[IDEA] Name Change Certificate

simple solution…just put under the players character sheet or something…formerly known as, that way if someone who is a turd changes their name in-order to hide they really can’t
assuming that’s why no name change is a policy in the first place.

1 Like

Still doesn’t solve having to remember 50 names for that guy in local.
Takes it from split second recognition to having to dig through a list for it.
And the guys who trash their reputation will bury it in a whole raft of changes.

4 Likes

You can always have limitations. Just like Atributes have Remap but limited to 1 per year or up to a total of 3 if you didnt use up your yearly Remap. Or remotely changing ur Home system to one of ur corps Offices.

Just like that changing ur name could be restricted to once per year. Remembering that Tom is called Bob for at least the next year is not so mind blowing. With the addition of name history in the character sheet.

While Tom could create Bob in 30 minutes as of now and you will never find out Bob is actually Tom.
So you can say whatever you want. It should be allowed to change ur name. Especially since this game is going for 15 years now. And yes some of us made their characters when they were 16 or so. And Pussydestroyer69XXXHunter32 might not be their desired dream names now.

Also. While there are some iconic figures out there whos name will never be forgotten by the eve community. I highly doubt that Pussydestroyer69XXXHunter32 is one of them therefor why should not he be able to CHOOSE to change his name. And while this is true. It might also be true that Chribba wanted to be Pussydestroyer69XXXHunter31 but accidentaly named himself Chribba.

The point is. This would be entirely optional. Not abusable(Name History,Once per year change). So thoose who are agains it actually just have nothing better to do than be agains a good idea on the forum of EVE Online. Or they are simply so bad they cant remember that Tom is now Bob yet he meets him regurarly.

5 Likes

I like this idea

2 Likes

I’m 110% +1 on this.

• The idea that people have to deal with the consequences of their behavior is obsolete and has been for many years.
  • A name change is not the same as a history wipe, all the history would remain
  • If you are using contacts to properly “mark” people you have issue with then that shows up in local right away
  • Anyone can reroll by using a few skill injectors
  • Most the bears that want to remember names are going to quit soon anyway.
  • All these objections do is take away a bit of income every single game has
5 Likes

Its not the bears who want the names remembered, its the serious players of the game who have reputations and communicate with other players.

With diminishing returns which is a net gain for the overall markets so thats still better than an out right name change.

You can trade a char for any other char, if you are savvy you can even trade up.

Now that name you have been stalking or hiding from for years is being played by some new player.

Like I said the whole concept is obsolete.

1 Like

Just a gentle bump since i’ve seen multiple other posts about this subject since my last post.

I’ve added a condition based on Character SP and Age (up to CCP to decide).

I’ve also redone calculation just to have a laugh alone.
If i wanted to re-create my character, strip all my SP and re-inject them, i would need a total 150b, or 34k PLEX, or 1.2k €.

I am sure, that a lot of people want to change their names, but the very bit of them would cross the line and spend ISK to re-create a whole character, or spend RL money.

It’s a new source of income for CCP if a Pilot’s Service Name Change Certificate gets created.

3 Likes

Is it a new source? I guess technically, but would you rather sell a 25€ name change certificate, or 1.2k € in injectors?

I think the business case for the name change certificate is pretty weak at this point and I see it having a hard time getting approval from the monetization bean counters.

You must be very rich RL, if you can’t even concider that most of players would rather spend 25€ than 1.2k€…

I mean, taxing poors have always been better than taxing rich people : they are way numerous.

2 Likes

Competing against your own product and eroding your own, and more profitable, market share, is something most companies are reluctant to do.

That, plus the development costs for a relatively niche feature, make me think this is unlikely to ever happen now, but maybe I guess. My main point though is that it is the accountants you are going to need to convince, not the game designers or coders.

You and I don’t have datas to strengthen our arguments.
You and I do not know how many players would cross the line and spend 1.2k€ and how many players would not.

I’m pretty sure, certain actually, that ‘accountants’ are smart enough to create barriers so that the wealthiest among us would rather spend RL money even if a Certificate gets created. :smiley:

The same ones that would make a wealthier player spend RL money, where another would spend time farming ISK.

For instance, an SP condition (like 50m SP minimum to be able to use a NCC), could even make people spend money, or ISK to reach that minimum so that they can use an NCC.
It’s one amongst several other exemples i could find.

Another one would be to introduce the NCC in Character Bazaar as an almost required item, by facts.
More Characters would be exchanged cause its name wouldn’t be a part of a buyer’s choices anymore : he has the possibility to change it after transaction is done.

(no, i’m not an accountant)

1 Like

Development costs? Are you Fing kidding me? To update a single field in the database? I’ve been a software engineer for 30 years, and this is TRIVIAL.

Niche feature, I doubt that, I have 3 toons I would like to rename, not to hide their history, just because the names are dumb.

4 Likes

As stated in many other threads, pixel fear is not a code issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really, with a name like Omnathious Deninard I would think you would be all for name changes? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s not the database rename that has significant costs - that even already exists as GMs rename policy-breaking characters all the time and GMs could just do that for cash. It is developing the new UI and other systems to monitor and display the past names of the characters to the other players. It isn’t a massive cost I’ll grant, but it isn’t nothing and given it could cannibalize skill extractor sales, I still don’t think it is something we will see anytime soon.

1 Like

My only recommendation to this would be to only have it available within the first to two months from the characters birth.

I agree with name change, know that building up trust in EVE but also maybe should remember you old ploits name to pervent awoxer try join back into the corp.

Allow renaming but make the old name visible in some way maybe like the history of the corps you joined.

2 Likes

Eve is about your choices having consequences. It kind of under minds that when your very first one well… doesn’t