The Covert Ops fleet is not competitive in the current cap/super meta; not that BLOPs is useless and doesn’t have some good niche, but overall when the cap fleet arrives BLOPs gets squashed.
Adding “Gun for Gun” doesn’t make sense, that is just more of the same big ships, the ship creep we all despise. Not to mention the role of BLOPs is not to “Slug it Out”.
The solution comes from looking at RL. Basic guerilla tactics, get in, hit, get out.
The BLOPs fleet is good at getting in, and hits hard enough for it’s role, but…
Black Ops Can’t Get Out!
Just like every other ship, tackle kill.
Give BLOPs an escape route, a method to get out. So that hit and run is real.
The easy/boring way would be to add some resistance to tackles, instead I have come up with the BLOBs Carrier:
- Start with a basic carrier class ship with suitable Command Ship capabilities, limited weapons
- No high sec allowed
- Color it black
- Give it a give it a Bomb Hanger that holds shitloads of Bombs
- Allow ships to repair
- Allow it to jump to a covert cyno but not bridge
Fairly standard stuff. Here’s the “Get Out” part.
- Allow up to ?6? covert ops cruiser class or smaller ships to attach to it with the pilots
- The ships can attach while in combat
- The BLOPs Carrier can Blink Out (Cloak) along with it’s 6 ships while in Combat
- The Blink only lasts 60 seconds, the BLOPs Carrier can Jump to a Covert Cyno while blinked, the Blink has a long cooldown
- Ships within 2500 can still see the ship
- If a ship is within 2500 the carrier can’t jump
- The ships attached are still subject to damage but cannot use modules
- Even when blinked the ships are subject to AOE (non-empire space)
- Battleships have to make their own way
- Allow Bombs in Low Sec