[ARC] Large and Heavily Damaged Drifter Fleet Encountered in Hive Complex

Briefly, yes and yes.

We’re working on reconstruction, but assume we’ll need more data before a conclusive analysis can be performed.

1 Like

Sir, I understand and appreciate your view, even though we clearly have a difference of opinion.

Please note, however, that the data you are translating is currently only recoverable from the wreckage of Drifter ships.

Please understand that when you start using the term hypocrisy.

5 Likes

Hi,
I was there yesterday, collaborating with ARC. got some 40 minutes time to study the situation before we started to attack and tested all that came to my mind with no success at all.
Unfortunately i didn’t test something that might make sense in this context.
Has anybody tried to rep these specific fleets?
I know it shouldn’t work, but if nobody tried, can we try next time?

If these drifters are fighting a stronger opponent, it’s likely they went down to K space to regroup. It could be possible that they may accept reps and leave once fully repaired.
After all the fifth prophecy says: “the little brother makes the final sorrowful steps home; he is not welcome”. For sure he is not welcome it seems, but at least he tries hard.

2 Likes

It was also stated in the thread that the contents of the message were a Galnet site name… which strikes me as exceedingly odd. I mean, even if we stipulate the drifters are using a language present in historical records, Galnet naming structure doesn’t follow any inevitable logic, it’s just the one framework we happened to select, and then developed organically from there. So for the Drifters to use it internally would seem… kinda nuts.

What happens if all of these ‘recovered’ transmissions are just the Drifters recording Starsi commercials?

2 Likes

Then Quafe will have to finally admit defeat in the soft drinks wars.

Drink Starsi. Tastes so good even cyborg omnicidalists prefer it.

1 Like

I tried at sirppala. They aren’t accepting reps

2 Likes

It may be a warning or a cry for help. The warning would be more likely though

2 Likes

For ultimate Vigilant Tyrannos Codebreaker experience, drink Starsi Null™ - zero sugar, twice the caffeine, and wholesale as close as it gets to a real stim while being legal to drink at all ages!

2 Likes

If the information is available it would be a crime to let it go to waste. Itnwiuld be hypocritical out if context I do admit. But I’m not saying don’t use what’s available, I’m saying try new things. I’m exceedingly interested to see what happens if we just watch them. What would they do i wonder

2 Likes

When you asked how the iconography was decrypted, I gave you an explanation - though simplified for brevity. As much as it prides me to know that my prediction of you continuing bickering despite being given exactly what you wanted, it makes it no less annoying when I am essentially ignored. Why should I - or ARC, as an extension of myself - even bother when you so casually overlook that just to focus on something to be continually bitter about…?

On the subject of people trolling and not answering questions, this one seems to be the most pertinent. It is never answered, except with handwaved “you didn’t answer MY questions”, which is not an answer itself so much as a hamfisted justification to continue harassment.

I have given greater people far less patience, Sir Ormand… and you are wearing that ever thinner…

2 Likes

This makes me wonder if the Drifters actually are trying to communicate with is, but we simply don’t know how to listen. Once this is obvious to them they have tried another method. We have the old saying the a picture tells a thousand words, how many words does camera drone (or equivalent) footage convey?

The fact there chosen characterset matches to and underlying machine code that the translator module can understand may well not be coincidence. It feels too much like we are intended to find this footage, and this is the only way the Drifters have found to get it to us so far. Perhaps they don’t even communicate in a language as such amongst themselves, but rather convey feelings, emotions, impressions directly into another beings consciousness.

How would they communicate with us in any way that makes sense then? A repeated message to create unease and a clip of footage showing the threat perhaps? This is of course straying into enhancing tinfoil sales, but if you didn’t want the messages to be found you would at the very least encrypt the damn addresses to the storage.

3 Likes

Two early theories exist and each are equally likely. These stem from a decryption standpoint, more than a philosophical one.

A. The obstacles presented in the cipher, being easily overcome, were intentional. This insinuates that the message was meant to be translated and the videos subsequently viewed. This is also evident in that the messages may have intentionally shown symbols with variations (non-sensical words, for instance) to encourage us to find the distinctions. This assumes a level of awareness in the intent.

B. We were never expected to view these messages, and thus challenging obstacles were not presented as it was never concluded we would even get to that point. This assumes a level of awareness too low to prescribe that we capsuleers were not only capable of decrypt the cipher, in addition to simply not finding them.

There is little gray area between these two possibilities.

1 Like

Considering these datafiles are being pulled from corrupted data storage vaults which themselves have just been pulled from the wreck of a Drifter battleship I think I’ll vote for this option.

2 Likes

I feel it is most likely, given the Drifters’ almost animalistic behavior. In addition, to intentionally and knowingly provide us a means of communication that is so readily and easily deciphered… Why not go all the way and just speak to us in our own universally translated means of communication…?

1 Like

That was why I’m thinking they probably don’t communicate the same way we do, so may have fallen back on the truly Universal language of just showing us what we need to see. The addresses represented in the trinary characters aren’t really a language as such, just an arrow saying ‘look here’.

For everyone in the cluster to see these character strings and translate them the same would imply that the trinary characterset translates directly into the underlying translator base characterset, which can then be converted out to our multitude of end-user languages.

Given that the Drifters physically cannot speak I am assuming spoken language is really not important to them. Is there any evidence of any other written language in the wrecks of Drifter vessels? Serial numbers, warning signs, information panels etc? If not this would imply that written language is also irrelevant to them in general.

2 Likes

I saw that, too. It clearly is a construct of some kind. Note the large circular object in the center. It appears extraordinarily similar to some images retrieved not long ago. A ship perhaps? Is this what has the Drifters running amok?

2 Likes

As far as we could tell, no. That is apart from the typical Sleeper Data Libraries. If Drifters do communicate, they do so not unlike Rogue Drones - in ways not ommediately conducive to outward communication and almost wholly in a hive-mind method.

In essence, they would have no reason to communicate with us, and there is no evidence to suggest that these messages were meant for us at all. Rather, they were meant to be communicated amongst themselves, but as the datavault is corrupted, it can be extrapolated that the message either never was passed along or was blocked out.

My theories tend to separate from my peers in ARC greatly on the subject of the damaged Drifter fleets, but… Well… I believe they are running from something. My early theories were the Blood Raiders or Guristas, on account of increased FOB activity, but now… I am not so sure.

The Drifters focusing on the gates, to me, seems to indicate they are attempting to interact with them. As none of the damaged Drifter Fleets were/are located in systems with a Jove Observatory present, I assume that they cannot traverse back into the hives systems through the wormholes unique to these systems. As such, they may be attempting to go through the stargates, but lack the capability (not unlike Rogue Drones).

In essence, I believe these fleets are the routed survivors, and are lost, with no ability to go back to their Hives to relay these messages we have intercepted. The notion of destroying them to gain access to the datavaults has caused me considerable duress as a pragmatic pacifist… Hence why I have no played the role of the combatant in the response fleets… But… I understand the necessity.

It is the only way we can learn what is going on; the only way to get answers. Passive observation is a utopian concept that has yet and will likely continue to not yield results. Thus, while unfortunate, it must be done. Only after we have created a cipher-key can we attempt communication, and in doing so discover more of these ominous videos; answers.

2 Likes

Personally I think we should send them increasingly bizarre insults and see if they respond.

The great universal constant in communication is arguing.

1 Like

As has been speculated multiple times throughout this thread: after thousands of years as infomorphs, would the Drifters even be able to think in the limited constraints of language? Or do they communicate purely through concept? In which case, maybe they can’t speak to us in our more limited, crippled way.

This would explain the Tukoss-puppet as well.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure these datavaults address that question clearly.

2 Likes