EVE Player Count

100 were probably from one or two individuals who shall not be named…

1 Like

Catalyst was a miner revolution, it ended scarcity basically for miners.

But small corps are having a lot of troubles staying alive without players willing to sacrifice their

time to a cause, that can get made impossible to sustain, bc of a small change in the reaction book,

or a new, small fleet of PvPers, running Marauders, can snipe out your Fortizar with minimal effort,

and your corp, don’t have but 4 people maybe, out of which only 3-4 hours a day they are all online at the same time.

If their project goes belly-up in one intruders incursion, there’s a high chance they will all quit.

If it was not Marauders but a simple 5 Apocalypse navy, the result would be the same…

Instead of nerfing Marauders, I would concentrate my efforts to retain those small corps who invested in a Fortizar in null sec… making it much more powerful to bring down… easier to fit with XXL Cruise batteries that cant be destroyed but built in…

Choices matters.

A lot.

A 10 year long project suddenly useless for an added reaction, almost impossible to make without re-configuring all your previous efforts, bc you just lack the human resources to make it all work…

There’s a high chance that if barriers are not pre-build in the beginning to prevent the shockwave, these corps will implode…

So Ending scarcity after the shockwave have hit, is a big bet… that new people will come back and re-start a 10 year long project… why risk it all? Put barriers up before the surge…

Marauders players will not come back to play T1 BS… with the current scarcity loot system still in place…

The examples are many… the assumptions over the top.

EVE for sure appeals for “private gameplay”. I don’t want to offend anybody, I was there myself (not in EVE), but for sure into my private space without needing to interact, which I consider very close to autism, so I grow up and gave up these kind of gameplay, like civilization and stuff.

But I can see the appeal for sure, I surely crossed many pocket or non-busy systems with some POS denying dock having their day to day private gameplay.

I don’t think it’s health to the game, neither to the person, but it seems to be working so far to both parties (company and the players) so I’m not going to attack that.

Of course, disruption to this “private world” will cause nerd rage.

At the same time, I’m not a total ignorant to the needs of industrialists / miners and the day to day gameplay to farm stuff and mine stuff. I’m just saying this solution is a poor one. The company never fixed it, so every cycle of changes gets worse and worse results.

In a sense, I’m bold enough to say, EVE is a universe of “private players worlds”. Most people like to talk big, but they mostly do a day to day, same old, same old crap loving the fact they are not interrupted…

I’m not sure why FC does not transition to a Low Sec / NS with only Exordium and few border HS systems. The amount of private gameplay must be big, but they keep selling the NS wars are what’s EVE created for.

This indecision will be the end of them, I think. They will end displeasing everybody in the end.

And that was a test to see who reads until the end, I just invented all that crap to provoke people. If you read 'til the end, do not reply. :innocent:

I’d say the True EVE online player count, is sitting at around 6-10k(real players) anything higher is Alts and bots.

I use 4 accounts so I would be 1(true) 3(alts) making 4 in the 30k online

I’d wager the true player count is probably 50-75% of the concurrent player numbers at any given time. I don’t think there are as many alts or bots as people think…

I have 5 accounts; I played for 10 minutes today on 4 and 40 minutes on one.

2 Likes

I mean we could find out, the number but it would have to be a massive community under taking of flying through every single system and logging the number of players, then adding them all up and dividing by 2(avg # of alts)

That would give us a more accurate rough approximation I think.

So you think Fenris is lying about the online player count? The number that’s readily available at all times for everyone.

You are making what is a common mistake on these forums…assuming that the ‘30K online’ is the same 30K for an extended period.

In reality it is much more like a stretch of motorway, where cars join and cars leave, and the average number of cars on the motorway at any moment is 30K. This means that the true number of cars actually using the motorway in the course of a day is way higher than 30K.

You can get a rough idea of the true ‘number of players’, by noting the average time spent online is about 2 hours ( according to Google AI ), and same source says average concurrency is 24,000. As 2 hours is 1/12 of a day…that means on average the total number of unique chars logging in each day would be 288,000. ( And worth noting that if you did the same calculation for a week, a month, or a year…the numbers would get progressively higher ).

That’s a rough figure…but its more accurate than the ‘30K’ people keep throwing about as if it was the total number of EVE players.

4 Likes

You would have to do that all at once to get a snapshot for a certain hour, because the logged in players and their timezones change over the day very much. And also likely within the hour you are doing it. I doubt it could be done at all and also with any useful result.

A static view means therefore nothing and is also different during the week and on the weekend. The composition of logged in players changes steadily.

I also see no reason to do this and not trust FCs number reports.

And what would you do with that information anyway?

People move around a lot. He would count the same character multiple times unless he also records them by name (which would add a lot more complexity to the task). Also, unlike Fenris, he would have no way to discriminate between discrete characters and discrete players.

Also, completely unnecessary to do this, since Fenris provides active player count for everyone to see. Unless a person is really paranoid and conspiracy-theory-minded, there is absolutely no need for such an ‘‘undertaking’’.

“and five mice”

that is strangely hot. :joy:

200 people in Amarr… im on 7 accounts, other people are on ten. 40% of local uses english.
I judge the health of the game by the revenue in trade hubs over the years. Its not good. All this multiboxing to hide it… late stage cancer. Its going to be just carebear MBx in the end.
Dont forget that being a massive Mbx also gives you so many advantages that you no longer even need to pay for accounts. It ruins pvp… blah blah. i almost get sikk of repeating myself…
Ccp seems to be ok with it so its Adapt or Die.

And that is also the only thing that counts in all those discussions…no perceived subjective stuff. FC has the player numbers, they watch the PLEX price, they evaluate their income stream…

If all is good for them, then the game is healthy with that setting and continues unchanged. If it is bad for them then things will change.

Did you know that some people never even enter highsec anymore once they settled in 0.0?
Also what good is it to watch a trade hub. What action is there to be had? If anything, one flies in, one buys stuff, one leave to play the game elsewhere.

In any case, subjective lamentation serves no good apart from bad feelings.

If you want an overview over the whole universe, you could look at what happens on zkill. Looks very healthy to me. Lots of action. 53.000 unique characters involved in PVP in the last 7 days.

1 Like

Well, since you the one that opened that door, I don’t feel bad putting it plainly.

FC knows their hardware can’t hold lots of players, they opted for an “elite”, for them sustaining elite players is way better than an influx of low Average ticket ones. It took me sometime to understand, and after ugly cat spending 2k it’s not even hard to justify my assumption.

So yeah, it’s just my assumption, but it’s damn right, lol.

That goes with your phrase “subjective lamentation serves no good apart from bad feelings”. I’m just being more blunt.

I could be even more, but I know my limits.

Now, when you read “elite pvp”, you cannot avoid thinking about the elitist layer in that statement. :innocent:

1 Like

That’s a very interesting observation Asgidur. I have been trying to get them to understand that they pushed too far already and now if i consider what I would do IF i were them…its not like they make the money anymore to improve. They already lost that war in the creative department.

I do have faith in the CEO to do his job though and improve the metrics. My role is simply to speak and hope to be heard. Im happy with the current direction of change and his ability to speak for us all. :clap:

You miner!

1 Like