Barges near obsolete?

We should merge all the barges, and then all the exhumers into one (but two seperate) ships.
This 1 Yield, 1 Tank, 1 Hull stuff is kinda silly.

Personally I’d like it if…

Then they should make tech 3 variant called “Expedition cruisers”. From here they should give endurance, and its cruiser variant null-immune like ceptors or insane (2000-3000) cloak speed.

but I’d perfer cloak capable on both of the ships (for each class).

I don’t like this suggestion because it appears to run counter to the general idea that ship hulls should have their own unique specialization. The suggestion to give this new super mining ship Interdiction Nullification AND a cloak just seems silly and is a nonstarter.

This would result in a single mining cruiser that not only mines a ridiculous amount with a huge ore hold, but also possesses near battleship levels of tank, in addition to nullification and cloak. This seems less like a serious suggestion and more of a fantasy dream.

Currently expedition ships are Warp-cloak capable, and cloak-movement speed buffed.
Expedition frigates seem to make more sense both being cloakable, however, i know ccp is very likely to give two ships in the same class the same capabilities (another bad design choice).

If they arnt, then the non-cloak warp capable should be nully immune, or have some sort of defense against warp-scrap so they can get through blockades faster.

This is generally balanced by the fact that they have very little defensive capabilities. However, your suggesting involves a ship that can tank as well as a Skiff, which is specialized into tank, and, if well fitted, can pose a serious defense that cannot easily be overcome.

Before we go any further, would you mind explaining exactly why these mining ships need to have Interdiction Nullification? I’m not aware of many scenarios where having such a bonus on these ships is such an important issue.

Actually, I feel like the Expedition Frigates shouldn’t get a cruiser variant, even less with that shady “Tech III” nomenclature that just encourage lack of specialization because of how Tech III Cruisers are.

The point behind the Prospect and the Endurance is simple : it’s to go in, get ore, get the hell out of here. They are not supposed to surpass even a Mining Barge, because those ships are specialized in sneaky movement, and not extraction prowess.

A Cruiser, that is way more bulky and slow than a Frigate, shouldn’t have the same sneaky capabilities as one. But again, we do have a ton of cruisers with CovOps cloaking devices.

blinks

say what?

1 Like

The simple answer is no barges are not obsolete I’m a level four Orca pilot and I have another tune who is a barge pilot the Orca is just that a very powerful boosting ship it is not meant for a place to barges and will not replace the barges it is meant so you can keep yourself on field by yourself longer but you still have to be able to run 2

characters and know how to freaking fly the ships or you’ll die you’ll lose it just like you lose anything else just because you can fly the ship doesn’t mean you understand the ship my losses stand for themselves how stupid of a pilot I can be sometimes thankfully for me I have a little bit of real-life capital but I can replace it when I lose it but not everybody has that luxury barge

is being obsolete absolutely not as soon as I can get another character trained up until barge I’ll have to barges with My orca I used to think the same thing you guys do until I learned how to play Eve learn how to play the game and I understand taking losses for some people are a lot harder than others that’s just the way the game works guys have a great evening good night good morning whatever it is for y’ all

1 Like

no we still need barges to mine that Red Thing which explodes (and kills drones(expensive))

but why not 2 orcas

I use a Cov in quiet LS systems as you can hit a belt and RTB very quickly. They are cheap and if lost not a huge hit to the pocketbook.

Great ship…

I used to have your same mindset when it comes to the Orca but then I learned from training and time in the Orca that it’s a really good hauling ship it’s a really great High sec RV basically to move stuff around but if you moved on to NS you really want to consider becoming a rorqual pilot

Barges/exhumer have been blandished, there’s no Ice miner, the mighty Hulk is the first to be targeted, top of the range miner with no tank. I see a lot of non miners making bland statements about afk mining, probably the same people who rant about warping in to a mission walking away and letting the drones finish off the mission.
I do mine ice and ore, I have not had one session in the last month without CODE or some other asteroid liberation vigilante trying to destroy a barge or miner, you cannot afk mine ice runs out, asteroids need to be targeted, you can leave it for a little while but unless you keep an eye on local you will lose your ship, before I get shouted down just check the zkill there’s plenty of evidence there.

We get new ships all the time but since the porpoise nothing, we are talking about an industrial ship a mining barge, even the weakest should be pretty tanky in RP terms, I don’t mind using a skiff/procurer but they still die a lot, I know some claim you land in belt and then clean up the whole belt while watching a film, and come back to a hanger full of ore but that don’t happen.

Procurers die a lot? To ganks? If you fit it properly it has 60K+ ehp cold in yield fit… need at least 4 perfectly skilled t2 catas to take it down in pulled 0.5 system.

Please instead of trying to pick holes just go and look at zkill you will find plenty of Procurers/Skiff’s being destroyed, you can find Orca’s a plenty, Most in 0.5 a few higher, I find it laughable a -10 player can dock and fly around high sec and kill haulers/barges/orcas with little restriction, I do also find many “suspect” +5 players who spend most of their time trying to gank mission runners/miners either with a MTU or the odd miner who thinks you can jet can.

My Skiff is close to 80+k ehp and I still don’t afk, I watch local all the time, we just had taxes raised when are concord/navy going to start working for this.

Your fit or skills must be bad. 60K+ is on yield procurer.

Stop lying. I once looked at zkill for ganks on procurers… had hard time finding them. Most of them die in null where there is no need to bring huge fleet.

let me help you.

I put the ganked filter, but obviously this, this and this (just the three most recent) are an obvious result of gank, even though not ganked filter.

I put the filter because otherwise there are too many wartargets, NPC and solo(obvious bait)

2 Likes

Yeah, that is what I mean hard time to find them - you actually have to scour zkill with filters to easily see ganked procurers. And even then you find false positives…

Procurer | Super Stepchild | Killmail | zKillboard - this one I would not count as ganked, clearly this was bait fit gone wrong (or a shitfit… depending on how you look at things)

Incredibly badly fit by a pilot that doesn’t read patch notes and doesn’t realize there were changes to the way ecm works.

another badly fit.

True that they get ganked now and then but lets be clear about something : in last 3 months over half of ganked procurers were ganked in isanamo or its immediate surrounding area. And if you check zkill of those systems you will notice high ganking activity. Why do they mine in area with extremely high CODE. activity? You wouldn’t mine in Uedama yet they mine in Isanamo.

actually I am saying that the ganked filter also has false negative.
If you look at those false negative you also notice that the gankers don’t have their zkb API , which means that what you can see on kzb is only from people having their zkb api on.

What it means, is that what you see on zkb is only a subset of what is actually possible.

And since when was the location an issue ? What if people lost procurer in uedama ? does it magically make the kill easier ?

of the three links you gave, only the first one is not a mining fit. Like them or not … procurers are dying while mining.
If you believe otherwise, that means you drank too much of the BS of CODE. procurers die too, and when people have the fund they are not that expensive to kill.
10 catalysts is what … 50M fit T2 ? good luck tanking that in a procurer. unless you fit only tank modules, and then you don’t mine.

T1 fit is Catalyst | Lewak | Killmail | zKillboard 1.5M

ROTFL. T2 cata is 10M. 10 t2 catas is 100M. Yield fit procurer doesn’t cross 40M while having 60K+ ehp.

Yes. It makes kill easier to happen. After all you need quite a few catas to gank one so this happens mostly in areas were gankers stage from. As such it is easier to get numbers necessary to kill one.

And you need 10 gankers/alts to deliver dps of 5 T2 catas. Talk all you want about prices but it is easier to come up with isk for t2 than with people / alts for extra t1 catas.