How to fit a Shield Booster?

I see these modules in a lot of shield tanked fits, particularly modules like the Pithum C-Type.
I want the shield boost they give, I just don’t seem to be able to utilize these modules as well as I’d like…

I’ve tried the PithC in all kinds of fits (Rattlesnake, Gila, DNI, RNI…), I’ve skilled up my cap and shield skills (4’s ), …but I just can’t seem to get it to work in a cap stable fit.

Am I being unrealistic about wanting a the fit to be cap stable, …or is this a module only for folks who have most of their skills in the 5’s?

I didn’t post a particular fit, …because NONE of my fits play well with a shield booster. I think there is a more basic problem either with my skills or my expectations of a what a fit should look like…

Thanks for sharing my salt.

3 Likes

Cap stability can be highly overrated. Cap life in minutes can be managed in many cases by cycling shield boosters or prop mods. Even just letting your cap recharge before entering an engagement.

Some things you can do to improve cap life or make management easier:
Gist modules instead of Pith
Cap batteries, Cap boosters, Cap rechargers
Rigs - Capacitor Control Circuit, Semiconductor Memory Cell, Core Defence Capacitor Safeguard
Implants like EO-60x or EM-80x

If you want specific help then post your fit

6 Likes

Having level 5 skills is definitely important since it allows you to get as much bonus stats first before adding stats from modules.

Some ships will be cap stable with Pith Shield Booster whereas other ships will need to use Gist to be cap stable. I use a 3rd party ship fitting program like Pyfa with my character skills imported and try out various modules to eventually get a cap stable fit.

I actually browse ship fits in Osmium first to get a basic idea and then use that as an initial starting base in Pyfa which I then refine with my character skills to get the best fit possible.

3 Likes

Pith Modules are very Cap hungrey, the reason people use tehm is they are much much cheaper than Gist modules. (A Gist XL used the same cap as a Pith L while repping more, costs 4X more though).

Some ships just cant really handle Pith mods while being cap stable. if you can mange your Cap and you dont need aperma tank its not a huge issue. Other ships like the tengu can easiely be cap stable with just a large battery.

4 Likes

So, a couple of general questions here.

First, are you sure you need cap stability? There are reasons to push for it, but there are also lots of reasons to not even try. Most of my PvE fits will run out in less than 10 minutes all out. Some last as low as 90 seconds or so. It all depends on what you need.

Second, are you fitting a Pithum C MSB, a Pith C LSB, or a Pith C XLSB? Because those all face rather different constraints. The Pithum should really be fine to get stable, certainly on a battleship. I’d be quite surprised if you couldn’t make it work on the Gila. The LSB is a bit more finnicky, but some cruisers and most BSs can make a decent go of perma running. Forget the XL; that’s not going to be stable.

Third, what are you doing to help your cap? As above, a large cap battery should go a long way.

4 Likes

Cap stable fits can be tricky to set up, to really help you we need to see at least one of your fits.

We also need to know what you are going to use the ship for and whether you prefer to be in close and brawl or a sniping fit that works from range.

Size of the booster is critical as well as the type. It is often possible to make a BS cap stable with a LSB but not with a XLSB. I have seen many cap stable mission fit BS that run a MSB instead of the LSB or XLSB.

Another concept to learn is a something in my corp we refer to as functional cap stability. For this the fit is not truly cap stable, however it has enough cap to last most of the way through a typical mission, when you combine that with pulse tanking see below the ship becomes functionally stable and that is really all you need.

It is possible to run missions even level 4’s with a ship that has as little as 2 minutes cap as long as it is stable with your booster turned off using a method know as pulse tanking. Turn booster on to rep damage, then turn it off and allow your cap to re-charge.

[Rattlesnake, Tech 2]

Cruise Missile Launcher II_2, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
Large Remote Armor Repairer II

Shield Recharger II_2
Shield Recharger II_2
Shield Recharger II_2
Large Shield Extender II_2
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II_2
EM Ward Field II_2
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II_2

Drone Damage Amplifier II_2
Shield Power Relay II_2
Shield Power Relay II_2
Shield Power Relay II_2

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I_2
Large Core Defense Field Purger II_2
Large Core Defense Field Purger II_2

Drones to suit your needs / wants / desires

This is just one idea of how to make a Rattlesnake cap stable.
For the T2 mods there are some skills that would need to be trained to level 5 to be able to fit & fly.
All other skills that affect this fit were set to level 4.
Brawler fit because we like to fly it that way because it is different than most and it is fun.
Passive tank so the only tank mods to turn on / off are the resistance mods.
20 minutes tank with everything running but the remote rep.
Once some of the incoming DPS has been killed off turning off one resist mod makes this cap stable without the remote rep.
Remote rep is only used as needed, generally between pockets and sometimes between groups within a pocket to repair damaged drones.
With all applicable skills trained to level 5 and the remote rep turned off this is also cap stable.

2 Likes

last page has them sorted by efficiency, in hp/GJ.
as you can notice M and S are the most efficient. The gain in cap stability can be used to add invuls and shield boost amp, instead of the cap modules you would need with bigger boosters - and shield boosting speed rigs instead of cap rigs.

1. one invulnerability field increases you ehp/s and your booster efficiency by 100/(100-30 ) = 42%. also increases your ehps but consumes cap.
  2. a shield boost amp II increases both by 36%
  3. a 2nd invul by 100/(100-30*0.87)= 35%. It also increases your ehp but consumes cap, so a shield boost amp is more interesting
  4. a 2nd shield boost amp increases efficiency and output by 32%
  5. each operationnal solidifier rig II increases your ehp/s by 25%
  6. a 3rd invul gives you 20% more ehp/s and efficiency at the cost of cap.
  7. a DC gives you 14% more ehp, cap efficiency, and ehp/s
2 Likes

This is my standard rattlesnake fit. it doesn’t have to be cap stable, it does so much dps the booster is mostly just there to extend the buffer, and rep it up at the end of waves. It’s not even stable with all 5s, it’s pretty close though. Pretty sure you can throw on pretty much any cap mod and make it stable if that’s what you really want.

Raven navy issue can pretty much do the same thing, just lose the drone stuff and add more missiles. on cruiser sized ships you will probably need a few cap mods to get it stable. t3cs it’s pretty easy to do.

[Rattlesnake, pithum c-type]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Ballistic Control System II

Pithum C-Type Medium Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Micro Jump Drive
Republic Fleet Target Painter
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Control Range Augmentor II
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Garde II x2
Gecko x1
’Augmented’ Ogre x2
Warden II x2

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.