Crews for ships…

Sure! The layers of choices make the meta very rich. I am happy we have so many choices. As for adding crew? I am realistic and know this will probably never be a thing here in EVE.

Elite Dangerous is the complete opposite. No layers at all. 1-2 at best. (Ship fits/engineering) Very shallow choices particularly when it comes to the FPS side of it. (Buy suit + gun/engineering)

1 Like

The way this game plays would work great with FTL: Faster Than Light.
Come on CCP, get on it.

Complaining about extra layers is silly. As you pointed out, that’s what EVE is. That said, I can see why some may not like the idea due to the potential tedium involved.

I do think one fantastic positive, is that crew would be a huge isk sink which would help keep inflation in check. The cost per person wouldn’t be that large, but when you take into account all the players paying these fees every month, it would add up to a large sum.

Another factor, is an officer marketplace would funnel a large chunk of money out of the large alliance blocks for their wars. Players who like pve would train up max ranked officers, and relist them on the marketplace, and players (corps and alliances) with deep pockets would buy their contracts.

1 Like

Fair point. The game should be reduced to just one ship with no fitting slots and there should be no boosters or implants either because its just annoying things “You have to do”.

But Elephant in the room, CCP would not be able to deliver on the crew idea for ships even if they tried :slight_smile:

I guess the big misunderstanding here is from a lore perspective. You are right that ships do have crews but taking information from the Chronicles, a few old copies of E-ON on my shelf and The Burning Life by Hjalti Danielsson they just dont do what is being suggested here.

You do not have officers guiding gunnery personnel. You have Joe the Electrician doing maintenance and replacing burnt out power couplings. You have personnel that do rudimentary monitoring of shields to deal with minor debris. Your crew are technicians and maintenance personnel and little else.

All decisions are handled by the capsuleer. All combat and navigation is performed by automated systems hooked up to that egg. Hell, even hull and armor repairs are handled by ship systems with minimal human interaction. Your crew just cannot do things as efficiently as you can manage with a single thought and some nanobots.

There really aren’t many officers to train up and the people they manage have a very, very, very tiny impact on the overall performance of the ship if they have any at all.

Its part of what makes capsuleers so scary beyond being functionally immortal.

2 Likes

In the lore, isn’t the capsuleer in the pod the only person on the ship? If they still had to have a crew, what is the point of us egg people? Wasn’t it so the faction navies could have pilots that never die, and didn’t have to lose a lot of isk, and people every time a ship got blown up? Now it is just the ship that is lost, so why add people back into the equation if you can do everything perfectly well with one person in a pod? And the ships literally fly themselves and do everything a human can do, but faster and more precisely, the capsuleer in it is just to make emergency decisions and work in fleets and if needed(like if the ship decides to kill friendlies for some reason) self destruct it and stuff like that

That’s why in the lore, everyone hates us egg people, we steal their jobs, do them better, and can do them forever because we are immortal. And we make it so our employers don’t need to hire 50 people to do the job, they just hire us and save lots of money, and pretty much get rid of the risk of their employees dying

No not for bigger ships like titans/BS etc.

I guess that makes sense cuz battleships and up are huge, but if caps have more than one person, then why don’t they require more than one person/acc to fly one?

You have ancillary crews. Essentially maintenance staff and technicians plus the logistics personnel requires to keep them going. Billy-Joe Bob the mechanic here to grease up the moving parts and replace blown fuses. In one E-ON magazine short story they mentioned shield personnel responsible for managing heat venting and ennsuring a proper spread of shield strength for travel. We can assume that shields are not given full power outside of combat scenarios where various space debris are youre biggest threats. The Burning Life also makes minor mention of capsuleer crews being highly vetted and having zero access to the capsuleer themselves during operation.

A capsuleer is all that is required to pilot a ship and handle anything you would do from a command bridge but you still need people to keep the ship running in top shape. Estimates for crew sizes vary wildly but in general it goes

1-3 for a frigate
10-30 for a cruiser
Dozens on a battlecruiser
A couple hundred or more for a Battleship
Hundreds if not thousands for capital vessels.

As for why youd work for a capsuleer well, 1 isk is roughly equivalent to $100,000 USD and is factored in to the cost of buying your vessel. Capsuleer crews make wild money.

3 Likes

Ah my friend. Don’t fall into that grey zone where lore/gameplay clash. I and likely many thousands of RPers often like that thinking. Sometimes it can’t be helped.

Lore doesn’t sometimes equate to gameplay.

EVE is very flexible. I like to believe I am not in a pod. (I am a Star Trek Guy) And that I do have a legit crew on a bridge like the non capsuleer navy ships.

Often if I do have to do stuff in my pod it will be for short/trivial things such as hauling or manufacturing.

1 Like

Eh, i sometimes i think about it as me being in a pod, and sometimes i think about it as me being on a bridge, sitting in the big chair and telling everyone what to do, and sometimes i think about it like i AM the spaceship, like Planes or Cars, but in space.

I am a Trekkie too, and I have a question: what is your fav trek show/movie?

2 Likes

Voyager :100: :hearts: :hearts:

Deep Space 9 Also.

3 Likes

I love voyager, but I haven’t watched all of it

1 Like

Deep Space 9

Martok is just so good

1 Like

I like Odo, and the doctor guy(i can’t remember his name) Odo always reminded me of that one Terminator

Edit: I just looked him up, the doctor is named Julian Bashir

1 Like

having seen all tos, the six original movies, the three new reboot movies, half of tng, two seasons of ds9, three seasons of lower decks:

lower decks is my favorite among those

1 Like

IMO the reboots(everything after Star Trek, the 2009 movie) are trash, they seem to be less about exploring, and science, and that kind of thing, and more about explosions, messing up the timeline/backstory and flying the ships like fighter jets

The new trek shows/movies are more like Star Wars, but in Starfleet ships, and I don’t like it

'pretends he is not some clone in a pod but rather a Star Trek Captain with a noble and brave bridge crew.

1 Like

yes, and it comes up a few times each year so going by CCP standard time, give it… 12 years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.