I just got Ganked - why?

Racket/Extortion
and this is why they contacted you afterwards in the implicitly uncourteous manner you describe.

@taurwen_Ichinumi there are modules which allow an attacker to lock you as a target without you seeing they are locking you. This is why the destruction might have felt so sudden and unexplainable to you

1 Like

Hi,
I have so much to take in from all the above comments, especially your comment Khlaa_Xu - NOW I understand why it felt so sudden - yes you are correct.
But chin up and all that, I have enough to learn from you all and now my biggest challenge is finding the best replacement for my bestower.
Sigil or Prorator…decisions decisions. and that’s the easy part lol…
learning to fit it correctly is the next one. so a challenging start to my eve new year… but one I am looking forward to.

your are all so friendly and encouraging - thank you :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I would do Sigil first.
“The golden Beetle” is a decent ship in it’s own right, but certainly a lot cheaper to make any mistakes in while you learn about hauler flying. The MWD/cloak “trick” is a fundamental that is so useful it is a “must-know”, really.
The Prorator is a great little boat. It’s main feature is to be able to use a covert ops cloak and be able to warp cloaked. That is highly useful.

In my opinion you should keep your gnosis. You can do security missions with it if you want. Level one and two missions are probably going to be fairly smooth with it. As a Battlecruiser, it should be able to do level three missions as well. Level four missions You will want a Battleship for.

2 Likes

OP: Have you ever considered using a Magnate? If the cargo is only some ammo and modules…
A Magnate has a nice cargo hold and is a frigate, thus quite quick and agile. Next step is a Sunesis, a fast aligning destroyer.

Agility is another key: Fit some Nanofibre Internal Structures and Inertial Stabilizers in Low slots, and your ship will reach warp speed much faster, so the gankers have less time (but being killed is still possible, of course).
But don’t worry, from time to time, all of us travelling through highsec lose ships. They alphaed (=killed in one shot) my PI Epithal the other day at the Perimeter gate, that was a quick shock at 2am…

1 Like

The most important things you need to take from all this are the following:

Make docking and undocking bookmarks, you don’t want to be caught clowning on a station like everyone else. Watch a few guides, make those bookmarks, test them and then use them EVERY TIME.

Use cloak/MWD trick, this means using the T2 improved cloak and the right size MWD (50MN), don’t downgrade from that, ignore people who tell you that you can. That MWD generally can’t fit on the larger haulers like the Bestower, only on the smaller ones like the Sigil. The big haulers can move more but are sluggish undertanked loot pinatas.

Jump in system, align, cloak, MWD, wait for MWD cycle to end, uncloak, warp. In that EXACT order and again: ignore anyone telling you otherwise. Practise this till you have the timing down and you can do it in your sleep, it needs to be muscle memory pretty much.

If you put real effort into these two things and do them properly, you remove 99% of the risk involved in high sec hauling and travel in general.

2 Likes

the most important thing for me is that you seem to try to learn from your mistakes, and not whining. You have the good behaviour.
Fly safe or unsafe, but have fun!

2 Likes
  1. you weren’t cloaked.
  2. your ship moves as fast as a beached whale and turns like one too.
  3. thats an ‘instalock’ tornado designed to kill slow/afk and unprotected haulers.
  4. with over 1 bil in cargo its easy to replace their ship several times… piracy…i really shouldnt have to explain more…
  5. learn mwd/cloak trick and stay away from certain lanes, tank your hauler.
  6. for high end goods that dont need much m3 to carry use a smaller faster to align ship and dont afk autopilot…
1 Like

Yeah I agree , but sad some people here Bea jerk to him like if he was complaining…(( Not you))

1 Like

Hi @Pierre_de_Bricassart I did decide to go magnate although not sure if its the best for picking up my planetary cargo… however having said that I can use it for small cargo runs, and apparently some missions. I do have a question if you don’t mind. if its not the correct way proceed do let me know.
All the magnate fits I found are for exploration, not for hauling.
I have this so far in my simulation:

Low: damage control I
expand cargo hold II x1
mid: 1MN afterburner
mutispectrum shield hardener.
Rigs: none yet but I was wondering since this is not for exploration - just for hauling, would it make sense to put shield reinforcer rigs. 1 x thermal II, 1 x kinetic II and 1 x explosive II.

high:i improved cloaking dev II

as I said all fits I found were for exploration so I am trying to figure it out by simulating fits to see what works .
I am also busy training my skills to level 5 for armor hull cloak , navigation capacitor etc. had most of them at two and three so not far to go.
If I am out of line asking do please tell me, but you know if you never ask - you never learn.
many many thanks in advance.
Taurwen.

You forgot to double wrap your cargo. 1 veldspar unit would be enough for next time. They cant see thru wrap until such cargo drops and they open it. You should try it now, you probably are on their list of easily gankable targets that are profitable, so it can work.

If you put your goods in a secure container, and then make a courier contract with that container, then the items in the container will be “double wrapped”, and protected from cargo scans.

You should see the ganker tears flowing when they realize what they got for destroying your cheap insured ship, for a cost of tornado.

2 Likes

@taurwen_Ichinumi - That’s because the Magnate gets bonus’ for exploration stuff:

Planetary interaction (PI) in hisec use a Sigil and the cloak/microwarpdrive trick.

In lowsec and wormholes use a Prorator blockade runner with covert ops cloak.

In 0.0 space (nullsec) use a Prorator with covops cloak and fly to avoid bubbles - i.e. don’t warp directly gate-to-gate (a drag-bubble will trap you eventually if you do and possibly you get sploded) but rather warp to a celestial first, use f11 system map to see if there’s an angle to warp to the outgate that a bubbler might not expect or otherwise be able to cover.

o7

1 Like

i should get an alt to do that just for the lolz lol.

1 Like

It is done sporadically just like that. :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm, I am a fan of speed/agility tanking, which means to get away before they lock, and scram or just shoot your vessel. Damage Control and Shield rigs don’t have much impact, because additional 50% to virtually nothing still is not much :wink:
Simulate the ship and try an Inertial Stabilizer in Low and Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints in Rigs, and look how the alignment time improves (reduces). If it’s around 3 seconds, no Tornado will get you without the support of special locking ships.
The cloaking device is interesting when exploring, but for highsec travels it doesn’t help much.

1 Like

For hisec hauling and exploration and within reason for lowsec hauling that does not require too much cargo space you can use this as well:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.