Devblog: War, War Sometimes Changes

It seems like the easy way to let people protect the moongoo would be to just have an ACL entry on refineries. If you’re not on the list, and you mine a rock on-grid with the refinery, you get a suspect flag. Poof, problem solved.

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s a pretty isolated case. I mean, if that is what CCP thinks is ‘too exploitable’, great, but I question why that’s too exploitable, but ‘I have 1200 skill goo accounts that all pay for themselves and funnel money into my 3 combat accounts’ isn’t.

1 Like

Sure it opens up opportunity to bully, yet now there are clear assets in space for an assaulting war group to engage. They can cross gates, cyno, find wormholes, or begin a slow armed buildup within the NPC stations of the island itself.

Seems like a bunch of great changes!

First, good changes. Second, I’m disappointed.

I was hoping for a big overhaul of highsec aggression to foster more PvP. Instead you deliver a bunch of very small “no-brainer” fixes. No risk, no big change, no vision.

Is this really all you have for highsec PvP?

This seems great. Not sure if it will shake out to be as good as it looks on paper; however, trying changes and tweaking a few of them when they don’t workout like you expect them to seems like a great step forward. Looking forward to these.

What about suspects that are in current wars? Can I rep a guy while he is attacking a suspect in a war that is shooting him back? Or can I rep that suspect that is in a current war but being attacked by a player that is attacking him because of his suspect timer?

no.

Shooting someone who’s suspect gives a limited engagement timer. You rep someone w/a LET, you go boom. You rep someone w/a suspect timer after April, you go boom.

1 Like

So the new neutral logistics will be to use an alt corp and hide a structure in some middle of nowhere like a poco maybe. Use the main corp to war dec the alt corp everyone joins same fleet and logistical support can be given. Or does the conditions mentioned apply to the alt corp and main corp even while at war with each other?

No. If you use an alt-corp and rep someone in the main corp, the logi goes boom, unless they’re in an alliance together, in which case, they’re both in the same war anyway.

1 Like

The metric of new players joining a player corp within 3 days is completely bogus. As if you never have interactions with other people unless you are in a player corp… ?? well maybe is you abyssal all day…

This change seems like its not very well thought out, and it seems like its tailored to make it easy for large nullsec entities to stop all of their wars they have to kill jump freighters and missioners (90% of csm are from null bears and carrier ratting carebear alliances, so whos surprised here) and as far as neutral logi goes, stop crying and think of a way around it, like intelligent people, instead of hoping ccp will continue to baby you for being stupid, entire neutral fleets coming in to smash neutral suspect logi jas loong since been an effective tactic against it, and then the nain dps fleet cant even engage the neutral fleet fisting its logi wing, all n all, pretty fair imo. So in my opinion, ccp should stick to these useless UI updates they keep forcing down every ones throat, because apparently they lack the creativity or intellect to push out anything but a half baked idea

1 Like

What are you talking about?

1st of april I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you sure of this because I didn’t see that mentioned in the blog? So I could shoot my logi in the alt corp but not rep or boost them even if in same fleet? If so then great if not that will be what people do to avoid having their logi be a target and it will offer more protection than there already is.

Basically, the upshot of the neutral logi changes will be forcing attacking groups like PIRAT to put their logi into PIRAT itself… until multiple groups of defenders show up. Then everyone, including the logi, jumps to an alt-corp that only has the target war-dec’d.

That way, none of the other defending allies can help. THAT will still be perfectly legit.

Meanwhile, the defending groups cannot provide remote assistance even if they are all at war with the same attacker, or they go boom. So you can’t hire mercs to help you defend unless the mercs (who usually have their own alliance) join your alliance. Or you can, but they have to be completely self-contained. You can’t rep the mercs you hired, and the mercs you hired can’t rep you. Or boost you.

Basically, this pretty much forces consolidation into ever-larger alliances, while doing nothing to stop wardec groups from corp-hopping to minimize their risk. Because that encourages “the sorts of wars that provide entertaining conflicts between corporations and alliances while reducing the number of situations where players experience a lack of viable choices”.

That sound about right, @CCP_Lebowski ?

4 Likes

100% one of the biggest problems in the game right now. CCP basically advertises that the game is optimal with alts (hence multi-character training and 3 character slots) yet the only way to share items easily between characters is to have an alt corp. This is super problematic as it essentially means you either exist in a corp or you have to make new accounts and put them in an alt corp, which requires more work for everyone involved.

The answer that Steve gives is “it takes a lot of work,” yet nothing is described. Why does it take so much work? If we have corporation hangars that are shared between corporations, then surely there’s some sort of “flag” set on the corporation hangar that allows access based on an ACL (corporation roles.) Why can this not also take place with, for example, “groups” in game. In addition to corps, introduce a “group” system (could be implemented under the “friends” menu??) that would also have these flags applied to it.

I get that the code is old, but I have to imagine that if the code is doing the same thing for another area then it could be doing the same thing in this area with a few different variables. I know that is overly simplified, but I really think item sharing in game needs to be easier. The “trade” system is clunky and the contracting system does not lend itself to mass-scale production.

Reactions at any reasonable size are not feasible unless you have an alt corp, and alt corps are damaging to the game (IMO).

2 Likes

Very nice changes, especially the stuff with the neutral logi in high sec. Might breathe some life back into actual wars with goals now.

Are you in the same alliance? No? Are you in the same FW Militia? No? Do they have a capsuleer logoff timer? (WHICH YOU GET BY BEING SHOT, EVEN IF YOU DON’T SHOOT BACK) Yes?

BOOM.

They can already do that, as their is high sec islands there, same with solitude.

1 Like