Can players who aren't active have strong opinions about Eve?

I do my best to value opinions based on their content, not their origination.

Any other approach is simply biased.

5 Likes

I understand, but doesn’t the opinion of someone who plays (and pays) count more than the others?

No, opinions only matter when people agree with it. If you think free SP is bad but everyone else thinks it’s good, your opinion doesn’t matter because you’ll be drowned out by the majority

1 Like

The real question is… Will CCP accept the opinions of inactive players? As a business with an ever shrinking player base, they would be wise to accept them. Players on the other hand…will only accept those opinions if they align with their own. Most players anyway.

1 Like

No. It does not matter if somone is a F2P or a paying a-hole. He is still an a-hole.
Therefore his opinion don’t matter.

You can be as elaborate as you like, write whole essays on things. If what you write is bull then i will just discount it and ignore you. I don’t give a flyin eff about whether someone plays, has a certain playstyle, is part of a certain alliance or whatever. its the content that matters.

And its the same with me. As i am free to judge opinions on what is said, everyone is free to judge my opinion on what i say. I’m not that full of …it to think that my sole opinion and mine alone is the only one that matters and everyone should feel blessed that i stooped down to their levels and graciously bestow them with my wisdom.

I personally couldn’t care less as long as what they say is constructive.

1 Like

This doesn’t make sense.

If I run a business and I take advice from people who don’t know the ins-and-outs of my business and have never worked for me, instead of actual employees, what does that make me?

It shows that I do not care or value the opinions of my staff.

That is bad government.

1 Like

I’m not active any more, I did dabble with an Alpha account, but found it so restrictive that I didn’t (or couldn’t) get back into it.

I have loads of things I’d like to add, and suggest to help coax me back, but I refrain. I refrain because a) people will remind me that EvE isn’t the game for me, and, b) mods will lock post for ‘ranting’ or ‘trolling’. It’s happened before, even though I tried to be ‘constructive’.

I’d never consider myself an ‘ex-player’ I think rather a ‘dormant’ player is more apt. One waiting for EvE to transition or evolve in to a game which I can enjoy. I’m not alone either, many many players are sitting dormant, waiting, watching for a time where responses like ‘EvE isn’t for you’ are NOT waiting just around the corner.

4 Likes

Thanks, I completely agree with u and you put it so nicely.

1 Like

I totally didn’t answer the OP !

In short, I think everyone deserves to be heard no matter what they say… however, there is an EvE elite that makes up the unmovable bedrock of what is EvE. I think only the CSM is the only real voice CCP listen to, and, the CSM is comprised of this elite bedrock.

2 Likes

You say you had essentially barely dipped your feet into EVE, and yet you’ve maintained enough interest in the game to check back into the forums and happened to find the topic that spoke enough to you to make a reply. Fascinating. :nerd_face:

Without getting into details and possibly derailing the topic and getting into flame wars, let’s say CCP implemented everything that you wanted to make you an active player. Would you think that would be enough to invest your real money into the game? Also, if your playstyle is in high sec, what is it about the area that may have drawn you in?

1 Like

Yes.

Safety.

I never said this.

To be fair, I started playing in earnest mid 2009 (10 years ago). I did dedicate a piece of my soul to it until my daughter was born in 2011, and after she graced our lives with her presence I found myself away more and more, until one day, our WH POS had been stomped, and I couldn’t dedicate the needed time and resource to claw things back. It was with sad regret that I had to watch as 1.5 years of work was gleefully stripped of us along with the gloats and L2P jibes. Nothing could be done about it. I had to make a choice, and without hesitation family came first. I do not hold resentment towards EvE because it’s the nature of the beast.

However, certain suggestions I made, (to which I was subject to much disdain) would indeed bring me back in with an open wallet. I do know better than to revisit these suggestions, so will politely not bring them up here! But goes back to the OP, in that, there’s a certain kind of atmosphere residing in EvE and a culture that if you don’t conform, then you’re better off not saying anything as it’ll just generally alienate those that do wish to preserve the niche ethos.

1 Like

I’ve been playing for less than a year, and level 4 missions haven’t changed in that time. Now you have a data-point. :slight_smile:

Garth

1 Like

EvE isn’t the game for you. :slight_smile:

Congrats on putting your family first, you’ll never regret that. I like EvE…in fact I would like to see it become more like it was in 2011 but that seems very unlikely to say the least…but still it is a game. You chose well.

1 Like

Yes, because everyone’s entitled to their opinion and more often than not constructive criticism helps us feed back information into the development of EVE that makes it better.

It’s not rocket surgery.

:rocket:

6 Likes

I was referring to another poster who basically said they “dabbled” with an alpha account. But is irrelevant in the end, as all that matters in regards to this thread is whether the person is active or inactive.

But what if safety wasn’t the reason for your continued interest in EVE? There are many spaceship co-op games and single player games out there, that sometimes has better PvE content than EVE that can be done in perfect safety from PvP.

To lessen the amount of back and forth, I’ll try to share the reason I came back. 2007-2009 I was pretty much a solo high sec mission runner. I tried PvP in EVE, but for some reason PvP here just doesn’t appeal to me. I’m all for a good fight, especially in PvP more like fight games, Street Fighter, etc… I used to “ante up” quarters ($0.25) in arcades back in the day to kick others off the machines (dating myself there, yes I’m old :sweat_smile:). But in EVE during that time, I never had a single gank attempt on me, even though I heard that high sec was supposed to be “dangerous”, it never materialized for me.

Then I drifted away, and tried many games since. And quite a few EVE-like games, especially a single player one that I really enjoyed, better PvE, had character animation and voice overs, the Indy company put a lot of heart into it. But eventually, as always, get to the “endgame”. Achieve getting the strongest ship, become god mode, no threats, and of course the game loses its appeal in the end.

Then I remembered EVE, checked to see if there was still any challenge to the game, read about how ganking became more organized. Started dabbling in EVE at first, and found it was more dangerous in high sec, read minerbumping and picked up a new viewpoint on the game, and now enjoy the fact that there is no “endgame” in EVE, you are always challenged to survive. Even had my first gank attempt which was fascinating. The trick tho may be to do a lot of research to figure out ways to survive in high sec and enjoy the game at the same time. And if you get stuck, it doesn’t hurt to ask for ideas on how to “succeed” and survive. And to also try to take losses in stride.

Indeed, as was already said, real life comes first. Restricted playing time is a major factor when playing something as in-depth as EVE. Wormhole life has reasons its designed the way it is, nothing can be done about it right now. There could be options for more time constrained players perhaps in living a more nomadic wormhole play style, but would require research, but just a suggestion. Or try a different play style in EVE. But if you’ve already trod all this ground in the forums before, then yes, at this time the only option is to tend to your family.

1 Like

WTF is that post even supposed to mean ?

Every body has opinion. Just because they are outdated does not invalidate them. People inactive will just not adapt their opinion. Ain’t an issue. You just need to tell them when what they claim is factually false.

2 Likes

I never said it was rocket surgery. I asked whether the opinions of non active players about the current build of the game are as equally valid as the active players.

You don’t really answer the question but I take your answer as a never mind.