Dev blog: Upwell 2.0 - Structures Changes Coming On February 13th!

Great work! Thank you!
This new update sounds like it will be great for the game. :smile:

The structures team has made excellent progress on the comprehensive suite of Structure mechanics overhauls. It’s much appreciated, and is looking good!

As a small gang player, I do have a couple of remaining concerns:

1. Citadel grids are not a good place to go in a small gang; the structure’s defenses can shred most roaming gangs. This has made it a lot harder than it used to be to tempt the people living in a system from coming out and saying “hi.”
  2. Tether Radius is ginormous. If by some chance you do decide to stick around on grid, the tether radius area is wider than most weapon ranges at the Fortizar on up range.

The first problem could be addressed by limiting Structure Weapons from firing unless the repair timer is paused, which would permit gangs to stay on grid as long as they liked until driven off by residents. Hopefully, this would result in a bit more small gang PVP around nullsec than we currently see, but it is a fairly dramatic mechanics revision. The second problem could be addressed by shrinking the size of the tether a bit.

Other than that, keep up the good work! :smiley:

i agree with u … if citadel replacing pos why not give them same characteristics.

also i want to point out something , they way citadel deployment works . seems there is just no limitation how many u can anchor in one system or even one grid . thats just nuts. if u go to bigger alliance staging u will see there is just too many unnecessary citadel lying everywhere … i think there should be a limit of citadel u can anchor in one system or have them only anchor able near moons or planets

3 Likes

This change is killing the game for the small corps that have found a nice bit of W-space to live in. As with null sec if you aren’t part of a large Corp or Alliance you might as well packup and head back to HighSec…

2 Likes

You’re concerned that you’re going to be kicked out of Wormhole space, because the required effort to reinforce and destroy your structures won’t stop people from making the attempt anymore?

2 Likes

:hearts:

The 30 minute repair timer will definitely help in general, but if you can’t fix the server load issue where modules wouldn’t cycle or people can’t log in then the extra time wouldn’t make a difference. I believe the solution would be either splitting objectives over different systems to split the load, or eliminating safe areas such as being tethered to a reinforced structure (structure should be focused on protecting itself while reinforced not giving immunity to people outside). This would give the option of reducing people on field, and server and more explosions less staring at each other.

We still need to see the removal of damage caps, let defenders rep the structure as it’s actually engaging and gives are purpose to defenders on grid. Also remove tethering when stuctures are damaged. I’d like to see it removed all together but know it won’t happen. Also, citadels should drop something that represents a loss to the defneders. That would prevent citadel spam.

I wonder how all these structures affect server load…

2 Likes

Hey Fozzie, I know im just a guy on the internet, but i had an idea that might help you guys, TIDI the citadel timers. It was mentioned that citadelles use the real time, that is not affected by TIDI, by design. You guys had stated this would make it difficult to modify the timers.

Why not have some code read the TIDI load in system, and then pass on a modifier to the actual timer based on TIDI load. not trying to directly modify the clock, or timer speed. eg. TIDI in system is at 10%, you then simply modify the total timer by 50%. Im just throwing out numbers, but if you simply had an algorithm check for TIDI in system, and apply a modifier to the timer. you could then set the structure to check TIDI at set intervals (~1m), and adjust the total timer based on the TIDI load in system.

I dunno if that makes any sense, but the idea was floating around in my head for a few days.

Thank you for the awesome job you guys are all doing at CCP, You guys get allot of flak, but its nice to support a company that cares about its game, and actively makes changes to it, good or bad.

2 Likes

This makes me sad. Stealth is back in as the only way for smaller groups to own anything.

2 Likes

If there’s anything shown in the past two years, it’s that trying to make it easy for small groups to hold anything against major powers prevents the PVP game from being played by anyone.

1 Like

It’s called making more friends. It’s time and memorial for holding space.

You mean Time Immemorial. :slight_smile:

How about… when you hit damage cap the timer does not stand still but instead increases again, up to the maximum timer. So, if the repair timer has gone down from 15 to 5min due to lack of damage and you then reach the damage threshhold to stop the timer it stays at 5min. If you do enough dmg to hit the cap (and hit for 0 dmg) the timer starts to increase again. (It can’t be raised above 15min though).

*15min -> 30min now.

@CCP_Fozzie
Ive been playing with the new fighters. They are an improvement. but they need little more

50>100% more speed (they have a lot of ground to cover just to get to the edge of their structure)

a bit more damage, but not so much to make them oppressive.

bit more range on them, again carriers can boost the range with mods, citadels cannot

More hp. they are still weak and cannot be rigged like carrier ones can to bolster their hp.

Bigger fighter bays on structures would be nice

Many thanks

1 Like

This does nothing at 10% tidi when your fighter tubes are taking 2 hrs to reload up after the last 3 squadrons were destroyed.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Capital_Ships_101#Dreadnought

1 Like

Maybe the issue isn’t the game mechanics but that you’re using a flawed method of attack.

1 Like

if timers run in real time and not relative to tidi then it will never be fixed

God forbid highsec has something worthwhile defending there Citadels with, not happy about this decision at all.

5 Likes

implying there is a way to attack a keepstar with a 90 second repair timer and a 60k minimum dps threshold