Immortality

Why would you say that your soul isn’t worth fixing?

You never striked me as the self-deprecating type.

Souls, I believe, defy any large scale qualification, as each plays it’s own unique melody, and is just one thread in the tapestry of our universe.

Though, they are also deeply, and imperceptibly woven in with the next. When we act, the ripple of our soul spreads outward, and the pattern of the tapestry is changed forever.

Just as the stories and spirits of our ancestors are still alive in us, our consciousness presses on through the continuous death and rebirth of the very cells that make up, and sustain our bodies.

So, I see my soul as not just this body, but as a continuation of the souls of those who came before, surviving through the influence of their words and actions.

As capsuleers, we may still be human, but we are more than just one human. We are the embodied thoughts and values that pass from one generation to the next, stewards of our age.

The Empyprian Age is still young, and we have still yet to see the world to which we were born, pass slowly into the dark obscurity of time.

Whether Capsuleer tech survives into such a future, that future will still come, and regardless of what happens, it will rest upon the foundations that we have left for it.

I didn’t say it wasn’t worth it. Just that I doubt anyone would want to.

Having once had CODE. on your ticker makes you damaged goods, apparently…

Nonsense.

I mean, it’s going to maybe cause questions but it’s not like having Guiding Hand Social Club or something?

I want to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question, I learned a lot of things.
It is still very interesting to hear the various views of capsuleers from all the quarters of the galaxy. Many of you seem very wise, in fact, and still carry the wisdom of your respective cultures.

I start to think I had the wrong angle, somewhat blinded, and that I maybe need to ground me more in the human side of things, despite my difficulties for doing so.

See the shitty part is it doesnt matter, run with certain people will leave a stain on you, thing is it isnt about who you are now, I’d deal with you, shake hands or grab a drink, but I’d have my finger on the trigger the whole time.

CODE.'s are fanatics just as bad as Amarrians, Immortal or not you have to kill every last one.

Human. Only that.

We are meat, and beyond the meat… who knows? Maybe nothing. Maybe there is only the meat. I’ve never seen persuasive evidence of anything beyond the meat, so I don’t believe in it. I also don’t disbelieve. I simply take the position of ‘don’t know, and no reason to care’. Would I like to think there’s something beyond death? Maaaaybe? Maybe not. I mean, at some point you probably just start to think ‘ok, I’d like to be done now’ and the idea of an eternity… any eternity… that sounds like a lot of time to get bored in once you’ve seen and done it all.

But as for the ‘death after death’ part… you can stop worrying about that. You’ll only die once. When you die, the state of your brain at a single picosecond will be scanned. But that’s not you.

You, like all human beings, experience time in an analog smear of 008-0.1 seconds. Any given moment, that’s what your brain has evolved to produce: a stitched-together interpretation of data across a smear of time. The smear changes and develops, flows and ebbs, as your meat moves through time into a different window of 80-100 nanoseconds. But it’s always analog. And ‘you’ is always that analog experience over a smear of time.

The burn-scanner in your pod produces a single pico-second image of your brain state, stopped and quantized, digitized for transmission, like a digital recording of a musical performance. And like that digital reproduction, a reproduction of your brain in that picosecond can be built on the other side. A brain made of generic biomass is flash-grown to match the neural patterns and pathways on that scan, and the electrochemical states are matched up.

But, like that digital recording of a performance, it’s not the original. It never will be. It’s a copy, and the copy has its own existence, derived from, but independent of the destroyed original. We are copies of copies of copies. We’re cheap, disposable people, and when we die, we’re instantly replaced by someone else who remembers what we did, and our friends, our loved ones… never mourn us. The new person just steps into our life, making things much easier for everyone we knew, but we… remain dead.

We’re not immortals, and we’re not ghosts. We’re tissues.

But human tissues, while we last.

It’s hardly incomprehensible. It records your brain-state, just like a series of medical scanners would. Only it does it faster.

Except that ‘conclusion’ was problematic in and of itself. As many of the Amarr capsuleers on these boards noted at the time, the decision came at a moment when the then-new ‘Alpha Clone’ programs of all four empires were spinning up. Amarr needed more capsuleers, and there was resistance to doing so because of the ‘do capsuleers have souls?’ question.

So, just at the moment when the Empire needed a flood of new capsuleers, the Theology Council chimes in with ‘it’s ok, you’ll still have your soul!’? Damned convenient, that. And it pretty handily undermines the legitimacy of the TC, too, if they’re making theological decisions based on what technology the other nations of New Eden are deploying, rather than on demonstrable theological properties.

But then, the whole question starts from the flawed foundation of assuming, without any verifiable basis to work from, that baseliners have ‘souls’, doesn’t it? When you’re trying to declare Truth, you never get there by building on assumptions for which there’s no supporting evidence.

I would almost like this post, if it was not for the second sentence. I don’t like it when you talk about her with this certainty about what she would or would not do. As I told you, I think she changed quite a bit before… well, you know. I guess I better not speak on it more while I’m not sober.

Anyway, back to the topic…

I am the first and worst.

Che, what I have to go on is what she wrote and what she did. I do know she was pretty depressed by the end.

I don’t know who she is, now, if she still exists. But I do know who she was, and the part she played.

Do you know what makes a heresy, Che? It’s a distortion of religious doctrine that turns it from something positive and life-giving into something that corrupts, that twists lives.

My predecessor created a Path of life for what she insisted was a new species. She taught our fellow capsuleers that they were monsters, and should accept that, and be the best possible monsters. I’ll never know how many minds, how many lives she twisted with this doctrine, but I do know that some of her students are still active and behaving as she taught them to, to this day.

I know she had her reasons. I know she was your friend. But I don’t care, not enough. That was her, using our shared faith, building better monsters.

That was me. My heresy. I. Did. That.

Some little bit of repentance at the end doesn’t erase-- barely even begins to blur-- the stain she made of our existence, hers and mine. Neither regret nor forgetfulness erases what is done.

And I don’t forgive her. Or myself.

Ammarrians. :roll_eyes: :laughing:

1 Like

Ok. Explain how it does that.

Well in simple terms, the transneural burning scanner utilizes a combination of magnetic resonance imaging and emission tomography to quickly acquire a detailed scan of the brain down to the quantum level. In order to have a complete and accurate map of the brain and retain the all memories and personality, the scan must record the position of every atom.

This has to be done in a controlled environment to ensure a successful outcome, however neurological degradation is a still a small possibility.

I would, but I’m lazy and someone else did.

1 Like

@Kalodote_Lafisques where did you get your capsuleer training from? Skarkon?

1 Like

Bourynes VI.

All what you explained is the traditional one we have it but since there’s no official statement that Jovians used this technology, it’s possible they could used this, another one or a better version, as mentioned before. In any case, the Intergalactic definition shows a different way to scan a brain since the cloning technology is known enough: Cloning | EVE Universe (eveonline.com)
The problem is not the registration of the consciousness but its way to move all these information to another place, distant light years from the origin, in the void and in different dimensions (if you die into Abyssal space).

Well, maybe we shouldn’t focus too much on what cloning does to the soul, as there are probably agnostics and atheists on these forums who do not care about that spiritual concept.

Perhaps the question can be rephrased as follows: “Does the fact that we cheat death through recloning make us more evil, more aggressive?”

I believe it does. With only material loss to fear, the fear of retaliation which is one of the things that usually keeps aggression in check, is less strong. There is more impunity. And then a vicious circle starts: the second kill is easier on the conscience than the first.

These feelings that capsuleers get, that “they get shattered in a thousand pieces” or that they “are a copy of a copy of a copy”? I think those are the death throes of their conscience as the capsuleers slide further down the path of aggression.

So what?

They can ignore those posts.

2 Likes

Oh Ax’l, I like it when you go full Amarr on the atheists!

I guess what I was trying to say is that the corruption of the soul stems from evil or aggressive behavior rather than from recloning. But recloning does make it easier to go down the path of evil.