ISD Appreciation - On Behalf of the Community, Thank You!

This is so badly out of date and no longer in use… even uses the old Neocom… I’d like to think CCP now considers the notion of EVE being a sandbox as being inaccurate.

1 Like

Its still on the website. It’s still the latest version of the faq and there’s no shortage of us linking it on these forums. It can be taken down or changed at any time.

Is it ‘out of date’ cause you want it to be?

1 Like

Core and emergent are not mutually exclusive.

Excluding a news archive, which does not qualify as “being on the website”, where else is it posted as a live/current document?

Google: eve online faq.

Google: eve online new player faq

And it’s indicative of your position that you think i have to prove to you that the faq still applies rather than you have to prove why it doesn’t…

1 Like
1 Like

An emergent mechanic can have game design built around it though.

Jet can mining and the orca/miasmos come to mind. Ganking and freighters with fittings is another.

Emergent gameplay can become core gameplay.

Is not the definition of sandbox mate.

1 Like

Just in case you didn’t see it the first time I posted it:

Archival news articles do not count. Only live documents currently hosted and linked directly from the website (non-archival news) count. :roll_eyes:

Right and I asked you to google it.

Is this not a live link?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://web.ccpgamescdn.com/communityassets/pdf/EVE-Online-New-Pilot-FAQ.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj_8fiAyqzpAhXdTBUIHd6kDggQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1yjzxAOq9QD9kVJQp64c6l

And you still feel i need to prove it’s applicability rather than the other way round?

1 Like

So… a google link to an archival document is an official current document per CCP? Is that what you’re telling me? As opposed to a link from EVE’s homepage (not google) explicitly pointing to current documents (non-archival)? Really? Next you’re going to tell me that snapshots from Wayback Machine are current by virtue of their linkability and existence…

6 CAN I GET A FREE TRIAL ACCOUNT FOR EVE ONLINE?
You can try out EVE Online on a free 14 day trial. You can find more information
at the official EVE Online website here: www.eveonline.com

that makes this whole thing you posted irrelevant IMO… considering there is no more 2 week trial.

1 Like

Per @Jerry_Falcone’s observation (in conjunction with common sense), @Daichi_Yamato is going to need some :ice_cube: for that :fire:.

Google links are not official CCP links. Google links do not always indicate current/effective documents if they point to archival documents. I can’t believe I have to tell you that.

i could find more evidence how poorly outdated that is… god that thing is horrible compared to what eve is now.
Jan 14, 2014… yea Not relevant to now, even though it says they won’t keep it updated like the game, its way outdated for any arguments to be made valid.

1 Like

I strongly disagree.

Ccp fozzie has a post somewhere talking about finely balancing the eco system of ganking. I think he uses a ‘gazelle’ metaphor. But it demonstrates that ganking influences design decisions.

And there’s the CCP soloman quote:

‘The risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which eve was built.’

Well is there a something on the website that refutes it?

I mean there’s this from eveonline.com:

WHAT IS EVE ONLINE?

EVE Online is a community-driven spaceship MMO where players can play free, choosing their own path from countless options.

Experience space exploration, immense PvP and PvE battles and a thriving player economy in an ever-expanding sandbox.

Participate in many in-game professions and activities, including war, politics, piracy, trading, and exploration, across 7,000 star systems with hundreds of thousands of other players.

But nothing there discounts the element of eve’s pvp core. You seem to think it just stopped applying at some point but can’t say when, why or how?

Do you also think the 8 golden rules of eve don’t apply?

Not really.

One change doesn’t invalidate the entire design philosophy behind eve.

I’m sure you can find something more upto date then.

1 Like

Wow this topic derailed faster than… Wait I can’t finish that thought. Not language under 13 should see.

@ISD thanks for all the hard volunteer work.

1 Like

The fronts are forming! Dig in and take cover!

1 Like

That is old, and never was actually true in the first place…

Whilst EVE felt like a pvp paradise for quite a few years, still can do at times, it never truly was… the infrastructure and inherent safety of things like npc stations undermine that completely - the whole notion of industry, npcs and missions help undermine that still further - and the development of EVE, both by the player base, and the response to that over time by CCP marks EVE as an empire/trading game - more so today than at any time in the past…

1 Like

Can i use this line if something ccp releases doesn’t conform to my views?

Of course you can, but the evidence is there and always has been to support the view I just stated - just because you can quote a pvp reference, doesn’t make it intrinsically true, you do know that right?

1 Like