[ARC] Vigilant Tyrannos cruiser identified, Observatories further damaged

I don’t know why you think 50 of these is somehow more of a problem than 50 of the Battleships.

I don’t know why you think the existing attrition doctrines will be less effective against these than they are against the Battleships.

5 Likes

Yes.

As for Lancers, yes; they are absolutely active in any system with a Jove observatory, whether or not a wormhole to a Drifter Hive is detectable in system. Our testing was just conducted in Jennim due to its observatory, and despite having no Drifter Hive entry present, we engaged several Lancer patrols and a wing of Cassandras.

4 Likes

This is a strange sort of statement, it seems to me. It’s … kind of striking, and I think I see what you’re trying to say, sir, but it’s also …

… weirdly dismissive of the usefulness of knowledge. Particularly considering how dependent the whole situation is on a bunch of stuff that isn’t known.

The Drifters don’t talk. Their real intentions are unclear. They’re either becoming more aggressive, or (seen more positively) defending their assets more actively. There’s so much about the situation that we need to find out for sure if we can, because otherwise we’re just guessing, and guessing wrong could be really, really bad.

If we discard science, what’s left but faith-- in beings that aren’t apparently quite what you’d call divine? Are you really saying that we shouldn’t look for answers and just accept whatever fate they might have in mind for us?

Maybe you’re right, and science won’t save us. Maybe there’s already something awful happening at the heart of a star somewhere nearby, and we’re all about to be obliterated. Maybe nothing will save us at all. It seems like not even trying to learn isn’t necessarily going to help us, either, though, and the power we have so far is based, pretty nearly all of it, on what we’ve worked out how to do-- even with stuff (such as Talocan shield emitters) we barely understand.

I want to know. I want to see. Even if I can’t do anything, if it’s all for nothing … I’ll still want to understand. And if the goal is to survive all of this, it’s not clear that we’re really hurting ourselves by looking for the exit, even if we haven’t found it yet.

I guess what I’m saying is, I don’t understand why you’d think stopping is a good idea. Why you’d suggest, as you seem to (and I’m sorry if I’m not following you correctly), that passivity is the right move.

13 Likes

These threads become almost formulaic - like a bad holoreel.

ARC and their associates provide information to the public detailing new discoveries and building theories. The same hecklers as always arrive to offer mostly worthless rhetoric with sparing, loosely-formed attempts at philosophical blackmail despite missing several key ingredients. ARC tries to explain their position and in response the contrarians prattle on with extraordinarily high criticism-to-indolence ratio that - for some reason - the cluster’s leading scientists just can’t help but engage in. It is marginally more entertaining than watching a Gallente senator at filibuster, and equally appealing as eating glass-powder.

And yet, for some reason, - perhaps in some vain attempt to end it all in a way that does not involve putting a bolt-pistol to my head - I provide commentary.

12 Likes

It’s kind of like a trainwreck in slow-motion, you just can’t avert your eyes.

I’ll firmly advocate, at this point, one stance - man the ■■■■ up, people. Whether we like it or not, whether the Drifters are abominations or not, whether it is the fault of ARC, or empires, or our brains simply make for good slurpees - the situation is escalating.

We have a solid recording of unidentified starships - and one shot does show one of their weapons used. We gained some insights into the technology used by Vigilant Tyrannos. At this point, rather than prattle about like baseliner governments we should be planning contingencies.

Just in case the Unidentified ones chase Drifters into our territory and force them to take and hold.
Just in case they are hostile to us as well, and once they’re done mopping up there - those guns are turning on us.
Just in case they aren’t really an unidentified factor, they’re under say, CONCORD/SARO control.

4 Likes

And just in case I can get my hands on some of the wreckage for research purposes.

1 Like

Not until I get my quadrillions of ISK in collected taxes!!

2 Likes

I rarely waste time dabbling on the IGS, but I think the excerpt from Horn linked by my esteemed colleague warrants an official response.

At no point did I-RED ever experience a financial collapse. In fact our recent public economic reports indicate quite the opposite. Furthermore, at no point has a Provist and Templis Dragonaur supporter ever had the authority to charge anyone of a false crime using the name of Ishuk-Raata. Quite frankly, I find it to be an insult.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I-RED as always appreciates the hard work and dedication of ARC and its pilots. The Drifters are a strange and powerful threat to security in New Eden, and one that we understand a little bit better thanks to their efforts. I-RED stands ready to support our allies in various ways should and when the need arise. Carry on.

4 Likes

Emerging from ruins,
Rising from ashes to flesh and alloys,
Protecting, Reclaiming, Destroying,
Seeking a pass toward Eternity.

2 Likes

I did it too yesterday and they waited for me to approche

1 Like

Another Drifter pilot call-signed “Orion Tyrannos” has been sited in the Kaunokka system flying with two Cassandras, an Apollo and one other Orion. It appears to pilot the same cruiser class vessel as Cassandra Tyrannos, although its full capabilities are unknown.

5 Likes

It may, as with the Apollo/Artemis types, simply be essentially a gender-varied Cassandra.

2 Likes

There are minor variations in weapons strength and superweapon damage, but more testing is needed to establish exactly the magnitude of the variation.

Largely, indeed, they behave similarly.

4 Likes

so “Orion” is a new drifter too? do we know it’s capabilities? where can we see it?

1 Like

We believe that they were part of a response fleet to someone attacking Lancers at a Jove Observatory.

3 Likes

Thank you for publishing the additional information, about the new Drifter cruisers, I updated my article accordingly by adding a bonus paragraph, including the new info.
Thanks to all those who researched these ships in more detail.

2 Likes

With time these ruins will be completely eroded by stray asteroids, rogue drones activity and cosmic radiation. What a sad fate for these once glorious structures.

2 Likes

The structures are old Jovian listening posts for them to spy on and monitor our development. ■■■■ em.

2 Likes

Stealing our social media profiles, to use for their own political ends.

Don’t forget, the Jovians intervened in the Gallente War of Oppression Against the Caldari People (The first Gallente-Caldari War), purely to test their social science models.

3 Likes

they watched the whole cluster, with the gleaned informations from the observatories we know this, and if they intervened once, why not imagine multiple times?
As someone said once, “Any sufficiently advanced technologie is indiscernable from magic”.
And New eden’s civilisation is littered with supernatural, from the god of the amarrs to the elders of the minmatars.

1 Like