Dev blog: Structure improvements coming to you this August

Improvements to Structures are coming to you with our next release this August 15th!

These structure improvements include:

• Weapon balancing
  • Corporation insurance to Upwell structures
  • Phasing out legacy starbase industry bonuses
  • New moon scanning UI in preparation for Refineries

All the details about these changes and other improvements are available in the new dev blog.

We also encourage you to test these changes on our test server Singularity.

4 Likes

Hey!
Just a quick note that the structure weapon balance changes will reach Singularity within the next few hours (in contrast to the text in the blog itself). I’ll update this post as soon as this has happened.

Edit: Singularity has been updated and all part of these changes can be tested now.

1 Like

Reduce the rate of fire of the Structure Guided Bomb Launcher from 20 seconds to 40 seconds
Reduce the neut amount per second of the Guided Void Bomb by 25%

So are you increasing the alpha neut ?

Since double cycle time should be half neut per second not 25%

Was genuinely hoping for an overhaul of medium structure mechanics.

doesn’t improvement usually imply the changes are for the better

2 Likes

Great stuff … but where is the most important improvement: Fix the Gunner role. A gunner does not need to be able to fuel or refit a structure. A gunner needs only to gun things down. With the ability to strip the entire fitting as well as take out all the fuel, the gunner role is far too powerful and thus not assigned to people as often as it should be.

5 Likes

Glad to see some increase to subcapital missiles. Currently, they’re a laughable joke in the smelliest dumpster, and the only people who bother to fit them are those in highsec. Here’s hoping it makes them a little more effective.

1 Like

This is a huge nerf, across the board. Here is why:

• If you leave your citadel fit anti-subcap, and they drop as little as a single carrier or dread on it during its vuln window to damage it, its anti-subcap fit is locked in for all 3 timers. You cannot refit to counter caps? So hostiles just bring captials on all 3 timers and easily kill your structure.

• If you leave your citadel fit anti-cap, then hostiles just drop a sub-cap fleet on it during its vuln, damage it and its fit is locked in for all 3 timers.

Up until now, because the anti-subcap modules were so useless, mostly everyone (who was smart) choose to leave their citadels anti-cap fit and would just deal with sub-cap fleets on their cits with counter sub-cap fleets. If hostiles tried to escalate, then the citadel could help defend against the caps b/c it was anti-cap fit.

You want to nerf void bombs? Great.
Your counter-weight to this nerf is to simply buff the subcap missiles? This is an ineffective change.

My solution:

Do not prevent citadel fits from being changed while they are reinforced or repairing. Allow us to swap between cap or subcap launchers as we choose and maybe we can actually put your new sub-cap missiles to use and not have to rely on bombs.

As of right now, you can’t react to a reinforcment and you can’t change your strategy on the second and third reinforcment. Citadel fits can be ship scanned during a vuln period. People just scout them the week before, scan them, see what their fit is…wait a week and counter with the opposite.

:warning: Until this fundamental gameplay mechanic is fixed, NOTHING YOU DO to change sub-cap missiles or modules will have any effect. :warning:

14 Likes

You state that:

• Reduce the neut amount per second of the Guided Void Bomb by 25%

This seems to imply a final energy neuted / second calculation. This seems factually wrong.

The ROF change alone will create a flat 50% energy neuted/s nerf. Is this quoted 25% number a reduction of the neut alpha per bomb? Which would then reduce the energy neuted/s to 62.5% of what it was previously.

Please clarify what the actual changes are.

1 Like

This seems to imply a final energy neuted / second calculation. This seems factually wrong.

The ROF change alone will create a flat 50% energy neuted/s nerf. Is this quoted 25% number a reduction of the neut alpha per bomb? Which would then reduce the energy neuted/s to 62.5% of what it was previously.
Please clarify what the actual changes are.

don’t worry i’ll clarify for you because ccp not only have incompetence in the balance department but also communications

50% increase in void bomb amount (4000GJ to 6000GJ)
halved rate of fire (20s to 40s)

total decrease in neut/s - 200GJ/s to 150GJ/s, or -25%

2 Likes

Yea, I see how they can get to that final number, but I just want them to confirm its not a mistake on their devblog. The language seems to indicate, perhaps intentionally, that void bombs are being significantly changed as promised but hahaha not really though.

I would also like to point out that language around dps bombs is also highly confusing on first glance. To get to a 25% dps increase, the alpha of all damage guided bombs has to be increased by 2.5x.

This is just stupid on all levels. Why is this not detailed in the dev blog?

1 Like

I’d like to see the tackle toned down. you can’t have a 250km web or scram, that’s ridiculous. how about 10km instead, and reduce the web strength down to normal levels. I’d remove structure ECM because it’s horrible and unnecessary - if you guys can’t make ECM a reasonable game mechanic, don’t go around making more of it. I feel like citadels are just too strong vs single targets, I’d like them to be more anti-blob so I die less

guided bombs are silly, I’d like to see unguided bombs instead so the guy in control of the structure has to have a brain

1 Like

CCP is slowly but surely ruining the game! This is going to do very little to nothing in the way of changing how citadel fights happens.

Nothing here changes the fact that citadels are way too hard to kill and it is causing a huge amount of stagnation in the game.

The leadership at CCP needs to be fired ASAP!

1 Like

With the number of citadels that are killed and the relative ease in taking them down are the weapons on Citadels really that overpowered? It would seem that these changes just make it even easier to kill them.

3 Likes

Sooo…

Is it time for a dedicated fuel transport yet??

–Gadget thinks it’s time

1 Like

but when are you going to redo the station services menu and give us an actual customizable personal hangar so we can get rid of ****ing station containers already.

6 Likes

Just make Standup bombs be able to be shot down. Give them a ton of HP and a small sig. This will create a role for the attackers (bomb defense small ships) and the defenders (get rid of AAA).

Bingo Bongo - you have play and counter play.

1 Like

Thank you CCP for your never ending hard work on everyone’s favorite universe and for your struggles lately to properly adjust the way structures operate and affect the game. I’m very sure that all you hardworking CCP employees will keep doing your absolute best to find the proper play balance that is needed to keep the game from becoming boring or predictable or too easy. And to keep all the galaxies and stars and planets spinning around the way that they always should spin without exception (clock-wise and never ever counter-clockwise, haha.) Thanks to everyone involved for giving us the best game on the internet

1 Like

Well, its very rare to see a devblog where I agree with 100% of the points, but you managed that. Good job CCP!

1 Like

tl;dr - The proposed changes are adequate, but not excellent. They may open the door for additional fleet compositions, but do not encourage more creative gameplay.