Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

official
devblog

(Jeremiah Saken) #2215

It would be hard to bring hard “P2W” into EvE without hardcore changing of the mechanics, because why bother with “golden ammo” when it may not have that significant impact on gamepley, so why pay without gain. The way PA dropped P2W level on BDO is hilarious. They seems totaly disconnected from player base, but is that move bring them money? Monetizing in EA make them 10 times profit in a year. I saw numbers rising from 80 to 800 mil.
I would rather expect F2P direction with huge monetization of services, like number of clones, hangar sizes, maybe SP gain etc.

(Pookie McPook) #2216

You have to ask why they acquired Eve for such a huge amount of money when you consider cost per sub. What is PA intending to gain out of this? Increased monetarisation? You’d think their due diligence would have told them this isn’t a community to get on the wrong side of. Programming/game development smarts? You don’t have to buy the company to acquire employee skillsets. Better servers? Now THERE’S a thought.

(Ramona McCandless) #2217

Being able to agree with someone and frame it as an argument is an amazing skill.

Why arent you on tv?

(Jeremiah Saken) #2218

are EvE server really that good and worth almost half bil?

(Salvos Rhoska) #2219

You speak of an illusory choice.

That illusion is in your own head, whereas reality clearly shows EVE is already a F2P/P2W/P2A game.

You have two choices:

1. Grind in EVE.
  2. Pay cash instead for sub, plex, MCT or extractors, and either use them as they are, or sell them ingame for isk to aquire what else you desire.

(Ramona McCandless) #2220

You either still dont get it or are being wilfully obtuse.
Whichever it is, Im not in the mood for this today, so you win, whatever it is you are trying to say.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2221

Its you that doesnt get it, and doesnt understand that the illusion you refer to is entirely in your own perception.

EVE is already what you fear would be the outcome.
You aren’t perceiving the reality of EVE as it is now already, accurately.

Grind or pay, is already what EVE is.

(Butt Cigar) #2222

At least we know the new owners aren’t planning on introducing a pay-to-win model. :roll_eyes:

(Ramona McCandless) #2223

By saying that you have no understanding of my point and are trying to create disagreement where there is none.

(Jeremiah Saken) #2224

Belgium ban lootboxes

lol EA

(Salvos Rhoska) #2225

I guess no, I do not understand it.
Or rather, I understand it and am correcting you of your illusion.

You can either grind, or pay.
That has been the case in EVE already for years.

(Butt Cigar) #2227

It’s not a joke. I’m a senior gambling industry regulator in Australia. This is a hot topic right now. The definition of gambling is being reassessed and there is a growing awareness of how companies are targetting children and getting around the traditional definition of gambling.

(Jeremiah Saken) #2228

I never seen lootboxes as a joke, I laugh at EA. Greed is good…I wonder will it impact RNG mechanics like mutaplasmids.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2229

Australian legislation/regulation is not likely to impact EVE at all.

At worst, CCP/PA might have to stick a “18” or “PG” limit on EVE in Australia.

In gambling, there are two entities. The gambler, and the gambling service provider.
Legislation can address both, or just the other.
On a tangent, its not dissimilar to solicitation for/with prostitution.
Laws globally vary wildly on whom is committing a criminal act. The “John”, the prostitute, or both, and many vagaries on what kind of exchange constitutes either.

(Jeremiah Saken) #2230

not if they change the definition of gambling. Increasing PG is not worth in the eyes of investors, they need more audience not less. People start to understand that race for profits may went to far. Lootboxes are prime example. EA won’t give up that huge income from microtransactions. Meanwhile EvE was sold to the company thrive on them…

(Salvos Rhoska) #2231

With an “+18” or “PG” label, the parents/guardians of a non-adult are responsible for their ward/children’s actions online. If the child/ward is involved in online gambling, that becomes a Child Protection Services issue (or however they are called in whatever jurisdiction), and the parents/guardians would be found negligent.

Iirc, EVE is already labelled “PG”, internationally, not least because of “gambling”, but also offensive language and real cash payments involved in subbing and other CCP services.

TLDR: Anyone under the age of 18, or whatever the age of liability is in that jurisdiction, should not be playing EVE without parental/guardian supervision. If they are, that is the “fault” of the parents/guardians, and they are legally culpable for that, as their child/ward is under their duty of care, and themselves are not of age of legal liability for their own actions.

(Butt Cigar) #2232

If the definition of gambling is updated to reflect the modern world, an 18+ rating is irrelevant. In Australia, the definition of gambling hasn’t been significantly updated for a century. I should add that Australia isn’t a single jurisdiction. We have multiple states and territories passing their own gambling legislation. It’s messy.

(Jeremiah Saken) #2233

Sorry I meant PEGI not Parental Guide. PEGI for EvE is 12. PEGI 12 allows gambling, but it’s not the point. If they enchance the definition of gamling as possible harmfull activity it may become the problem. It’s not like gaming company will change nazi flags with german I WW flags for german players. It would be a mess, some countries would allow it other not.

(Salvos Rhoska) #2234

Well, it hasnt happened yet.
And if it does, the TOS/EULA and “PG” label on EVE is pretty iron-clad.

My post above referred to persons under the age of legal liability being involved in gambling in EVE or another online game (however that is defined/construed).

Adults of age of legal liability might find themselves guilty of gambling in EVE or other games, depending on how regulation/legislation is worded/formed.

IE: If local jurisdiction rules for example activities like mutaplasmid mutations as “gambling”, then anyone engaging it in that jurisdiction would be guilty of that, regardless of the fact that EVE/CCP offers that function/service in its product.

TLDR: Just because committing a crime is possible in a platform/circumstance, does not mean you can do so legally. Its akin to finding a wallet on the street. Either you steal from it, or dont. The fact the wallet is there on the street providing the opportunity for theft, is not material to the act of stealing it or from it.

(Butt Cigar) #2235

“Well it hasn’t happened yet.” You have no idea how much that attitude worries me. The gaming world has gone mad and I know firsthand that regulators around the world are talking about it. I was at the Sydney gambling expo this year, as I am every year. Online gaming offerings were front and centre at a number of meetings.