EVEMon 4.0.20 - ESI Edition

The performance of Evemon is getting quite horrible, to the point it’s starting to crash every once in awhile. After it’s trying to load my 35th character, it massively slows down and I’m only half way through.

After a tons of waiting it either crashes completely or finally becomes usable. At least, it was usable last week, now it just crashes every time

There’s something fundamentally wrong the way it handles character data and it should be looked at.

AKA - “Help, this free, volunteer-maintained software I use for ridiculous numbers of concurrent characters won’t work properly - SOMEBODY FIX IT NOW !!!”

Nope. It handles any number of character DATA just fine.
The problem is how it handles output. I.e. how it displays characters, and this is why it noticeable slow down or outright cease to function after about 15 characters added. GDI resources aren’t infinite.
If you want to change that, the project is open source and contributions are welcome.

@Dravick_Afterthought
It’s a reasonable request, it may have been asking somewhat impolite, though.
People use EveMon for everything skill related, it’s the top tool for that. Some people are going to use it in extreme ways, and push the limits. While it may not be possible to fix, optimizations may be possible that increase performance for that use case (that have been the case for jEveAssets many times when people have pointed out parts of the program that was slow. It’s quite easy to profile software now days to find places to improve the code - that may not always be possible ofc.).

It is indeed a reasonable request - it was the tone of the post I was responding to, not the content.

1 Like

Hey peter,

Why EVE Mon wont self update my wallet and skill changes?

Its not related to the update queue timer, it just wont update.

I need to close it every time and open it again one minute later.

Thank you!

So what? It’s not my job to fix someone else’s errors, and even free and open source software is expected to have some standards of quality. Benevolence of software’s creator(s) is irrelevant since the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Though I’m speaking generally here, and not targeting EVEMon specifically…especially since probably CCP is responsible for half of EVEMon’s errors because of bad ESI requests.

Generally speaking, the project is open source and contributions are welcome.

If we instead speak specifically about given issue, this was a design decision. Every system can be pushed to their limits, you just hit a limit in this one.
The problem is known for nine years at least. The fact it bothered all of the 4 people in an entire lifetime of the project says something about its severity, don’t you think?

1 Like

Moan, moan - It is your job to STFU if you’re not willing to help.

Nobody needs to STFU more than cowards hiding their posts behind their npc corp alts.

1 Like

That’s because of scumbags like you - why did you feel the need to search for me in game in order to answer a forum post ?

Any update for new EDENCON skills?

3 Likes

Any chance to see total skill points in queue?? i ve dloaded for that but i cant find it…

Create a plan from queue.

Great…thx a lot…

Hey,

I’ve been having this issue for the last 2 days. Is anyone else experiencing this or is it on my end? I’m also unable to add characters through ESI.

Cheers!

Nope. But I’ve had a hell of a time retrieving certain data, and also whenever my PI planet extractors go idle, I get a notification every 30 seconds for eternity. I’ve looked in notification settings and turned them off, but still get them. I have to turn the whole thing off until I reset my extractors. LOL. Most (75%) of my character data is reliably retrieved though, so other than that annoying (bug?), EveMon is still useful to me.

Dray

Hi, Guys!

Firstly, thank for the awesome utility!

Is anyone else experiencing issues with EVEMon today? Earlier this morning, started getting errors regarding communications, then all characters went to “paused” in their skill info in the app. I am guessing it is an ESI issue, since Neocom is also experiencing issues, just have not seen anything anywhere, so wondering if it was “just me.”

is a problem in the finish_date in queue info , ESI is giving us a “”, not the real data.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for heads up, Ritek!