How to fit a raven

Might as well use this as the first post so we don’t have to answer it every day for the next 10 years

Here is a standard raven fit for running level 4 missions vs guristas. Can easily swap the hardeners to fight other npcs

And we even have two utility slots. I suggest a signal amplifier in the low, other options involve a Missile guidance enhancer, Drone damage amp, Damage control, or co-processor. And a 100mn Afterburner in the mid, could also use a sensor booster, another target painter, missile guidance computer, micro warp drive, or a micro jump drive.

[Raven, Le Liang]
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
[empty low slot]

Pith C-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800
Republic Fleet Target Painter
[empty med slot]

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Mjolnir Fury Cruise Missile
Small Tractor Beam II

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5

6 Likes

My Raven was equipped with the following:

HIGH
06 x Cruise Missile Launcher I
01 x SMALL TRACTOR BEAM 1
01 x SALVAGER I

MEDIUM
04 x LARGE SHIELD EXTENDERS
01 x ‘HYPHNOS’ ECM
01 x MEDIUM SHIELD BOOSTER

LOW
01 x EMERGENCY DAMAGE CONTROL
01 x ARMOR KINETIC HARDENER I
01 x ARMOR THREMIC HARDENER I
02 x WARP CORE STABILIZER I

DRONES
02 x WARRIOR I DRONES
03 x HAMMERHEAD I DRONES

UPGRADES
01 x ROCKET FUEL CACHE PARTINTION I
01 x BAY LOADING ACCELERATOR I

27 Likes

Source for people who haven’t heard of this meme.

7 Likes

how much of a difference is Meta 4 vs T2 Launchers if i’m using faction ammo.

Cruise missile spec gives a 2% rate of fire bonus to T2 launchers, typically most will have that at level 4, so an 8% rof difference (10% at lv5). It’s not too big a difference using faction ammo and meta 4 launchers. The ability to use Fury ammo is the big bonus for t2 launchers. Fury is great for shooting BS/BC rats and structures. Typically worth carrying some faction or precision ammo to deal with smaller ships.

1 Like

Came to this forum just to check for this. Thank you, you’ve done well. o7

4 Likes

IMHO that’s way too many ballistic control systems. You get diminishing returns for them. I’d put some drone damage amplification (something like that) module instead, a power diagnostic system and a cargo optimizer (you need cargo space to store amno and loot). Also a module for missile precision (forgot the name).

Basically I NEVER put several modules that have diminishing returns. There has to be a better use of the slot.

1 Like

I almost posted that [quote=“Keneda_Mayaki, post:7, topic:4357”]
Basically I NEVER put several modules that have diminishing returns. There has to be a better use of the slot.
[/quote]

The 4th mod is a ~5% boost, honestly not really anything all that better to put there.

PDS, doesn’t do a thing for a raven
expanded cargo, no thanks. has the cargo hold for 15 cap boosters and plenty of ammo.

DDA sure, but I’d consider using the 5th low for that. Raven drones aren’t all that important, only really need to use them to clean up some frigs.

2 Likes

The only other item for that slot I would consider would be a damage control until you are really comfortable with all L4 missions.

2 Likes

I’m reluctant to use non-Caldari modules. I mean, the Raven is a caldari ship. Shouldn’t it be optimized for caldari modules?

There is no racial bonus of that type republic target painter will work the same on a minmatar as well as caldari ships.

Only way you can get more out of it is by fitting it on a ship that have bonus to target painting like Golem or Huginn and the like.

2 Likes

The T2 ammo is way cheaper, and will save you a few million ISK on every mission.
Performance is nearly the same.
Get to T2 ammo and sell the faction stuff asap.

There is no caldari module that could also work in that spot and fill the same roll. Even if there were say a caldari missile guidance computer, it would get hit by stacking penalties on the rigs. so it may or may not be better than a target painter, would have to do the math on it.

Also there are no bonuses to using whatever faction gear, for example Caldari navy hardeners are the same as dread gurista’s it doesn’t matter if it is a raven or rattlesnake. Pretty much all CN and DG gear is interchangeable. [quote=“Ket_Viliano, post:12, topic:4357”]
The T2 ammo is way cheaper, and will save you a few million ISK on every mission.
Performance is nearly the same.
Get to T2 ammo and sell the faction stuff asap.
[/quote]

and yes t2 ammo is nice and cheap, but might be worth it to hold on to some faction ammo for shooting elite cruiser npcs, not sure how it compares to precision. Precision might be better or about the same.

@Chainsaw_Plankton: Switching ammo takes too much time. Cruiser NPCs have terrible sig radius anyway, elite or not, they tend to pop when hit with fury cruise missiles. Elites might take 2-3 salvos, tops.

Mind you I am using 2x application rigs (one Flare, one Rigor, both t2), have maxed missile support skills, and fly with twin t2 guidance comps scripted for application, and a guidance enhancer in the lows. This is in a Navy Raven ofc, which has an application bonus. Yes, I use implants, GP-803 and TN-903.

I cannot overstate the importance of application.

While I am posting, I should also mention the importance of engagement range. You should be engaging and killing everything but frigs/dessies beyond 30km range, using drones for the small stuff. Moreover, I use a Hydraulic Bay Thrusters rig to get more range before the guns cycle. This is important, to get the missile salvo to land before the guns cycle again. Multiply missile velocity by the cycle time of your launchers to find your maximum effective engagement range. You want the guns to stop cycling if the target is dead, and not be wasting time and ammo shooting empty space. I get about 50km with no rig, 70km with it.

I also fly my RNI like a big slow frigate, ab on all the time, flying perpendicular to the targets, so as to maximize transversal. This plus the range minimizes incoming damage. I carry a Gistum C medium booster to top off the shield if needed.

I think that covers most everything I have to say about mission fits for Raven / RNI. I fly the RNI as my only L4 mission boat, and have done this long enuff to get seriously bored with it. Anyone curious should feel free to ask any questions they may have, evemail me in game if this thread gets old. I know this boat well and I did just think of a few more mission specific tricks I use, but this post is turning into a small novel so, … good night, good luck, and fly safe.

o7

1 Like

Speaking of which, we really do need dem faction missile guidance computers and missile guidance enhancers. The modules have been out for some time now, I do hope the faction ones will be unveiled sooner than later.

You should try some non-missile missioning if you’re bored. Machariels or the gunboat marauders are especially fun (Kronos, Paladin, Vargur).

I started off with Domis and Rattlesnakes but have tried a ton of different boats for L4s (Ishtars, Nestors, Paladins, Kronoses, Machariels, RNIs, assault frigate fleets).

I agree most of the time however if you need to reload anyways to finish off a room, or are going into a room that has a bunch of cruisers it can make sense to reload as it will take more than 10s to use the gate and warp in.

A 4th BCU is like having a 5%-6% implant. I run 4 on my Golem.

-Kirst

I will agree about the use of precision ammo against a larger number of cruiser or smaller vessels, just not faction ammo. Faction ammo is too costly, and provides too little benefit once you are skilled enough to use T2 guns and ammo.

Which ammo to use really depends on the ratio of BS to cruisers, and just how many other small ships there are. Elite cruisers usually show up in packs, and they are annoying, especially if there are also a lot of BS about. I may as well preach it: Application is everything. Precision ammo has great application, even more so if your missile skills are not yet maxed out. Precision ammo helped me a lot while running a Bloodraiders “The Blockade” just the other day.

I will acknowledge that I am cranky about reload times. :slight_smile: You can do the math on reloads pretty easy: 27 salvos, 10 secs to reload, 8 or so secs per salvo, and how many cruisers, especially elite cruisers, and other small ships need to die fast, and how many hits needed to kill each. The reloading is really no big deal, and I should not complain about it as much as I do.

With max skills and implants Faction does ~5k volley and precision is around 4.3k, precision has better application, but for some targets that wont matter and faction will have more damage overall, of course with missiles volleys to kill is the important part. Also I believe faction ammo is cheap enough that the cost shouldn’t be a factor. I admit I haven’t done the math, to know where precision or faction is better.

My RNI is giving me 7861 alpha for Fury Cruise, 5615 for Precision Cruse, and 6453 for the Faction Caldari, all measurements take in the fitting window with Inferno ammo. Eve-Central reports Faction ammo at 3x the cost of T2 ammo.

I fly it, at least one L4 mission on most days when I log in. I started with a Raven w/ Meta 4s and Faction ammo, and Upgraded to the RNI with T2 guns and ammo. After numerous experiments, I found the Faction ammo to be sandbagging my ISK returns. I still have some, but I don’t use it or buy it anymore.

Fury for NPC BC and BS, Precision for Cruisers and smaller, works rather well. For a player new to missiles, Faction is great and much better than the regular stuff.