Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

The acquisition will create uncertainties for devs and gamers for sure. Nevertheless, being owned by a game company is far better than being owned by financial groups, because game company wants to make great games, but financial groups want to make great money.

PA is also owned by “financial groups”, investors and shareholders.

So too, now, is CCP.

1 Like

If you aren’t being funny, that’s shockingly nieve.

3 Likes

You read too much AMA thread, it’s publicity stunt. They will wrote, that everything is fine and in the same time add -15% discount on subbing.

BDO players are really angry how PA treat them - full P2W with enourmous grind - eastern style. Why invest time into game that may become unfun? They cannot guarantee that EvE won’t become unfun because of microtransactions, it is not their decision to make anymore, no matter what they claim. They are sold. It just markieting thing, calm the future to milk by asians, playerbase.

4 Likes

I see changes are coming. Some people might like changes, while others might not like changes. Good or bad, I think change is better than no change.

If there are no real money payouts involved - there is no gambling. A MMORPG is a computer program from a law view point. What can lead to crime investigation are cases of account “clearing” either by intent or voluntary ones -

"A player spent from 1000 up to to 1500 Euros for in game items in a MMORPG called Metin2. His in-game friend promised him to build and level up the avatar even further if he gives him the account login data. He did and instead of leveling his avatar his “friend” sold the items on Ebay. The player pushed criminal charges against the scammer.

The state attorney picked up the case because of public interest. After investigating the case the attorney came to conclusion the accused is guilty of an offence of data deletion - § 303 a , 303 c, StGB ( German penalty code ). The accused was 15 years old at the time of the offense.

The court further concluded that In-game space is not a completely lawless area.

Full Article in german - https://www.e-recht24.de/news/strafrecht/6423-verurteilung-identitaetsdiebstahl-metin-2-ag-augsburg.html

Court ruling in german - https://openjur.de/u/643666.html "

or scams in game - very popular in EVE Online or any MMORPG game - however there are in my knowledge no real published cases yet - if you know some please post or PM me. However if you compare a account based MMORPG = Software with an account based Online-Broker=Software which is trading/selling virtual currencies like Bitcoin - an educated lawman can establish an analogy ( There are plenty of scams in Online-Broker world -

A ( Australia based ) sees B ( Germany based ) doing lots of transactions ( A and B are both clients of an Online Broker C based in Iceland ) and offers him to double his account value if B lends him X amount of his virtual currency. B does it. A sells all virtual currency to the Broker and vanishes with the money. According to german law A commited a crime/offense.

Don’t be too pessimistic. I think CCP have some very smart people. They knew what are good for the game from many years of experience of communicating with the player base. They will continue to make EVE great.

How about licensing their games as Icelandic to gain access to the Chinese gaming market? I call that a pretty big insentive. And CCP already has a presence in China so it’s not as if they need to start from scratch.

3 Likes

German law has no jurisdiction on Australian nationals that are not on German soil.

I understand your post, but there is nothing there of relevance to gambling in EVE.
The cases you site constitute fraud, not gambling.

Not if its changing from a healthy organism to a cancerous one.

Edit: sorry, didnt check context.

What makes you think there will be change?

The fact their business is games? Business is still business.

1 Like

I’m sure the EvE devs are great, but it is not them to decide where to take the path now. Imagine they will actually want to decrease price of the PLEX “because of the community” and “because they have control over EvE”. Nothing like that will happen because they don’t have such control, and if the revenue will not hit expected point there will be changes. Just because they are bought by others and it happens that they are doing games as well doesn’t mean revenue don’t matter.

1 Like

Could also backfire. CCP and EvE can just as easily be thrown out of China’s market, as CCP and EvE are now Korean products/services.

But that would be razisd :frowning:

Thanks… If I remember correctly, Australia didn’t even make it on the podium in the race against lootboxes. Silver and bronze medals were awarded to the Belgians and Dutch respectively as they were the first two countries who joined the Americans in the fight against the lootbox after Chris Lee decided enough was enough.

Both Belgium and the Netherlands haven’t changed their stance yet, and when EA recently decided they were going to take the Belgian Gambling Commision to court over “their interpretation of the Belgian gambling law”, the only answer the Belgians came up with was: “Bring it on.”

You might want to keep a close eye on how that lawsuit will develop. I’m certain the outcome will set a precedent and have a huge impact on the gaming industry, no matter what th outcome. Let’s just hope the Belgians win this one.

2 Likes

Right after China and Iceland signed a $250mil deal over geothermal technology so the Chinese finally can start getting rid of their power plants still running in coal? I don’t think so.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-25/a-250-million-jackpot-shows-iceland-is-deepening-its-china-ties

2 Likes

Again, CCP is no longer an Icelandic company. It’s a Korean company with offices in Iceland.

1 Like

Racism does kinda go hand in hand with xenophobia, a highlight trait of China.

Erm… No. As long as CCP remains an independent subsidiary registered in Iceland, they remain Icelandic.

1 Like

CCP is not broken. Owners of CCP just want to cash out. CCP can stand on its feet. I don’t think CCP will lost the control in the direction of game development just because CCP is acquired by another game company. I think all game developers, no matter where they came from, want to make great games and they knew game development need rooms for innovation and creativity. Revenue is a natural result from a great game which is loved by gamers. CCP being acquired by an asian game company is not necessary a bad thing.