How to speed up Raven flightspeed?

I just got a raven and was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to speed up the flight speed. I’m finding it very slow compared to my caracal. Just trying to get in optimal range of targets seems to be a pain. I am using 10MN Afterburner II. Are there special skills that make the ship faster?

Battleships are generally slow, also you need 100MN afterburners for battleships, 10s are for cruisers.

4 Likes

“Navigation” can increase your sub-warp speeds with all ships.
“Acceleration Control” can increase the bonus to speed you get from the Afterburner. (100MN size, as Sara suggested.)

You might consider training for and fitting a Micro Jump Drive that will jump you 100 km in the direction you are facing, if distances are very long.

A Micro Warp Drive could also increase your speed, but would come with a signature penalty that would likely increase the damage you have to tank. The proper size for a battleship MWD is 500MN.

2 Likes

thanks whats the best 100MN I can get?

They are all similar.

I prefer using the “Compact” versions of the afterburners since they use less fitting points (CPU/PG) to fit, so you have more room to fit other things.

If you are using it for missions, I used to use something similar to this fit below

[Raven, *Yulite Mk. I - LVL 4 PVE]
Ballistic Control System II
Co-Processor II

Phased Scoped Target Painter
EM Ward Field II
EM Ward Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Pith C-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Heavy Capacitor Booster II
Large Micro Jump Drive

Cruise Missile Launcher II

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Hammerhead II x5
Hornet II x5

Cap Booster 800 x6
Scourge Fury Cruise Missile x1800

1 Like

500 MN Micro Warp Drive + Micro Jump Drive. Love this combo. Yup, it’s a double prop mod fit, and works great.

1 Like

The first part of this quote should be emphasized.

Battleships will need to be fitted differently and use different tactics due to their inherent strengths and weaknesses (much in the same way Cruisers should be handled differently compared to Frigates).

To put it another way; You should probably abandon any hope of making your Raven fly in a manner similar to your Caracal. While both more or less use the same weapon systems (missiles) the Raven is MUCH slower (both in speed and in targeting), potentially hits harder, and tanks MUCH more.

My recommendation?

Fit for tank and damage.
Equip your Raven with Cruise Missiles (long range Battleship missiles), a Target Painter, large/XL shield tank, and drones.

• Cruise Missiles are good for hitting anything Destroyer-sized and up. And they have stupid high range too (easily 90+ km).
  • A Target Painter effectively increases a target’s “sensor footprint.” This makes it easier to hit and will make more damage from your weapons apply.
  • Shield Tanks are power hungry, but fast. Watch your capacitor power and don’t leave it on all the time. “Pulse” it when you need to.
  • Send the drones after anything Destroyer and Frigate sized. Keep an eye on them though because they are your point defense. If they die, you may find yourself warp scrambled by a Frigate you can’t kill with your large missiles.

If you need to get a mission specific item… fitting a tractor beam can help pull items that are 20km away to you.

Alternatively, carry a Mobile Tractor Unit and deploy it before you engage the NPCs. Then just sit, tank, and apply damage.
NPCs will ignore the structure and you can pick through the loot that it drags to it.

Also… with regards to Francis Raven’s fit:

Don’t take it too literally. Look at it as more of a “guideline” or “goal.”
The Pith C-Type Shield Booster is expensive and probably outside of what you would consider “reasonable.”
You can easily swap it out for a Tech 2 XL Shield booster or something similar.

The same can be said for all the other mods too; if you can’t fit it, see if you can use something similar.

1 Like

thanks for all the tips really appreciate it. I ended up getting what was sudgested and a Large micro jump drive, trying to figure out if there is a trick to positioning to access the acceleration gates faster instead of slowly trollign to them

Autopilot will drop you out of warp at 15 km from each gate. Do not use the autopilot to actually fly. You can use the map to set a destination, and this will mark all the gates on your way yellow, as well as pre-select them in the Overview. But instead of activating the autopilot, just manually press the “warp to 0” button for each gate. That way you’ll drop out of warp directly on top of each gate, and won’t need to “slow troll.”

Another option is to “travel fit”, but this is usually done with frigates, because it only makes sense to min/max a ship’s agility and speed if it already has decent agility and speed. The gist of it is that you transport your combat modules in your cargo, and for travel you fit speed, agility, and safety modules (nanofibers, warp core stabilizers, etc.). Then you re-fit your ship for combat at a station at your destination.

Battleships are extremely slow, and also with their big guns they can’t hit frigates worth crap. That’s why they all have drone bays, as a modicum of defense vs. frigates. If you want cruiser-level mobility and agility, but with battleship firepower and defenses, you need to train for (Tech2) Heavy Assault Cruisers (HACs).

EDIT: Sorry, reading comprehension is lacking on my part this morning. You are talking about acceleration gates in mission areas.

Trick is to jump 100km upwards or downwards, and then jump 100km back (aimed at the gate). The MJD is a sniping tool that takes advantage of the long weapon ranges that battleships can achieve. You arrive at the mission, you jump 100km away, and then shoot all the NPCs that are trying to chase you, frigates first (because as they chase you they turn on their MWD and are easier to hit; if they get close you won’t be able to hit them all that well). Then when the NPCs get near, you jump back the other way 100km and repeat as they turn around to chase you again.

1 Like

Don’t be a “loot pinata”. Don’t put expensive modules on your ship at least yet. Stay with regular Tech I versions of modules, maybe a few T2. Avoid the faction, deadspace, and officer versions of modules for now. Yes, they are more effective, but much, much more expensive. Don’t be one of these guys (article is four years old. Things have changed some in eve, but the general warning still applies.):

Yep, my first Battleship was lost to NPC Incursion rats because I was used to Cruiser/Battlecruiser agility and had no idea how strong incursion rats are.
Aligning took ages while i was pounded with hits in structure, so when I finally was about to warp, that elephant went boom instead of swoosh. I think it’s quite hard to find proper NPC training spaces in highsec for battleships, missions must be at least Lvl3, but don’t have to be too hard for these vessels are quite vulnerable. The lesson I’ve learned: Don’t rely on the huge tank they may have, their signature is huge and speed is not your friend.

i am sorry but i want ask you this question since i read your post
do you really need a battleship for whatever you do or would a cruiser or battlecruister work too?
i saw your killboard https://zkillboard.com/character/2112607660/ and i think that a T2 battleship in LS should only be used if you are alone there or friends/corp/alliance backup you when running sites or missions … you are a very easy and of corse very nice target … looks good on a killboard if you have the kill and not the loss

other thing is i saw that you joined a corp and left it https://evewho.com/pilot/Zavaray+Zorbik
is there any reason you dont want to join a corp again?
i learned really good stuff and got fittings and fittings tips in the corp where i am in so usually a corp helps you
i dont want to talk you in something in … i am sure there are many good corps out in new eden

anyways

hope you find all answers you are looking for and fly safe

JuuR

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.