So we have the ability to custom fit our ships, pick out skins, and rename them whenever we want. But what about the people who help our characters run the ship? Don’t they matter too? After all, what is a captain without their crew?
The ability to hire, assign, fire, train, and manage the command staff of your ship so as to add bonuses to your ship’s performance. The game is focused on ships, so why not get into the details about what it’s like to run the ship? Now these would be an optional feature that would enhance the performance of the ship, they WOULD NOT be required.
Each ship would have several positions available to be filled, those include (but are not limited to):
- 1st Officer: Buffs/ Debuffs the abilities of the other crew members
- Chief Engineer: Affects the ship’s fitting / power output / cpu output / capacitor / and module refresh time
- Chief Battle Officer: Affects the performance of the ship’s weapons / defenses
- Chief Science Officer: Affects hacking / survey / exploration performance
- Helm Officer: Affects the ship’s mobility, maneuverability, align time, and general evasiveness.
- Quartermaster: Affects the storage capacity of the ship’s cargo bay / ore bay / drone bay.
- Doctor: Affects the health of your crew members
- Cook: Affects the morale of your crew members
- Requisitions Officer: Replenishes whatever you tell them to when you dock at a station (you control when they get things).
- (And so on)
Since this game is trying to be immersive, it only makes sense for the crew to have needs that their fearless capsuleer captain must meet. Some needs could be:
- Food / Water: If you get a Cook then they will
- Life Support: Because they need to breathe obviously
- Salary: Better crew members cost more to hire and keep on your payroll. If you don’t pay your crew members regularly then their loyalty will decrease and they will leave you.
Each crew member would have several stats that determine how good they are at their respective jobs:
- Morale: Affected by how long it’s been since last docking at a station, how good the Cook is, how good their salary is, how recently they were paid, how long they’ve served on a particular ship,
- Health: Affected by the status of the ship’s Life Support system, the ship’s Doctor, and the status of the ship itself.
- Loyalty: Some people are more loyal than others and will stay with you a while, others might grow weary of your command style and quit working for you, some might take up a better offer on another ship and leave you unless you can beat the offer.
- Skill: A variable that increases over time and with experience, affects the crew member’s performance.
- Talent: A constant variable that acts as the crew member’s base stat, it affects the crew member’s performance.
- (and so on)
Again, this would not be a required feature. It would be a way to enhance your ship and possibly add to the immersion.
Here are some wackier ideas I had as well, I’m not married to it though and I don’t think it would happen:
- Boarding Mechanics: Make it possible to board and hijack ships, would require marines and security mechanics though.
- EVE Asset Editor: Make a tool for players to use to make custom skins, ship models, and so on for players to submit for consideration.