Carrier Ratting Balance

Drone boats don’t have the gun/launcher DPS/application to deal with things like that except the Gila and possibly the Rattle with some application issue.

Ishtars, VNI and Myrmidons don’t orbit far only to be AFK. Any fit that can tank a full site from up close will very low DPS and no amount of “kill stuff int he right order” will change that. No secondary weapon system like rails or laser will apply meaningful damage at target from 30+ km away as is required for most of those tank to hold by reducing the rat applied DPS since they can’t hit well past that. Filling those high slots with guns to deal damage also mean sacrifices to tank which are not all that overwhelming to begin with.

Drone boats don’t need gun bonuses. They have their drones for the big stuff. In the case of a 'tar or VNI, medium hybrids have more than enough tracking to deal with frigates, especially when they’re not orbiting you.

Take the Ishtar.

From 30km away, 200mm railguns are very nearly in optimal with lead ammo. Since I’m familiar with drone sites, I’ll use a strain frigate:
http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/item.php?type_id=23486

2 volleys will kill that. 6 seconds. Heavy drones should be able to handle that without going into armor. A non-strain variety is probably one volley, certainly one if you’ve got drones to polish off that last sliver of hp.

I’ve not played with fits, but it feels entirely reasonable that you can fit 5 guns on a 'tar if you skip the 100mn and fit a traditional tank.

Or screw the guns. Fly your regular 100MN VNI. I throw 3 nanos on mine. I can orbit the site at 15km and speed tank everything (frigates included, as they just chase me endlessly. They can point but they can’t web so who cares?). My typical method on them was to run heavies and exclusively target from biggest to smallest until all the BB, BC, CC were dead. Then I abandon my heavies, launch light, pop the small crap, recall, then reconnect to the heavies.

Options exist. If rat aggro were being altered, an abandoned drone would not be much of a threat, considering the impending doom that the light drones now offers.

Beside the lack of a 5th high slot I guess…

A full rack of 200 railgun will have a volley of 354 at all V unless you plan to reduce your tank or drone damage to fit mag stab. That’s before counting the drone’s resist profile of 79% kinetic and 72% thermal which counter hybrid damage pretty well. After applying resist, your alpha strike drops to 83.6 for a DPS equivalent of 26.1. This make your 2 volley claim pure BS if I go with the stats of the rat YOU provided.

Can you provide your fit so we have a common point to compare?

Counting is hard. My derp.

And yes, I forgot that hybrids are damage-locked. Never use the dumb things except for pvp doctrines. I always rat with lasers, as they cater to resistance holes of said rats.

Given that only 37.5% of the railgun damage is in thermal, yes the 2 volley claim is incorrect against the rat mentioned.

This is certainly how it works for individual battleships but when you have an entire spawn shooting at you sooner or later someones guns are going to go off with a drone at low traversal and then that drone pretty much evaporates. Plus that doesn’t take into account the number of rats that fire Missiles even besides the Guristas which use them primarily.

Plus you’re pretty much assuming and requiring RR to keep drones alive, which means that a drone ship has to be within around 10km of whatever they’re fighting. That flat out doesn’t work against quite a lot of rats, which orbit much further than 10km away.

Also EWar and RR doesn’t actually do very well at keeping aggro on most of the dumber rat types so that you can’t run one tanky ship and a bunch of others that have no tank and tons of DPS. On the smarter rats EWar and RR tank a decent amount of aggro, but those rats also swap aggro every so often so they won’t just keep shooting you indefinitely.

It’s probably false even against guristas/serpentis who are weak to both Kinetic and thermal.