Alphas are basically just trial accounts

That’s the point. If people moan on these forums that alphas are an underclass, and alphas moan that they should be given more (like access to mining barges) then why not give them more but also put a target on their back? EvE is already a nothing-for-nothing environment.

Really, what difference would it make, historical or otherwise, compared to Red vs Blue or Ammar vs Minmatar? What’s the diff? If alphas are there to provide/ create/ increase content, and identifying them was appealing enough to some to create some “tension”, then would that not be “job done” on CCP’s part?

RvB and factions … not sure how you can compare them?

• You join RvB specifically because of the ForeverWar. It’s impossible to not know what you’re getting into and 99% of the players, who aren’t in RvB, don’t notice that you’re in Red or Blue without specifically looking. Besides … most people don’t hate them per se just for existing.

• You join a faction when you start the game. 99% of the players don’t care what faction you are a part of and it has no obvious downsides. Joining FW means you know what you’re getting into and still, 99% of all the other players won’t recognize you as being part of FW without specifically looking. Plus: Most people don’t hate them just for existing.

• When you make it apparent that someone is Alpha, you make him a potential target for everyone who hates them. Just think about the madness behind this: People will spend insane amounts of collective time looking at every info window of every player they come across, to see if he’s Alpha. Besides that, who is going to play as Alpha when word comes out that they can and will be hunted specifically? Barely anyone.

• Worse, making Alphas clearly visible on the overview is literally equal to the historical reasons I’ve pointed out above. It’s literally comparable to Nazi Germany. You’d be putting a David Star on every Alpha, for everyone to see, and anyone who hates them will attack them.

Are you SURE you thought this through?

1 Like

A teenager from a ■■■■■■ up third world country playing eve on a 15 year old toaster is a good thing

No, not at all. Off top of my head. Shooting the breeze. No thought engagement whatsoever.

And equating EvE with RL; really? That’s like saying the people who are bullies and disruptive in EvE “must” have similar traits in RL, just that they are suppressed in RL. or … or … SOMETHING.

And if you don’t like analogies, here’s another one. What’s the difference between having an alpha-identifier, and maybe getting ganked, and NOT having a CODE-permit, and maybe getting ganked? To the wrong people (define “wrong”) what’s the diff in terms of the type of game play that might emerge?

You are no doubt correct that it will not happen. Your argument … ? Less convincing. But, I bow to your greater experience. As a lily-livered, pacifist carebear, I don’t “do” conflict.

Alphas are a failed experiment and can be safely removed.

Change my mind.

1 Like

I’m not equating EVE with real-life. EVE is full of people and they work the same way here just like everywhere else.

1 Like

I’m so glad it’s not actually closed :smirk: Had me thinking it was :laughing:

Putting aside that we know, factually, that Alpha accounts are hard limited to some degree, and also putting aside that when we ascribe these labels we are presupposing the ends to which some other person will put a means, I believe Alphas are a ‘social account’ more than a ‘trial account’.

I see them as a middle ground between the all in paid Omega account, and the… uh… all out no account, for lack of a better term. If someone I know was to become too busy to justify the eve subscription price, then the alpha account gives them the ability to log in, potentially participate in a thing, or just chat about/keep up with the latest developments. When choosing what access alphas have, I would give them the skills necessary for getting started to cover the free trial aspect, and the skills needed to participate in fleets. I would not give them the best ships, or let them take star roles in those fleets, but I would want them to be assets to their fleet.

In almost any system, you will find people who find ways to abuse that system to the detriment of the legitimate users. I dislike the people who do this, but not the system itself. I do not currently know any people who are limited to the alpha state, but if I did I know I would want to be able to play with them still, and that I would not mind giving them a role in my fleet even if their ship was sub optimal as long as that ship is still serviceable.

I hate alpha abusers, like I think any rational person who cares about the health of the game would, but I do not dislike people who play alpha accounts automatically without reason to back up a belief that they actually are abusers. I would prefer to sell a player on Omega by involving their alpha as much as I could, and let them upgrade their account when they are motivated to up their level of participation. I want to be a part of what makes their subscription worthwhile. I would want you, whoever you are dear reader, to be a part of what makes their subscription worthwhile, too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.