Issue of local-powered gate camps?

Yes really, because you claim what he said is ‘already known’, without addressing his new information how he manipulates his place in the 1000ms tick order by undocking repeatedly until he can catch instawarp ships.

I agree he took way more lines to explain this than necessary, but not all of it is old info from your linked infographic that I too read years ago.

1 Like

You would not be the first to do so & a quick google will show you that. Autopilot & web bots are a thing for those doing freighter contracts or people wishing to avoid the in game autopilot penality. The bot uses two accounts that’ll warp to zero on gate and web the freighter into warp.

There is not many activity in eve that have not been botted to hell and back & CCP is happy with that post blackout.

Blackout terrified CCP.

1 Like

I addressed his “discovery” few times already. And said that this instant locking trick is known for ages only once. Didn’t argued about it when people pointed out I’m wrong. You are so fixated on proving that my previous reply is wrong that you don’t even bother reading what I’m saying now. Same with constantly using this wrong term of queue in TQ server. You are not even bothered to read and understand what wrote person you defend so hard.

I don’t think “while you change session in middle of server tick, you get delay”. would be adequate.

From what I can tell, he’s saying you always have a delay, no matter what, because it doesn’t update everyone at the same part of the second. But he discovered that it’s assigned more or less at random and if you keep changing sessions you can eventually get assigned an early time.

It was long winded, but it’s only fair to let him gloat.

When your client first requests an update from the server, by either undocking or entering a system, it gets put on a one-second interval that is independent of the server tick. Observing the network traffic by two Eve clients kind of confirmed this. They get updated precisely once per second, but at different millisecond timestamps.

Depending on when during the server tick your client requested its first update, you either get new info early or late. This means that there can be a delay of up to one second between the server calculating a “tick” and your client actually receiving an update about what just happened.

There are a lot of misconceptions driving your post. We don’t need local chat. We can see the gate fire animation and hear the sound. Also we have eyes on the other side of the gate to know you’re there and what you’re in before you even decide to jump.

local isn’t a problem , the lack of consequences and risk for campers is .

gate guns no longer fire on players with criminal timers . . no more sitting out a 15 minute timer , which made players more selective in their targets .

gate gun damage hasn’t kept up with game changes . 350 omni dps isn’t what it used to be . getting pointed with gate aggro used to be a real danger .

there’d be more players trying out low-sec if the travel was safer and seemed less like a death-sentence . players getting blown up trying to run missions or explore will rarely try again anytime soon . sub 2 second warp and covert cloak ships are limited in their use . and while there’s no lack of targets and kills , it seems very little activity is taking place in low sec aside from that …

4 Likes

they fired someone?

1 Like

They “departed”, probably read about it in the inevitable Eve or MMO’s of the noughties book in a few years.

1 Like

Well firstly Nimos made a super interesting Reddit thread about instalocking, and maybe it was a bit wordy, but the queuing is definitely real. I’ve gate camped with Nimos for a few months, when there’s been both a handful of ships on gate and 30+. He’s been able to out-instalock instalocking stilettos due to the queuing, and with a similar ping to the London servers and it’s not because he clicks faster or has a script.

To the original point of the post … unfortunately that’s Eve!

• You shouldn’t take away the gate animations.
• You ‘could’ delay Local all the time your ship has gate cloak, but with a standard gate camp it wouldn’t make much difference as they already know your name and what ship you are flying from cloaked character in the previous system. It would be more useful for you in general, non-gate camp situations.
• All the points are moot anyway because as soon as you decloak, your ship shows on overview. Any decent gate camper has a blank hostiles only tab so you show up on the top row of the overview where a mouse pointer is already frantically clicking. You don’t have much chance unless you’re sub 2s or can MWD Cloak. Even then it’s not guaranteed.

Ok, I think from this thread, that Reddit post and just looking at stuff, I have a few points or things to look into.

1. Hecate can very easily get under 2 seconds align time while maintaining prettymuch all normal capabilities, which makes it a good fit (admitedly quite expensive for what it is).
  2. Prospect and Endurance should have a good chance with a cloak and sub-3 second align time (I wonder if the latter can do the cloak trick with no mwd).

Either way I’m now up to other things so figuring this out has to wait for quite a while.

One last thought, queuing manipulation to catch sub-2 second align ships should be considered an exploit if it’s real and/or patched out of the game. Not that it would affect me personally but just because of it’s nature and because it was brought up.

I can confirm the Endurance can align cloaked and warp off immediately after uncloaking, like the MWD trick without MWD.

1 Like
  1. FFS there is no queue!
  2. Why? Sub 2s is not immune. If he would find way to catch sub 1s ships. It would be exploit.
  3. By your idea. If I get lucky and match server tick time with my session change I get banned?
  4. EVE works like this probably since start. Why it would be exploit just now? Just because one person publicly explain how we connect to TQ?

I said “if it’s real”, which would have to be proven or denied. Also it’s about the “rolling” aspect of it like constantly re-docking or re-jumping into a system for the sole purpose of getting the advantage.

Just forget it but I still had to defend that precisely cut out quote you made.

Catching sub-2 second align ships would only be an exploit if CCP ever intended sub-2 second align time to be uncatchable. They didn’t.

You’re reasonably safe in an instawarp ceptor, but nowhere in EVE is 100% safe unless you’re docked up at an NPC station.

My experience with gate camps indicates that local chat in the camped system is not a primary source of intel. Local chat is a much more valuable source of intel in the adjacent systems where the scouts are.

That said, I think some other changes need to be made so that gate camps become more transient things. For example, permanent gate camps in or near high sec should rationally pull the attention of the authorities as it affects transportation, economy and tax flow. I could see some gate camps getting by for three months or so but eventually these NPC governments would close them down.

Also, system security ratings really should be more fluid things. A .5 system with a permanent gate camp seems more low sec to me than high sec and clearly if a permanent gate camp is there the NPC authorities are paper tigers.

1 Like

Participating in a gate camp is very near to 100% safe activity for the campers. It’s boring. But it’s not very unsafe.

I think that’s what makes gate camps so annoying.

Only one side of the interaction is being expected to take any risks.

That said: what I’d rather see them change is the mechanics of gate crashing. Not make it easier to bypass them. I wish they would make it easier to attack the campers and blow up their ships.

Then both parties to the interaction are taking a risk.

And example would be: Have the gates equipped with scramming modules. So if you aggress someone, the gate not only fire on you. It also scrams you, and you can’t warp away until you manage to get out of its scramming range.

Then you could bait gate camps. Send one guy in who looks like easy prey, and then 2 or three more come in after who can actually do battle. The campers are forced to remain on grid and fight it out.

2 Likes

Until a bait ship comes through with a fleet following it to break up your camp.

Edit: oh I see that’s where you also went with your post. Oops. :sweat_smile:

Why is it not possible now to bait a gate camp and does it require changes to gate crashing? And what would you change about gate crashing?

How many gate camps is actually baited and destroyer? How do you even bait gate camp if 90% of them have scout on other side? if not most gates in system.

1 Like

Yeah. Mostly carried out by people who never get bored doing the same thing over and over and over again until they die, which proves they were only zombies in mind but not in body.

I appreciate your solution. Its interesting. I would like to see it tried at least.

I would also like to see a way to remove long term gate camps permanently. Getting a group together to remove it once is feasible. Getting a group together to do it over and over again isn’t. Its as much boring game play as running the gate camp itself once you have done it a few time, or so I imagine. May as well join the campers if that unoriginal repetition floats your boat.

Many things in EVE need to be more dynamic and less repetitive.

1 Like