Devblog: Skillpoints, Cash & New Players – An Update

If it was not for SP Injectors I would not have returned to EVE. I had the isk just not the SP.

I am ok with them. I do have an issue around magic SP from nowhere. It did not stop me from buying the 5 Dollar 1mil sp. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

personally i thought £4.24 for 1m SP was an absolute bargain! Thanks CCP :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Valid points… ones that I had not thought of.

1 Like

The political side is an unintended consequence from way back before the CSM existed, a Dev was caught favouring an alliance, that he was a member of as a player, by feeding them rare and expensive blueprints.

3 Likes

The ability to buy 1 mil sp once per account is not game breaking. Its a good deal but not game breaking. As a result of this correction you are going to have a bunch of people who saw this promotion early take advantage of it. A portion of those people also cry about how it unfair that others be able to acquire additional sp, even though they have the same opportunity. The result of your reversal will be that other more casual players will not get the same advantage as the more hardcore (plays a lot) or the whiny (cancerous) players. In other words, what was a fair playing field has become and unfair playing field.

4 Likes

A million SP isn’t really so much, and there’s only so many SP you can plug into any ship setup anyway. I’m more concerned, just like Roy, about longevity, incept dates and such. If such offers will help New Player retention rates and improve their experience then I personally am all for it, Eve folding would be the real disaster.

10 Likes

before my time apparently

“We understand that we made a misstep with this DLC pack by not restricting it”

then you completley missed the goddamn point.

the misstep you made was to BREAK A GODDAMN PROMISE that you made about NEVER selling sp for cash, and that all SP would come from being trained by players.

you can’t say “we won’t do x” then do x and pretend people are going to be fine with it. just like in game, trust is also a commodity outside of the game.

people are already getting sick of your ■■■■ without you beginning to break promises.

5 Likes

The aim of this DLC pack is to give new pilots a head start in their training without having to commit to the full price of a month of Omega time. It’s also intended to give an immediate boost in training with a bunch of Skill Points that new players can use to get into competently piloting their first ship beyond their starter corvette. The pack is an alternative to waiting for several weeks in order to accrue the skillpoints within it, giving a quick route to immediately training initial spaceship command and weapons skills.

We see them as a service to our new players, not a way to make money.

4.09% is also a hard number. That’s the percentage of new players that have stuck around in EVE after 30 days during Q1 of 2019. We’ve already talked a little about the challenges that face new players this year at both EVE Down Under and EVE North.

I believe it would be better to iterate on your NPE then: make tutorial and career missions to reward players not only with skillbooks (that should also be revisited with alpha accounts’ skill limitation in mind) and ISK, but also some SP at the end of each career path (once per character, to avoid farming).

It is already the case - you get SP if you have skill rewarded in tutorial already learned, so it shouldn’t be hard to expand on it.

3 Likes

That’s nonsense. You could have a big battle in 2000 t1 frigates. Also, anyone who does a little reading learns the big battles don’t work anyways, tidi and the like DOES NOT attract new players. EVE needs more small battles, not more big battles. I think CCP should implement a rule that whenever tidi starts to go into effect, ships do more damage or just randomly explode in order to clear the grid.

3 Likes

Eve already have a hard time teaching people skill points have little influence on player skill. Many people still have the wrong perception that it is somehow necessary to catch up to the “established” playerbase in order to have fun.

When new players get the great “offer” of 1M for an additional 5 EUR, this is just going to reinforce the notion that one needs skill points in order to do anything viable.

Not sure why you guys try to damage control this. It’s just an additional opportunity for generating revenue, nothing else.

If you truly believed additional skill points would improve player retention, you would just rebalance the skill points new characters receive or training time for vital skills.

4 Likes

This. So much this.

It’s also why directing players to specific corps is a problematic idea. say ‘go join a corp’ is good. But there are bad corps out there. So CCP would have to gate keep. And that means CCP impacting the meta significantly more than now.

3 Likes

Boohoo.

That promise went out the window a long time ago. This is just making mountains out of molehills. There is no reason this pack shouldn’t be available to new players, which is what CCP is working on now according to the dev blog. No one has presented an argument against this pack that makes a lick of sense. Everyone says “OH promises! Promises! Don’t you remember guys?”

This is a great move by CCP to help retain players for a price of $5. I hope people take advantage of this as much as possible and use the SP wisely. This 1m SP amounts to more than 2 weeks of SP for a veteran player, but for a newbie or an alpha it’s 4 weeks or more.

Get new players out of the corvettes and get them into a frigate, cruiser, or anything else they want to fly. I’m glad CCP is going directly against the doomsayers and bittervets in this direction. Listening to you guys is getting nothing done.

8 Likes

This means that soon the pack won’t be available to the wider community via the DLC page on secure.eveonline.com and will only be offered to new players as part of the account creation and onboarding process.

This will remove the option to buy the pack unless it’s presented to you as you go through this process.

Then this pack wont help any truly new players, only to re-rolls and alts. Really new player wont know if he really needs that offer when they create their account (in an allegedly F2P game), so many will pass the offer and not be eligible to get it ever again.

1 Like

Calm down mate. No need for these tears.

“We made a mistake, honest. Given our history we should have handled it differently but didn’t, this happens time and time again but trust me, this time we learned from it. Honest. In the mean time we’ll keep making this mistake, I’m sure you understand”.

No.

3 Likes

It only does that because CCP never puts in the actual experience. They only show the shiny, sparkly parts. They never show the real atrocities of tidi, lag, unresponsive clients, 10 minutes in jump tunnel, desynchs when you die in jump tunnel and lose your pod in the same jump tunnel. If they showed more of the real experience, a lot fewer people would get deceived by this.

Also, in the past we didn’t need 1000 titans in one group and then for hundreds of slots nothing. Big battles were more enjoyable until CCP started to choke EVE with this utterly ridiculous focus on Capitals only. Nothing but capitals. Capitals everywhere. Titans should have never gotten to the numbers in all of EVE where people can fill multiple fleets with them from just one block. It should have been a priority for CCP to prevent this from ever taking place.

From my experience, I have not had any problem with coping with the in and out of game information sources. All you need is proper Google skills to know what to look for. And you need to know what questions to ask. These skills seem to have gone down the drain in the last few years. Just as CCP’s grasp on what makes EVE enjoyable.

They should support EVE university more and have them take care of new players properly. All these null sec newbie corps are useless tax grabs. EVE University does a better job than any of those at explaining and demonstrating EVE in all its facets to actual new users in a structured and meaningful way.
That aside I find it rather mind-boggling how dependent players these days are. This ridiculous need for handholding for everything is so anti-EVE it makes you wonder why these people should be kept in the first place. Where is the sense of wonder, the lust for exploring things and discovering things? Where is the drive the experiment with things? Why does everything need to be readily explained in bite-size portions without putting any effort into learning something? What good will players like these do to EVE which depends so much on discovery of patterns, opportunities, weaknesses, strengths of opponents, NPC, other players, markets, situations, encounters?

2 Likes

I didn’t even know it existed until they made the dev blog and thread discussing it. I wonder how many packs they sold after effectively advertising it and saying that they would soon change it so that older characters couldn’t use it.

Anyway, I don’t think letting new players buy 1 mil SP once is something to get bent out of shape over. Moreover, I commend CCP for quickly responding to player concerns (this time) and changing their procedures (i.e. saying that they will run stuff like this by the CSM in the future).

That being said, I don’t want to see a future where new players feel like they need to buy various dlc’s in order to compete. Moreover, CCP seems like they’re trying to toe the line, and it might very well take players pushing back to keep them from crossing it.

3 Likes

I love the contradictions in this thread. Everyone is complaining about the DLC pack because it could affect their skill farm. Then they all get on forums and say that selling SP is wrong. I don’t care about your skill farm.

If CCP removed skill injectors tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear.

8 Likes

Back when I cared more of EVE I suggested to let players root into the places they were going on their own, like highsec and missions.

Instead of “you’re here, cool game is over there”, make a “cool game” from the place where players actually set foot.

I still think it makes more sense to deliver satisfaction where your customers are than let them drown in mediocrity hoping that somehow they will find the good bits on their own.

Not that it matters anymore. They want to retain new players, and yet they only add new content aimed at those who were retained 10 years ago. CCP will buy a new CPR machine to keep their toddlers happy and will then wonder why the elder just keep dying and toddlers keep quitting…

2 Likes