Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

devblog
official

(Jeremiah Saken) #2236

true, but if progression on the game depends on it, like in some hardcore lootboxes cases, it may be a problem.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2237

If Australian internet-police start investigating Australian EVE players for using mutaplasmids to mutate modules as illegal gambling, then yes, I would consider that a very serious problem.

Amen to that…

(Butt Cigar) #2238

All I would advise CCP on is never consider some sort of loot box concept. When gambling regulators crack down, I can assure you that is the first and most obvious target. We all love Eve for its uniqueness and savagery. I don’t want to have to use a vpn client to play Eve. :sunglasses:

(Jeremiah Saken) #2239

They found a “hole” and exploited it. Gamers want to be better than other gamers as almost all MMOs are based on opposing other players. That’s why P2W games didn’t die at glance, players are willing to pay to be better. Introducing RNG mechanism into this made gaming company swim in cash. Human psychology working for shareholders.

I watched one of gaming industry CEO claiming solo games are not worth it, because only 60% of game is finished, on average. So it is wasted potential. So instead they pushed multiplayer modes (not her words). It is cheaper, players will play with each other, and we can monetize playerbase with (in)famous lootcrates rng mechanism. Revenue skyrocketed.

(Pookie McPook) #2240

Certainly better than BDO. They are renowned as having entered into a long term deal with one of the most unreliable server hosts in the industry.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2241

In Finland all gambling is regulated, and happens through a state-owned, but “privatized” company called Veikkaus Ltd.

I promise you, they dont give a ■■■■ about RNG involved in people mutating modules with mutaplasmids in EVE whilst living here and playing through a Finnish IP or service provider.

(Butt Cigar) #2242

That does not surprise me. I’ve just completed a job for an accreditatiion organisation to allow a gambling test lab to add the Swedish gambling standard to their scope of testing. The Swedish standard is… wait for it… infantile. The Australians and Americans are the only savvy nations when it comes to gambling.

(Pookie McPook) #2243

They also acquired Nettention last year presumably in an attempt to address the server issues they were having in NA. This may well just be another attempt to provide a solution to an ongoing issue they have.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2244

Ive personally met a few detectives from the small internet-crime unit here whilst providing testimony in other cases, as well as making police reports of my own regarding internet-crime against myself.

I can just imagine their expression if I tried to report another Finnish player, or CCP/EVE for illegal gambling with RNG lootboxes, or mutating modules… :smiley:

(Beta Maoye) #2245

The acquisition will create uncertainties for devs and gamers for sure. Nevertheless, being owned by a game company is far better than being owned by financial groups, because game company wants to make great games, but financial groups want to make great money.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2246

PA is also owned by “financial groups”, investors and shareholders.

So too, now, is CCP.

(Ramona McCandless) #2247

If you aren’t being funny, that’s shockingly nieve.

(Jeremiah Saken) #2248

You read too much AMA thread, it’s publicity stunt. They will wrote, that everything is fine and in the same time add -15% discount on subbing.

BDO players are really angry how PA treat them - full P2W with enourmous grind - eastern style. Why invest time into game that may become unfun? They cannot guarantee that EvE won’t become unfun because of microtransactions, it is not their decision to make anymore, no matter what they claim. They are sold. It just markieting thing, calm the future to milk by asians, playerbase.

(Beta Maoye) #2249

I see changes are coming. Some people might like changes, while others might not like changes. Good or bad, I think change is better than no change.

(Uriel the Flame) #2250

(MorliDots22) #2251

If there are no real money payouts involved - there is no gambling. A MMORPG is a computer program from a law view point. What can lead to crime investigation are cases of account “clearing” either by intent or voluntary ones -

"A player spent from 1000 up to to 1500 Euros for in game items in a MMORPG called Metin2. His in-game friend promised him to build and level up the avatar even further if he gives him the account login data. He did and instead of leveling his avatar his “friend” sold the items on Ebay. The player pushed criminal charges against the scammer.

The state attorney picked up the case because of public interest. After investigating the case the attorney came to conclusion the accused is guilty of an offence of data deletion - § 303 a , 303 c, StGB ( German penalty code ). The accused was 15 years old at the time of the offense.

The court further concluded that In-game space is not a completely lawless area.

Full Article in german - https://www.e-recht24.de/news/strafrecht/6423-verurteilung-identitaetsdiebstahl-metin-2-ag-augsburg.html

Court ruling in german - https://openjur.de/u/643666.html "

or scams in game - very popular in EVE Online or any MMORPG game - however there are in my knowledge no real published cases yet - if you know some please post or PM me. However if you compare a account based MMORPG = Software with an account based Online-Broker=Software which is trading/selling virtual currencies like Bitcoin - an educated lawman can establish an analogy ( There are plenty of scams in Online-Broker world -

A ( Australia based ) sees B ( Germany based ) doing lots of transactions ( A and B are both clients of an Online Broker C based in Iceland ) and offers him to double his account value if B lends him X amount of his virtual currency. B does it. A sells all virtual currency to the Broker and vanishes with the money. According to german law A commited a crime/offense.

(Beta Maoye) #2252

Don’t be too pessimistic. I think CCP have some very smart people. They knew what are good for the game from many years of experience of communicating with the player base. They will continue to make EVE great.

(Choking Coyote) #2253

How about licensing their games as Icelandic to gain access to the Chinese gaming market? I call that a pretty big insentive. And CCP already has a presence in China so it’s not as if they need to start from scratch.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2254

German law has no jurisdiction on Australian nationals that are not on German soil.

I understand your post, but there is nothing there of relevance to gambling in EVE.
The cases you site constitute fraud, not gambling.

(Ramona McCandless) #2255

Not if its changing from a healthy organism to a cancerous one.

Edit: sorry, didnt check context.

What makes you think there will be change?

The fact their business is games? Business is still business.