Absolutely. It serves to duplicate functions we already have and it’s not accomplishing those better, not to mention: at all.
I remember one of the things that guys were hoping it would provide, was a player-driven missioning system in the game. Although I don’t mission, I thought that would have been an interesting development.
Missioning system is outdated. But if freelance jobs could provide player-driven mission content, then it can’t be based off of cost-benefit ratio, because market will outcompete the system, which is exactly what it’s doing. For missions, it should provide a whole new content, like players able to create their own NPC/storyline pockets in the game or hacking sites, and have other players participate (with rewards for both parties on successful completion, let’s say). Such an option might also provide an outlet for those players more interested in the lore of the game, make their engagement with the game more meaningful, and maybe even have them steer some of the storylines.
Another thing that was hoped for was a way to test out potential new members for a corporation. I have no idea how that’s going, but I’m guessing not well? I didn’t understand why that was even needed. An invitation to a corp in EVE is not dependent on anything anybody can do through freelance jobs right now, so what’s the point in checking the ability of a player to haul cargo 10j once when you can just check their skills is beyond me.