Jita Astronomical Observatory - Exploring New Eden - An EVE Online Astronomy Club

Hahahaha :smiley:

… 32 Minutes until my next small batch of Likes.

no, CCP removed the function of control towers showing distance in LY to other control towers owned by the same corp.
give us back that functionality and we could blast through this.

No one was questioning how rotating/moving a 3d map would change its appearance. With the “Abstract” feature enabled the map CERTAINLY looks wrong, and we already identified that, and with “Abstract” feature disabled the map looks more correct.

If you want to contribute you’ll have to do better than that.

Exccept we can’t reliably trust the distance in Lightyears reported in game. We’ll should verify it the old-fashioned way.

But one of the biggest flaws in what is a lightyear is the Eden Gate mentioned in the thread on this topic. It’s supposed to be 3 light years from New Eden, but can’t possibly be based on the map with abstract disabled?

Regarding the EVE Gate, it’d have to be observed from New Eden and a direction determined.

Actual orientation of systems differs so the orientation of New Eden would have to be determined by set-destinations to other systems.

Then The EVE Gate can be roughly placed on the map.

Does anyone want to undertake this dangerous mission?

Volunteers? haha

1 Like

We can.
They are actual distances.
Just because the sky boxes and nebula don’t look right doesn’t suddenly make distances wrong.
Also do remember every star with gates is meant to be a binary.

This is news to me. What’s the lore on that?

I don’t think we can trust in-game-distances until we can reliably demonstrate the distances to be true.

Background skyboxes shouldn’t be eliminated as a source of knowledge just because they don’t line-up well with supposed star positions…

It would be setting one’s self-up for disappointment to assume this project would reveal remarkable harmony, we’ll probably find a lot of inconsistencies.

1 Like

By the way. Through some trigonometry it should be easy enough to confirm that at least the mapped-stars distances are consistent as they are expected to be. That’s a start.

While the background skyboxes dont neatly fit, they are consistent enough to still be measured and useful.

I still say there has to be a way to define a lightyear in New Eden. And either confirm the distances reported by the game, or disregard those distances as something other than an earth-year definition of lightyear.

We literally have the actual coordinates of everything and ships have distances they can jump. These are concrete measurable things that demonstrate the distances are true.
If the sky boxes don’t agree then the explanation must be in the sky boxes, not in the measured distances being wrong.

Also see Stargate lore for binary systems.

1. We have something better, our eyes, by which to actually observe what’s actually there and actually map it.

The mapped star field is only a small, small portion of the New Eden Skies. And its “correctness” is only within itself. If you harmonize it to everything else, which can more-or-less be done, then you will probably have to disregard the stated distances.

It’s really quite easy to do. Say goodbye Earth-based lightyears. Perhaps whoever invented the Jump Gates rescaled lightyears to the year of their own home planet.

So our eyes which are subjective are better than hard objective data…
Look, I think this is a great project but if you are going to insist on throwing stuff out just because you don’t agree, then it’s doomed before you start due to disregarding the known facts in favour of alternative facts.
We know the distances, we have a standard year that matches earthsas clearly shown by the holidays, we know speed of light is normally constant, Carolines star being an anomaly. There is no reason at all to state that a light year is not a light year as we know it. And no reason to disregard actual measurable distances in game.

Our eyes are objective, it’s called measuring things lol.

The “hard data” you talk about are just coordinates on an undefined grid-system. There’s no way of knowing yet, or it has not been proven yet, what the units of that grid-system are.

You ASSUME that the units are the Jump Drive lightyears and other stated lightyear distances between systems.

But you have no way of knowing that until you measure it, and we have tools to attempt to measure it by.

If you’ve followed along in the thread on this specific issue, you’ll know that the next plan is to try and measure it with AUs, because an AU is internal to the each system and can be verified in its distances.

If we can therefore measure parallax, we can confirm actual distance with the game itself, and not what the game-lore says.

Also I’m not throwing stuff out because I don’t agree.

I’m throwing stuff out because IT DOES NOT AGREE with the observed facts from within the game.

We need to discover more and prove more to prove what the actual distances are…we CAN do this if we are lucky and the mapped star field is dynamic within a system.

Ok and now you’ve gone off the deep end with this.
Our eyes are not in the slightest objective.
And thus concludes me trying to talk to you on this and the usefulness of this project with your insistence on alternative facts

Don’t listen to Nevyn, he is just jealous.

You just don’t know what you’re talking about then. You’re contrarian to be contrarian.

You literally claim that because a game-developer tells you that an AU = 149,600,000,000km, and because a game developer tells you that it’s 0.9lightyears from Piekura to Mara, that this is true.

Well guess what, if parallax works within a star system because as you say, the mapped star field is actually there, actually on a grid with actual coordinates, then we can PROVE what the game developer says.

It’s just strange to me that he claims that the mapped star field is truly mapped…and we have a way of measuring parallax, therefore we can prove what the actual distances are…so what’s his deal?

Uh…

It’s 63,241 Astronomical Units per light year.

Don’t we want to prove that a 0.9light year jump between Piekura and Mara is actually 56,917 AUs?

We CAN do this, provided that the mapped star field is dynamic, as another user described in the lightyear thread.

As long as the mapped star field changes as you travel AUs across the solar system, we can measure Parallax.

Given we use the Earth->Sol definition for AU ingame, it would follow that Light Years are also using the same constant? If we had the old POS functionality for distances, this would be a lot easier as we’d have actual measurements to use.

In any event, great thread and some cracker turbonerding of the highest order. Well done good sir.

I’m honestly not even sure that we can say that the AU is accurate. We are in a position to measure that too, if we want to be excessively OCD.

But, ultimately we have to put together some observations and then be forced to conclude whatever the observations requires.

For instance, what if we assume the AU = 1 earth AU…then we actually are able to measure a distance between two points using parallax and find that the distance isn’t the same as the in-game jump drive distance?

Then we get to conclude that the in game light year, or the in game AU, are different. If we are able to measure an AU in game that’d be pretty cool. Theoretically we can…especially in small systems. Jumping between large distances in the thousands of km would let us arguably measure the AU distances.