Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

official
devblog

(Jeremiah Saken) #2256

I’m sure the EvE devs are great, but it is not them to decide where to take the path now. Imagine they will actually want to decrease price of the PLEX “because of the community” and “because they have control over EvE”. Nothing like that will happen because they don’t have such control, and if the revenue will not hit expected point there will be changes. Just because they are bought by others and it happens that they are doing games as well doesn’t mean revenue don’t matter.

(Makavi Madeveda) #2257

Could also backfire. CCP and EvE can just as easily be thrown out of China’s market, as CCP and EvE are now Korean products/services.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2258

But that would be razisd :frowning:

(Choking Coyote) #2259

Thanks… If I remember correctly, Australia didn’t even make it on the podium in the race against lootboxes. Silver and bronze medals were awarded to the Belgians and Dutch respectively as they were the first two countries who joined the Americans in the fight against the lootbox after Chris Lee decided enough was enough.

Both Belgium and the Netherlands haven’t changed their stance yet, and when EA recently decided they were going to take the Belgian Gambling Commision to court over “their interpretation of the Belgian gambling law”, the only answer the Belgians came up with was: “Bring it on.”

You might want to keep a close eye on how that lawsuit will develop. I’m certain the outcome will set a precedent and have a huge impact on the gaming industry, no matter what th outcome. Let’s just hope the Belgians win this one.

(Choking Coyote) #2260

Right after China and Iceland signed a $250mil deal over geothermal technology so the Chinese finally can start getting rid of their power plants still running in coal? I don’t think so.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-25/a-250-million-jackpot-shows-iceland-is-deepening-its-china-ties

(Makavi Madeveda) #2261

Again, CCP is no longer an Icelandic company. It’s a Korean company with offices in Iceland.

(Makavi Madeveda) #2262

Racism does kinda go hand in hand with xenophobia, a highlight trait of China.

(Choking Coyote) #2263

Erm… No. As long as CCP remains an independent subsidiary registered in Iceland, they remain Icelandic.

(Beta Maoye) #2264

CCP is not broken. Owners of CCP just want to cash out. CCP can stand on its feet. I don’t think CCP will lost the control in the direction of game development just because CCP is acquired by another game company. I think all game developers, no matter where they came from, want to make great games and they knew game development need rooms for innovation and creativity. Revenue is a natural result from a great game which is loved by gamers. CCP being acquired by an asian game company is not necessary a bad thing.

(Makavi Madeveda) #2265

They’re about as independent as a new born baby. Perhaps you deliberately block out the “wholly owned” part of “wholly owned subsidiary” to make things seem better. You cannot be owned by Koreans, yet claim to be owned by Icelandics. Maybe in your head canon, it works. But in the real world, the one who owns you, owns you.

(Predvodnica LSG) #2266

You can not sell story like this to a cynical Europe …

(Makavi Madeveda) #2267

He ain’t selling it very well to Americans either. lol

(Salvos Rhoska) #2268

You make a company.
I buy 100% of your company, but you get to stay on as CEO.

I pay your CEO salary now.

Do you think you are independent cos your office, which I own and pay for, is in Iceland whereas mine is in S.Korea?

I can sell your office whenever I want. I own it and everything in it, from the wall paper to the toilet paper.

Do you feel independent, when I own the chair you are sitting on, and the company PC you are using? I even own the heat that keeps your office warm and the keys you use to get in.

(Makavi Madeveda) #2269

I think that’s the best part of this whole deal. Hilmar is now officially someone’s bitch.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2270

All of our virtual assets and characters, are now ultimately owned by PA.

This entire game is now owned by PA, through and through.

(Choking Coyote) #2271

I think you don’t even know what “wholly owned subsidiary” means. It’s referring to who ownes the comapany stock and not to country of registeation or the “nationality” of the company.

Since you obviously can’t be bothered learning a thing or two on your own, let me help you a little:

(Salvos Rhoska) #2272

Im sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood what is in the article you linked, in this context, and drawn the wrong conclusions from that.

(Yiole Gionglao) #2273

CCP is a Icelandic company owned by a Korean corporation under the shape of wholly owned subsidiary.

Being owned doesn’t change the nationality of the company. This is how you happen to buy from Irish corporations who happen to be called Apple or Amazon as their American owners but follow Irish law and taxes. Very specially, the taxes…

(MorliDots22) #2274

Basically there are 3 kinds of companies in age of public glass aka internet -

Good , mediocre, bad.

Good ones publish everything about their performance : earnings, accounts, shares, losses - basically : We are good, we will be better"

Mediocre ones also publish everything to show they are not bad “We may underperform sometimes but things are good in general and we are not ashamed to publish data”

The bad ones are usually not interesed to publish anything but in case all good and mediocre publish their data - it will be obvious which ones are lemons even if they dont publish anything.

If a company sells its independency its usually to kinds of cases -

Management wants to parachute to Caribbean Isles or Another project - “Soda Stream to Pepsi - Production and Dev. stays in Israel”

Business is not good and they need a money injection. “Nokia - sinking ship swallowed by Microsoft - huge job losses”

(Eruthos Makanen) #2275

For EVE to live PA needs to understand that world pvp needs to stay so its not easy like every other cookie cutter mmo and so the economy stays stimulated. Also the mechanics of injectors and plex as “pay to win” works alright i guess since you can buy a bunch of stuff and die in fire further stimulating the economy lol. Keep these things and dont make micro transactions effect game play through rng or other bs. Make as many stupid cosmetic things as you like though.