:

edit : to be clear , even on the forum you will find informations that seem in opposition. That’s because they are the result of several different experiences.
You can’t find “truth” somewhere, you can often only find opinions and this is the way you can make YOURS. And that’s what is important, not to find “universal truth” but to make your own opinion.

1 Like

I see you’re the ‘glass half full’ type :slight_smile:

I know how trustworthy forums are, I started on usenet 20+ years ago, and nothing has changed since then…

I know that we don’t know anything.

And thus, we can learn a lot <3

Thanks you very much - despite the catcalls in the background, I find your response very helpful and useful.

1 Like

I see @Nora_Maldoran already linked a good post explaining instawarp mechanics, but I can still tell you how the MWD+Cloak trick works.

If your ship cannot instawarp (which means sub 2 second align) you may want to look into MWD+Cloaking, as the gatecampers that could target you and warp disrupt you if your ship is aligning in more than 2 seconds, cannot target you when you’re cloaked.

However, when cloaked you cannot immediately warp away as you’re flying at 25% of your normal maximum speed with a T2 cloak, and you need to be aligning at 75% max speed to be able to instantly warp away. That’s where the MWD comes in: use both the cloak and MWD to get the speed boost of MWD and speed reduction of the cloak and your ship will be accellerated to 75% velocity and be cloaked for one cycle of your MWD to avoid getting targeted by enemies. After your MWD cycle, drop your cloak and immediately warp off to your destination, giving the gatecamp no time to lock you up.

A few things to consider:

1. Not every ship can align to 75% velocity within the time of one MWD cycle.
  2. MWD increases your sig, making it easier to lock you up. Cloak first.
  3. If you see stuff along your align direction (containers and such), pick a different direction or you will get decloaked and caught.

For point 1 you’ll need to check if your align time is below MWD cycle time and also check if your velocity with MWD on times 0.25 is more than 75% of your max speed without MWD on. Some ships won’t make it, while some ships like the Endurance (without velocity penalty for cloaks) don’t even need a MWD to do the ‘MWD cloak’ trick.

3 Likes

Although Gerard has really covered it, I find the Eve University Wiki to be a good source: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Cloak_trick

1 Like

Thanks folks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.