Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

I can’t go into specifics about what we talked about, but we did bring this topic up.

3 Likes

As long as CCP and Pearl Abyss realize, that the players are eve online and without the players there is nothing!!!

2 Likes

Maybe. Or it was getting us used to the name. Tier 1 Abyss, Tier 2 Abyss… Pearl Abyss.

CCP has unique features when it comes to player retention though. And since BDO has a far larger playerbase, I guess it’s not CCPs market growth abilities they’re after.

That’s probably the core of it. Being profitable isn’t enough for investors, it needs to be ever more profitable.

The issue I see is that CCP was able to go through ups and downs and both the company and players were loyal to the cause, despite major hickups. This could change now. One step into the wrong direction and it could be or will be all over.

Yeah it was all pretty obvious tbh. It was just amazing how in many discussions people simply shaked it off. Alas, this has two sides: players who are willing to eat the cake and CCP, as a business, feeling the pressure to bake it.

Well I tried to bring this topic up with Mutaplasmids in a thread that got derailed and later shut down. There is a clear path to pay real money for a chance on “gold ammo”, which is not quite the same as directly buying it, but close enough.

Can you go into details? I mean, are there any specifics in the contract that guarantee a certain amount of autonomy? Pearl Abyss will want to see profits rising and CCP will be forced to deliver. How is this going to happen and what happens if it doesn’t work out? Are you sure, you aren’t just used to calm us down?

5 Likes

I am thinking Hilmar already knew what to say. Selling his company is like selling stuff to people. He might have just sold you something. :wink:

6 Likes

The Asian market is enormous and untapped, and they have a very different tolerance level regarding RMT/P2W etc.

3 Likes

well the first group of investors can say we know nothing about games so lets leave it to ccp to do what they do best
while the second group says we know a lot about games so lets start meddling with things

1 Like

Just reading that announcement made me regret my last shopping expenses on EvE, feels like having thrown money at a dead horse at this point. Ofc people gonna argue that you have to see the change happening first before judging it. But come on, thats just naive. Rather then a chance of opportinities on the horizon, you should first and foremost see the truth here. An end of an era. The last defenceline hast crumbled, corporate evil has won. Either you await Sauron with open arms, or you grab Sam and get the fk out of here.

Some are downplaying it, others have still hopes… but also many seem to have tingling spider senses about what is to come. Its like you dont even need to play Black Desert to understand it, just research Pearl Abyss a bit, take the informations carefully in. Look where CEOs worked at before and also theyr business management. If you just research the history of the company, which is kinda young enough to understand stuff quick. See where people came from, or where they went when dropping, you can paint the picture rly quick.

Also general business policies play a major role.

Come on, if your accumulated braincellcount is somewhere over room temperature, you cant come to oblivious conclusions here.

the end is near

6 Likes

true, but eve is what it is because of the people who have played it and still play it. Change the player base anmd eve is not eve any more. But thats my personal opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Posting my farewell to the EVE I used to know. o7o7o7o7o7o7

EVE, finally, actually is dying.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Why panic, you could see this coming from when the game was introduced :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well RIP EVE. It was good all these years. Now it will go to ■■■■, mark my words.

Pay to Win shops here we come.

1 Like

Seems to me Pearl Abyss wants to take EVE into the East.

Gaming and social culture is very different there.

1 Like

First i would like to say i been with eve online since closed beta phase 2.
I have played bdo since its european release (and spend over 400+ euros on pets/costumes/horse skill changes/…) inside bdo and that is excluding the monthly value packs.

Its pretty obvious that with the endlessly escalating amount of pay to win inside bdo this news of ccp being bought by pearl abyss has me worried about escalating monitization…

One other thing that has me worried is that pearl abyss traditionaly announces big game changes in korea, in korean first.

This no matter how you look at it is very unfriendly for other markets, we been having to hope that some korean streamer that knows english can watch it with us and translate it as its being broadcasted because that is what it has been like with pearl abyss products.

2 Likes

Trying to revive an old favourite meme. :slight_smile:

I think in this case, yes it’s finally come true.

EVE is truely dying. Black Desert guys? Seriously? Just because they have another (mediocre) MMO, means they know a thing at all? NOPE.

3 Likes

Do we get a free rootkit in the Launcher now?

8 Likes

Any experience in venture capital development, mergers & acquisitions?

Cause without that you will get frank answers which are mere marketing. Wait until the small print goes out in industry circles.

Let’s be honest for a moment. The CSM is not a stakeholder. You have zero influence. You are an instrument. CCP Games is subject to acquisition. It does not take a genius to do some research on these things.

Trying to play it off as doing their marketing while trying to push a binairy agree/disagree arena in an attempt to gain a moral foothold in the debate is emberassing. There’s nothing you can do anyway.

No, EVE is not going to die. But EVE is not static. It never has been. So it will continue to change. But this is business, and you should recognise that there is quite the list of people who had strong roots in old CCP and EVE’s core concepts who have either taken the watch, or flat out left the building. And not just at CCP, go through the changes at CCP’s venture partners and anyone with a single grain of experience in this kind of business strategems will tell you that you’ve been had :slight_smile: Signals such as those says quite a bit in ventures such as these.

Now business being business, and the commercial structure becoming what it has been agreed to, CCP Games will change as well. It’s role and function changes. No amount of marketing can change the commercial reality of this.

CCP will follow strategic targets, adopt both tech concepts and tech flows, while providing expertise and taking in long term directives. This is how this works.

That will change EVE quite a bit more. It’ll be slow, gradual, but the issue isn’t change. It’s the direction and the operational model. The first already is a match with Pearl Abyss, again quite the sign on the wall. The second, that requires careful application of the format of boiling frogs, but it isn’t as if CCP has not been building up experience with this.

But it’s alright. It’s fine. There are people at CCP who through the years have put in a lot of vision and work. Let them be rewarded, let them find their own new paths. That’s fine. Good for them. And sure EVE will catch up with BDO’s model, following Dancey’s old presentation of ST:O revision. It’s fine. If people don’t like it, they will leave, and get replaced by different types of players more accustomed to the new commercial operational model.

Change is a constant. Marketing is always ■■■■■■■■. Business always remains business.

3 Likes

If there is ever another paywall beyond the normal subscription I am out.

2 Likes

Brings a whole new meaning to the “Into the Abyss” expansion, don’t it? :slight_smile:

9 Likes