How can CCP increase node performance?

That’s easily mitigated by checking if the ship is still alive before applying damage once it gets to that part.

Which costs more processor time than simply running them in series in a single thread.
The server is not doing super complex calculations for each shot, it’s just doing a lot of little ones in a big fight.
It actually slows the server down to multithread that type of calculation.

2 Likes

You mean stopping all the processes on all the threads to wait for a result so it knows the input for the next calculation? You’ve just described single thread processing. Except far worse.

2 Likes

Not at all, adding 1 check to a thread for 1 object doesn’t halt everything else in the system, and it’s such low overhead it doesn’t halt it at all. Considering it already checks that pretty much. Except right now basically 1 thread is doing all this stuff for everyone at all times. Which is why we need time dilation x 10. This would alleviate that. ■■■■■■■ armchair programmers… I actually have a degree in this.

I hope you saved some of your grant/loan for the tinfoil you are going to need for flame protection.

Oh noes! A degree!

You know most companies prefer Experience, right?

1 Like

I have a degree in Chemistry. This is a huge help as I make coffee for myself whilst I build/maintain databases…

1 Like

I have a doctorate in Informatics, especially simulation of complex models. That makes my coffee better than yours. :smiley:

Not a chance, you work off models, whereas I work from many experimental runs to determine the optimum process for producing my coffee. Basically you work from belief in your model, I work from practical application.

Ergo: My coffee is going to be better than yours.

I can simulate many different models at the same time !
I just can’t taste them all :frowning:

I also have external evidence as my wife tells me my coffee is ‘the best’.

Admittedly this is usually when she is too lazy to make it herself. However I simply nod, smile, and choose to believe her. Hopefully this also demonstrates my wisdom, which most certainly comes from experience as opposed to a degree.

1 Like

Yeah, woman experience is best experience :smile:

[nods and smiles]

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.