EVE Launcher crashing on "Checking GUI Version..."

You can’t anymore because when they added the new Eden store there is something passed from the launcher to the game. At first you could but then the nes wouldn’t work and there were some weird issues in game with Plex, MCT certificates, skill injectors, etc if you didn’t use the launcher to log in.

With the recent launcher debacle I tried it again and now it flat out blocks you from logging in. It does show the old log in screen with input but then gives an error saying that log in method is not allowed and to use the launcher.

I’m also encountering the same problem, started with with the launcher update yesterday, which broke the launcher, something about the Qt5 .dll is broken. Then, I deleted EVE and reinstalled it with the newest launchers from the EVE Download page. Now the launcher is starting up, but now its stuck at Checking GUI version and is giving an almost identical long list of errors
0188:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId 09C568A8, 0D91DAE8

true, I paid for omega but I cant even play the game… sad CCP lmao

You either have to manually compile Wine with a Patch (metioned in this thread) or replace the launcher with an older Version and cancel the update until Wine is fixed.

I can confirm that using the patch https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/199525 in custom build wine stable 6.0 solved the issue on Fedora. Thanks.

We have two threads up for this, in the interest of people reading this months from now we should pick a thread and stick to it. These two threads are the same bug.

Has more replies, I suggest we all post in that thread and not in this one.

A new staging build of Wine got available today. So I gave it a shot. Result: Launcher stops with checking GUI :frowning:
Thanks god I have made a copy of the “EVE” folder before… so fixing this was just renaming the backup folder :slight_smile: and skipping the launcher update.

Anybody has more success with this?

Just confirming like others have already done that this Wine patch: https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/199525 fixes the launcher.

I am now running wine-staging 6.2-1 with the above patch, and the launcher is not causing any trouble.

For anyone on Arch who needs instructions on how to patch wine here’s the basics:

1. Install the arch source tool: pacman -S asp
  2. Go to an empty directory
  3. Download wine PKGBUILD and associated files: asp checkout wine-staging
  4. Open the PKGBUILD file in an editor
  5. Add the patch file to the end of the sources list (replace lines 14-18 with the below):
source=(https://dl.winehq.org/wine/source/6.x/wine-$_winever.tar.xz{,.sign}
        "https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging/archive/v$_pkgbasever/wine-staging-v$_pkgbasever.tar.gz"
        30-win32-aliases.conf
        wine-binfmt.conf
        "https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/199525")
  1. Add the following on line 131 (after the wine-staging patches section):
  # apply custom patch 199525 to fix EVE Online launcher issue
  pushd $srcdir/$pkgname
  patch --forward --strip=1 --input="../../199525"
  popd
  1. Build and install with makepkg -sri
1 Like

There is a new wine staging for debian testing (6.3-bullseye - or something like that). Did anyone test that version yet?

Yes, I tried it. No joy.

The fix did not go into 6.3.

WineHQ Patches List shows that the fix, patch ID 199525, failed a Testbot test. The Testbot log shows that the git apply to apply the patch failed. I don’t quite understand why it failed, but it looks like it might be a file permission issue.

Disappointing. But thank you for the feedback.

Just a quick heads-up: the 199525 patch has been re-submitted as 201119. As of this post timestamp, it lists as “New”.
This being said, the launcher (and client) work just fine under Steam with he latest Proton.

Unfortunately today’s launcher is still not working with current wine staging on my Ubuntu Linux. However, the patch is now in status “superseded” (was “test failure” previously), so I hope the next wine staging release will have the issue fixed.

It has now passed the tests. Might be a will before it make it into a even a dev release. It hasn’t even been merged into git yet.

3 Likes

I want to rectify my previous post, I’m still using wine 5.7.x, changing to wine 6.0 does not crash but the launcher is a no go.

If you are on Ubuntu or other distro that has Lutris, go for it, waaaaaaaaaaay easier.

Also DXVK 1.7 working nice.

I’m using Lutris wine so far, no issues.

As of today, patch 201119 (search in page there’s no direct link) hasn’t still got assigned to a dev for review …

Patch 201119 is now shown as “Committed” on the Wine Patches Page.

Since (i) Wine 6.4 is not yet released, (ii) release cadence seems to be about two weeks and (iii) Wine 6.3 was released 26 Feb 2021, it seems reasonable to hope that Wine 6.4 will include the patch and will be released Soon ™.

1 Like

Hi, this is now officially committed into the repository of Wine.

See: WineHQ Bugzilla – Bug 49531 – Multiple Qt5 applications spam the console continuously with 'fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId' ('INetworkConnection::GetAdapter' returns incorrect adapter GUID)(Futubull 10.x, Melodics V2, Topaz Video Enhance AI 1.x)

3 Likes

Wine 6.4 is released, but Ubuntu binary I need is not yet up.

Good news!
Wine 6.4-staging fixes two issues.
The new version of the launcher no longer crashes.
The texture problems with wine6.1 - wine6.3 are gone, your ships and stations are now in their original glory.

Cheers!

1 Like