EVE Online 2024 - Directors Letter

I didn’t track when he was first appointed Creative Director, but it was pre-2019 for sure. So he was there for a lot of the really poor decisions CCP made in the past 5 years. And server numbers are basically only returning to where they were before CCP decided they had to stomp the economy flat.

I do agree that the past year or so has had a better outlook on actually improving the game (as opposed to just tweaking numbers to wherever CCP decides). So hopefully that can continue. Neither this past years focus nor next years really do much for me personally, and a lot of things they still did pretty badly on (UI for one). But as long as they’re doing overall good things for a decent amount of the player base, that’s a positive in my book.

Well Cryptic’s actual original mission editor was developed for City of Heroes. And it’s still working fine there in the various reboots (one of which has recently received an official license from NCSoft).

The problem for Star Trek Online is they lost all the coders who were familiar with the original code, and they aren’t willing to pay anyone to re-learn or re-write the original code. So they keep having to trim older parts of the game out and throw them away, while most new content is a copy/paste/edit of existing content.

Sound familiar?

At some point “EVE Forever” is going to require CCP to bite the bullet and redo large portions of their aging and increasingly obsolete code base. But I suspect they’ll just keep patching things together until something blows.

1 Like

Supposedly the Trig / Drifter plot lines were put on hold due to the shooter not being ready. Initially they were going to push Project Nova, but people thought the floating bodies were a bit weird, so the effort was scrapped.

Now that Vanguard is coming closer, we can expect some of these efforts to get restarted.

CCP has plans to move to Python 3. I’m guessing that will force them to rewrite sections of the code they wouldn’t otherwise touch, and if they’re going to do that, then they’d probably be better off on rewriting some of it from scratch which will allow them to fix some of the old broken stuff (like those issues with crime watch.)

2 Likes

Yah CCP can’t just keep layering content and expect things not to implode eventually. I am waiting for a patch to break concord or something major. :joy:

2 Likes

Yesterday, I was having major issues with the ui, clicks failing to register while trying to drag windows around and other ui related issues. All those issues seem to have been resolved today though. imo, that seems like a client side issue, but who knows what could have caused it with their swiss cheese code.

If the python 3 upgrade cleans up the back end, I’m all for it. hopefully it will clean up some of the server lag as well.

2 Likes

At the end of the day its still Python

An instant reduction for lag could be to remove player collisions. Then ppl can fly through each other and NPCs ie no more bumping. The game not having to track this is a big boost in performance.

Major MMOs do not do player and NPC collisions either and you probably never noticed when you played them. Queue the noo you cant do that posts but remember there are no solutions only trade offs.

Have a nice day.

That’s just a pure nonsense whine. The game already knows where every ship is. It’s not having to perform n-body calculations for every ship on every other ship. As the bump region is a sphere around each ship, it simply needs to know if any spheres have overlapped. Basic trigonometry…Pythagoras. …which the system already does in order to display how far away other ships are. So all the information to determine a bump is already an essential part of the game and there is no ‘additional’ calculation required.

You keep inventing ‘problems’ that don’t actually exist.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, we missed the mark on this one. Thank you for creating a thread for us, though - we’re always eager to hear player perspectives!

4 Likes

CCP Burger’s real name is Bergur. At player meets (and at work) many people would end up tweaking his name to “Burger”, so he adopted the moniker as his own :smiley:

8 Likes

We have the forums for feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

I read that letter from start to finish. Very upbeat tone for new stuff coming and congratulatory for what came before. Good slap on the back, mate. Everybody is excited about 2024.

Absolutely grand.

1 Like

I wonder if we get the Guristas bunny hunt or Guardian’s Gala this year… A year is too long to wait for another set of events (we need something in Spring and Summer other than the Alliance Tournament).

If those events were on the docket, they’d probably be in the roadmap. CCP changed some of the backend for events so they may not be working properly. If that’s the main reason why we’re not getting them, then we may see them again in the future.

That said, we do have some sort of event in the works. (Excerpts taken from the “future of war” section of the letter.)

In the lead-up to the summer expansion, a new era will begin to unfold in New Eden, details of which will start to be revealed in-game shortly.

That sentence suggests we’ll be getting another shadow war style narrative event to start releasing whatever tech is involved for the summer expansion.

What we can say is exciting new technology and resources will give players the opportunity to build and customize their space in nullsec, creating new conflict drivers and objectives. Bold and lucrative opportunities will arise for established corporations and alliances, but also for small opportunists that can attack vulnerable areas to gain resources. One thing is certain, the value of owning and defending space is set to rise.

And even if you’re not directly involved in nullsec stuff, consider the fw corruption mechanic. Even if we don’t get non resident sov stuff in the summer expansion, there will likely be coming a mechanic to influence it in a similar way the corruption mechanic does for fw. How that will all play out, who knows, but it does seem to be interesting, both for the residents and those who hunt them.

1 Like

One could hope that CCP won’t just do a Grind-to-implement-predetermined-outcomes for once so that players can actually sabotage plans of the pirate or empire factions.

2 Likes

The statement from Burger suggests people will be getting the tech for their Corps / Alliances from the Empires. Not sure how, it could be some sort of lp reward, which would suggest a grind of some sort and not really something you can deprive people from getting. (Other than just killing them while they’re doing it.)

And a quote from the letter:

“One thing is certain, the value of owning and defending space is set to rise”

Indeed yay, no sarcasm :slight_smile:

I imagine Fozzie might have said much the same, a dozen years ago.

Given CCP’s history, my expectations are limited to “I hope they don’t break anything too badly, and at least some few good things come out of it”.

2023’s efforts didn’t turn out too bad. So hopefully 2024 will be similar. But I’m not exactly gonna be surprised if we end up with another " From Extraction to Production " mess.

1 Like

Sorry for the possibly stupid question, but what exactly does this mean???

“… and supported individual playstyles by deregulating currency and incentivizing diverse ways to earn money.”

I mean the “deregulating currency” part, just to be clear …

Loyalty points exchange being restored?

Well the rest of the paragraph refers to deregulation from the past 3 expansions

Heres what the AI thinks

When do we finally get to transfer/consolidate Evermarks ? This may be all the more relevant if the new skin making feature involves Evermarks.

1 Like